A leading question I know, but are ...

wright758

Reaction score
Thanks for replies, I think that I can still do a deal when we finalise the spec at lock down the end of this month, Sat -Nav not interested in it, the missus can read a map /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif as long as she has it the right way up! still not sure about the 19" rims though, having read some posts on here about kerbing them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif cheers again for input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

... turbos really worth it?

I have never experienced a turbo-charged car, having always stuck to NA engines. I've been on this site for about a year and the one thing that strikes me is the number of posts related to turbos / their problems.

Are they all what they are stacked up to be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
that wigginer said:
... turbos really worth it?

I have never experienced a turbo-charged car, having always stuck to NA engines. I've been on this site for about a year and the one thing that strikes me is the number of posts related to turbos / their problems.

Are they all what they are stacked up to be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word - YES /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Try it, you might like it.

NO BOOST = NO GOOD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
NO BOOST = NO GOOD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I personally find N/A power a little dull... its to...well...you know. Turbos give you a nice punch in the back when you hit peak boost. Also, you get better fuel economy. The only 'replacement for displacement' is boost!

Turbo is like a drug - addictive. Once you've had some you can't get enough of it . In your case Rich, only the full boost from 300 bhp can satisfy your need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Turbo is like a drug - addictive. Once you've had some you can't get enough of it . In your case Rich, only the full boost from 300 bhp can satisfy your need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

EEEXXACTLY!!! The chip was the starter... im now moving onto the main course which should last me a while, then after thats settled it will be the whole hog upto 370-380bhp... Desert being the most expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i cant wait!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Rich, I'm actually quite tempted with this IHI turbo conversion, and wouldn't mind 300 bhp. Seems more expensive for the quattro application, either way, I WILL GET MY FIX! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

all of these comments are very very very valid but what they fail to mention is that a turbo is CRAZY FUN!is it worth it....absolutely. the out put of your engine will increase by more than you can imagine..with a turbo system...the sky is the limit...literally....you will be FLYING!

My TT was obviously turbo'ed and I had it chipped, exhaust etc. I found turbo lag quite low but it was still there and you have to think about this when pulling away. Overtaking means a bit more stick shifting to get it all spooled up.

I'm now is a n/a car and after getting used to the TT I was amazed at the difference. Power ready all the time and in abundance. Admittedly this is due to it being a 4.2 V8 but hey, it is n/a'ed.

I certainly don't miss the non-smooth power delivery and love the ultra smooth way I have it now.

The only thing I'd say is that my car doesn't feel quick. Nearly 400bhp and yet so smooth that you only know your speed by watching other cars go backwards and the needle fly around the clock.

Oh yeah and that exhaust noise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

My local Audi dealer in york had a performance weekend where you could take out any car for an hour so i jumped in the deep end and took a 53plate RS6 out never have i heard a breath taking noise from a car before. The power is something you cant describe unless you've driven one. Wish i could afford one now. Thats all folks.

I'm not trying to be funny or anything but they appear to the casual onlooker to be high maintenance! That's why I wonder whether they are worth it. It's obvious from the number of responses a lot of people think so!

Just curious ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I must say I heard an RS6 started up and manoeuvered from it's showroom stand whilst on one of my early visits to the Audi dealer. The sound at a slow idle was enough to get the hairs on the back of my neck to bristle ... I could definitely cope with a Bi-turbo.

Dream on ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

That Wigginer,
Hi mate The 4.7 Bi-turbo is amazing in the RS6, i'm sure if you ask your main audi dealer if you could take one out they'll let you. I stamped on the throttle and the power just pushed me back, my foot actuly came off the throttle pedal. Sitting at the traffic lights in park just blipping the throttle sounds amazing. Go on mate get down there and take one out...then look at your face when driving it.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
V8 from a Ferrari 360M has lots of soul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh the sound... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif Sounds more like a V10 than a V8...****** fantastic. Got one parked outside my window most days at work. The bloke who owns it is like 25!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif See thats just not right!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
...but they are still a bit thin on soul compared to some of the great NA engines...

Think of things like: Porsche's air cooled flat 6 in the 993, or the water cooled 3.6 flat 6 in the 996 GT3. The TVR speed 6, BMW's M3 / M5 engines, the venerable Rover V8...soulful, the lot of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any Audi greats in that list of soulful NA engines ... did I make the wrong choice?

[ QUOTE ]
that wigginer said:
I don't see any Audi greats in that list of soulful NA engines ... did I make the wrong choice?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion Audi don't make many greats...engines or otherwise.

The ur Quattro was a great car...truly great. And an engine to match...a turbo engine with soul...but not up there with the most 'soulful' in the world, in my view.

As far as I'm concerned, Audi do many things well...good engines, great build and interiors, average handling etc...but the package is superb...the combination of all the factors.
But this does not make it a great car.

Personally, I really like the NA V6 audi engine...turbine smooth...lovely. But not really soulful when compared to other 6's like BMWs in line 6, or Porsche's flat 6. Hell, the VW 12v VR6 has more soul.

VAG engines in general seem to be efficient, reasonably powerful, long lasting, but lacking in character - or soul. This is true - in my opinon - for both NA and FI.
Some do have character...just not as much as others in the sector...I love my 2.0 16v (ABF) Golf GTI engine...but compared to Honda's 1.8 VTEC (B18C) unit it is a poor relation.

This being said, I don't believe people buy Audis for the ultimate driving ability or character of the engine...they buy them for the whole package...a package that would make me buy another Audi any day.

I agree with glen but only partly - I am definately not anti turbo but I like to drive a car and hear it - it has to have a soul. The 1.8 20vt engine is soul-less it just doesn't have that hair stand up on the back of your neck feeling when you push the loud pedal! TVR Speed 6 or even the 12!, Porsche 911 Turbo (especially the crackle off the exhaust from a 993turbo), 1.8 & 2.0 Vtec, 5 cylinder 2.2 Audi turbo, Audi V6 biturbo. All these sound and go fantastic with minimal lag IMO. I'm not sayin the 20vt engine is a bad choice it is'nt I've owne a few cars with it and still have one but it never has that "ooh listen to that" as the whole high street turn round! noise to it - but it is incredibly easy to tune and make relatively quick but will always be a little sewing machine like in the sound dept. Suppose it's just personal opinion and taste - I loved the noise and acceleration of my rs6 it sounded like a B52 bomber just a pity it handled terribly and had a custard gearbox. I do like the howl (almost grand prix car stylee) off my RS4 though!