Gotta love the Italians..............

Mercurial

Reaction score
This from Autoexpress...

Monday 10th February 2003

Italy Raises Speed Limits

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif In a move which has outraged safety groups, Italy has raised speed limits in a radical bid to lower the annual 6,410 death toll on its highways.

Transport Minister Pietro Lunardi said it means a 93mph limit on motorways, and came about because research showed speed was only a factor in nine per cent of accidents. He added: "All psychologists and doctors say people who go faster drive better and are more careful." Richard Yarrow

Comments: 6 Article from: Auto Express

With the UK's culture of noncey political correcteness, what's the chances of this happening here?

Neil

But hey - Isn't there a kind of 'common law' limit on our m'ways already? i.e: as-f^^king-fast-as-you-can-go-unless-you-see-a-cop-car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

In reality, we are driving that 93mph limit. I reckon 50% of m'way drivers regularly drive at 85mph or above.

When you realize that the 70 limit was introduced back when we had cars that handled like shopping trollys and stopped like oil tankers, 100mph doesn't seem that fast. I reckon we should de-restrict some sections and introduce the kind of etiquette they have on the continent. Slower traffic moves out of the way of faster traffic and everyone gets there at their own pace.

Sounds like a grand idea to me........down with the speed limits and let us go as fast as we like.

Yep, the reality is that the government is brainwashing the country into thinking all speeding kills. An independent survey was done, I think, that showed only a small percentage of accidents were actually due to speed alone.

But keeping on the topic of motorways...

I also think that the majority of drivers do 80-95mph. But if they raised the limit to 80mph, wouldn't most drivers then do, 90-110?

Personally, I don't think most of our motorways are upto the correct standards to allow safe 100mph+ speeds. They are too undulating, they have bends which are too tight (for a motorway), there's too much traffic and the standard of drivers in this country is just terrible at times.

There may be the odd section of motorway which could be derestricted, but some idiots will still sit in the outside lane at 70 and cause huge tailbacks.

I think motorway speeds should completely variable all the time, depending on traffic conditions, weather etc. At night for example, when there's no one on them, you should be able to go as fast as you like IMO.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
I think motorway speeds should completely variable all the time, depending on traffic conditions, weather etc. At night for example, when there's no one on them, you should be able to go as fast as you like IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree Al. I'm sick of speed cameras on that are switched on, on dual carriage ways / motorways etc at 2 in the morning. The Govt should get intelligent with speed camera's as on the M25 (variable enforced limits) and drivers may respect them more.

Why should you get a ticket for doing 80 in a 70 at 11pm when there are no other cars etc. Conditions need to be considered when and before prosecuting.

People doing 80 on a motorway in snow and fog should be prosecuted, but drivers doing 95 on an empty motorway should not IMO.

Don't know if it is true, but I read somewhere that the italians don't use speed cameras. They do however have speed detection systems...

When entering a village from a country road you will come across a traffic light, some way back from the light there is a speed detector, if you pass it too fast it changes the traffic light to red, so you have to come to a halt. This means you will become more aware if your surroundings, and alter your speed through the village accordingly.

Superb. No-one gets hurt, no-one gets fined. Everyones happy.

Don't ever see it taking off in this country.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif