Clio 182

mramage

Reaction score
Took a drive of Clio 182 today.

What a fantastic little car. With the recent talk of whether turbos were worth it, this served as a stark reminder of what a small car/(relatively) revy big NA engine combo was like.

Ok, the interior materials weren't Audi standards. The seats clunked a bit moving back and quite a bit of the plastics looked fragile. Nice leather/Alcantara though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's soon forgotten when it quickly put a smile on my face. Agile, steering feel and a lack of understeer. What's this, the rear end helping out. Not felt that properly in a while. Excellent ride comfort, very chuckable and just great fun. I haven't smiled so much when driving in a while. Then there was the engine. A noisy lump, but it came alive and produced surprisingly little torque steer in the process. S3 quick? Well, maybe not quite, but not a lot in it.

My wife and I had drove it thinking about maybe one for her, but you know, well, I loved the thing. The S3 seemed almost a little boring in comparison.

This review was brought to you by a surprised S3 owner who's been reminded of the fun in driving a small, fast, agile car that handles well.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm not sure if it's teh 182 but I managed to keep up with a clio sport the other day, overall think he'd kill me like, but still I was quite impressed with my A3. as for overall comparison audi wins, hands down in my opinion. not saying I wouldn't have a clio...........

my best mate has a 172 cup,...and to be honest theres is nothing at all between them in performance stakes....i am so so impressed with the cup..its amazing!

My last car was a MKII Clio172, and I have to say it's the most fun drive I had. Punchy engine, nimble chasis and has suprised many supposidly faster cars in it. Handling was excellent and forgiving, sharp turn-in, hardly any understeer and lift off oversteer upon request. Way better than my A4 quattro. For all my Audi's build quality, I'd still take the Clio for the driving experience alone.

I went from a TT to a 182 clio and do not regret it at all.

All i can say i go and have a test drive. Reminded me of 10 years ago and what a hot hatch used to be like.

Chris

Just recently wrote off my 172 and moved to an S3, I love the S3, its a Car, makes the clio feel like a Go-Kart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Clio however was a fantastic little motor, quick and very agile through the corners, I used to leave alot of cars behind in the twistys or see them keeping up by taking alot of "Racing" lines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back end feels light but you have enough sense through the steering to tell you were the "line" is so you get used to it.

Fair bit of Torque Steer but nothing the PS can't handle.

Great Car, I did consider getting a 182, even put a Deposit down on a Brand New one, but they couldn't deliver till late November (this ways August) so it was a no go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm not to bothered now, because I got an S3 instead.

i tried the 182 and to be honest prefered the crx mk2 i had at the time then went out in my mates R32 and a TT soon was trying a S3 and as such purchased it there and then.

What engine is in these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.giflittle monsters then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Taffy said:
What engine is in these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.giflittle monsters then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

2.0 16V

Same lump as my old Clio Williams 2, when it would start though.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Cracking car, amazing handling, just so unreliable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Came up against one of these tonight.

He was at some lights that were on red, I was approaching slowly in the outside lane in 2nd gear, as you do. I had a feeling he would go for it, but wasn't sure, so didn't floor it intially. Lights hit green. I was gently putting the throttle down in 2nd. So we were completely level from say 20-30mph onwards. THEN it was all out in every gear.

There was absolutely nothing in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It held my S3 (still with its power/hesitation problem, although it didn't occur during this race) and girlfriend passenger all the way to 120 when I decided to back-off as a car was in his lane up ahead. I didn't have enough poke to pull away from him.

On some gear changes I would move ahead, on some he would nose in front. Amazing side-by-side action.

I wasn't surprised by this, as we all know they are a quick little car. But what p#sses me off is the nagging doubt in my mind...my car has a problem, was my car performing to its full potential, would I have beaten it if my car was pumping out the full 225?

I have got to get this car fixed!!!!!!

AL

The final edition clio 182 trophy looks a pretty good little pocket rocket with some lovely seats...

press

clio cup is about 1010kg@182bhp=180bhp/t
audi s3 is 1450kg@225bhp=155bhp/t

Also it's 2wd so it has less transmission losses and according to evo mag has a identical 0-100 time to the s3 because of the s3's better torque delivery.

Should have been close and it was.

I seem to have been having a few tussles with civc type r's recently and have easily dispatched every one,you need to have a good 100bhp more to "pull away from a car"

The new clio trophy will be really great. A mate of mine has a 172 cup and its good this new 182 will be even better.

Evo seemed to rate it very high this month and even tried it against a new BMW M6.

It is meant to have some fancy suspension fitted which cost renault 10x more than the standard 182 and cup. Folk have said it looks like touring car stuff.

Cheers