New Vectra LS

AL_B

Reaction score
What a fantastic car!! I don't want my S3 back, this is brilliant!!

Only joking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Yep, the hire car that I have been given whilst my S3 is in the dealers compound, is a brand new Vectra LS. At least it isn't a corsa or other shopping-trolley car.

Impressions:

Decent looking car until you get round the front and see the headlamps. So ugly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

Looks and feels huge compared to my S3. I'm not a fan of big cars. Massive boot though, so big I could rent it to some asylum seekers!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Interior: They've tried hard. The plastics are better than the previous model but...still not up there with VW/Audi. Doors give a good firm clunk, but again, not quite as solid as VW/Audi. Dashboard design is a bit too square, and blocky in design. But no rattling glovebox in this car, yet.

The drive: Well, power steering is light and easy to use. But no real ability to tell what the front wheels are doing. Clutch action is good. Gearbox is so stiff and lumpy its hard to get into gear. But it is a new car, so that might get better in time. Horrible plastic gear knob. The ride is very floaty. Surely not all cars in this class are this floaty? Are they? Seats - not good. A good driving position can be found but...they feel like theres too much padding in the shoulder area, and perhaps too firm, so much so I had an aching right shoulder after just 7 miles of driving.

Engine: No idea what cc it is, think its a 1.6 or 1.8. Must be 1.6, because nothing happens when you floor the right pedal. Absolutely nothing! You could not overtake anything in this car. Theres just no power.

Anyway, I'm going to "enjoy" having the Vectra for a few days, because it will make my S3 even sweeter when I get back in it on Friday. Can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

AL

I know what you mean Al. When my Golf was in dry dock I had the use of a Focus then an Astra and when I finally got back into the Golf it just felt like a league above those two in terms of interior quality and the overall driving experience.

I imagine with an S3 the difference will be even more marked.

Christian

Hey, don't go knocking the Corsa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Our second car is a (old shape) Corsa and it's suitably wide tyred and powered enough (1.4 16v) to upset many things. Totally ****** off guy in a Merc M class one day as he assumed he'd be able to out corner me on a roundabout when HE was in the wrong lane. Nope <Nelson> Ha Ha </Nelson> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

IMHO you'd have more fun in the new Corsa than the new Vectra.

Ok, I'm just trying to keep your mind off missing the S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My mate has got a 2.2 SRi, and its a bag of spanners IMO. Really don't like it. The weirdest bit are the inidcators. Touch once for them to come on for three flashes only and hold down for them to be on permanently.... weird.... and ****** awful. Mondeo is in a different league.

Mark

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Yeah, a little corsa would probably have been more fun.

Moff,

Yeah, I forgot to mention the ****** stupid indicators and the windscreen wipers. How do you swith the things off! Sometimes I usually knock the indicators off myself when coming out of a bend, instinctively did that this morning, and ended up going down the road with the left indicators coming on, then the right, then the left. It was stupid!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Same with the wipers, push wiper arm away from you to activate the rear wiper, then it wouldn't switch off! Think I pushed it forward again to switch it off. Wierd.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
. The weirdest bit are the inidcators. Touch once for them to come on for three flashes only and hold down for them to be on permanently.... weird.... and ****** awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi A4 also does this i'm afraid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jo,

Needed the car to be taken to the dealers ready for fitting when I get the coilpack, and in order to get a courtesy car from Audi.

The coilpack should have been with me yesterday, and I was due to have it fitted today, but there's been a setback with VAGparts supply from Germany. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AL

Gambba,

Yes, the Passat is probably a much much nicer car than the vectra.

I found out the other day (looked at the docs) that the vectra I had was indeed a 1.8l !! Can't believe it. It was totally underpowered for that size of car, and sounded dog rough.

Amazing what 20valves, variable-valve-timing, a turbo and vorsprung durch technik makes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AL

I've had a Vectra as a hire car ( http://audi-sport.net/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album04&id=aaa_sized ) and was quite impressed! Not that I'll be swapping mind, but for what it is it was okay; fairly tight, good brakes, comfortable and the interior is okay.

Not a patch on my baby, but like I say - for what it is....

Now the ****** Peugot 406 I have this time is another matter !!!: http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/newpost.php?Cat=1,2,4,3&Board=CarChat&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=