Porsche Carrera 2 - 996

stoakseya4

Reaction score
Anyone here have one, or driven one ?

The early 996 C2's are down to c£20k now, and what seem nice looking examples for c£23k. C4's starting at c£24k.

Maybe worth trading the S4 for ??

Would you still trade for an older higher mileage car?

I appreciate they are completely different cars, but you kind of get used to having low milers, don't you?

That said, a nice shiny car that's be well cared for can look much newer than it's age indicates...

Got to be very careful buying an old Porsche, they can eat money

Need to check rear main oil seal if it has ever been replaced or not??

Brakes, lower arms, breather systems all need to be checked carefully

Go for a C4s but save a little more cash then make the move

C_Audiboy said:
Ess-Three has a 996 C4, I think Dave_R may have a C2?

Boo...mine is a C4S...thar wide-*** makes all the difference you know!
...along with the turbo spec brakes, suspension, wheels, interior etc!

Go for it!
You'll fine some mint low milage examples in your budget...get a full OPC inspection and a decent warranty and enjoy the damn thing.
It's nice to have a car that's limited by your driving ability, rather than the car limiting your progress (as is the case with the majority of Audis)

You never, ever, loose that feeling of 'special' associated with a 911 of any age.

Ess_Three said:
Boo...mine is a C4S...thar wide-*** makes all the difference you know!
...along with the turbo spec brakes, suspension, wheels, interior etc!

Oooops...... me bad :sorry: the C4S is indeed a different beast!

i tried a 996 recently whilst looking for a new car in the 20-30k bracket. although it would be so nice to say "ive got a 911" it was slower, older and not as nice inside as the B6 s4. my brother in law bought a 2002 996 in feb this year. so far the dealer has had it 2mths he has had it 1 !! due to failed satnav, failed oilpump, smokey exhausts, luckily its all warranty having spent 32k on a car that he's hardly driven! if you checkout the adds most of them are high miles and lots have had replacment engines or boxes. i also tried an M3 csl , a new merc slk350, several B5 rs4's and a dodge ram 5.7 hemi (so i can put my motorcrosser in the back) but imo the b6 s4 avant was the best for the money. :icon_thumright:

SteveS said:
although it would be so nice to say "ive got a 911" it was slower,

Must have been a 3.4 you drove? 3.6s are considerably faster...

older and not as nice inside as the B6 s4.

Very true there...even the later facelift 996s aren't up to Audi standards. Comfortable...but not as well built, not a bling etc...
My S3 had a 'nicer' interior...although not as comfortable for proper press on driving.

But the one thing you get with a 911 that you don't with an S4, is the sense of occasion...the S4 never feels that special and it understeers...the 996 always 'feels' better to drive, and takes more learning...so hence to my mind, more fulfilling.

yes it was a 3.4 i drove and i totally agree- when i looked at the porsche and the black new shape slk350 they both looked like 25k+ cars and i felt i'd always enjoy seeing it sat there on my drive but the s4 just doesnt look like the money it cost me! its good - brilliant in fact but no one will ever believe its a 23k car, it looks like just an audi!

I think that the RMS is more of an iritation than a problem the later cars after 2000 are supposedly more robust (engine wise)than the earlier cars. As the cars get older a/c condensers and radiators get towards the end of their lives as do the brake discs so worth getting an inspection done. S4 is a good car and I may well own one one day but for me it has been spoilt a little by Audi's desire to cash in with the Sline models

neil.c said:
I think that the RMS is more of an iritation than a problem the later cars after 2000 are supposedly more robust (engine wise)than the earlier cars.

True. But my 2004 C4S has still had a replacement RMS.

As the cars get older a/c condensers and radiators get towards the end of their lives as do the brake discs so worth getting an inspection done.

I've also had 2 radiators and an AC condensor.
The radiators were porus...and the coolant corroded the AC condensor.

Not great...

Front discs wear out...but no faster than any other marque, if you use them hard, rears corrode away if you leave the car parked up after washing it and don't clear the brakes of water.
My rear discs have chunks of corrosion missing...4 new discs required before the first MOT.

Ess_Three said:
Front discs wear out...but no faster than any other marque, if you use them hard, rears corrode away if you leave the car parked up after washing it and don't clear the brakes of water.
My rear discs have chunks of corrosion missing...4 new discs required before the first MOT.

Oh great! I've got this to look forward to with the Boxster aswell, although I always give the brakes a good run after washing to try and minimise the risk.....

C_Audiboy said:
Oh great! I've got this to look forward to with the Boxster aswell, although I always give the brakes a good run after washing to try and minimise the risk.....

If you use it everyday, they'll be fine.

I tend to wash mine before I go offshore...then it sits for 2 weeks with the water corroding the rear discs away...because I never used to take it round the block to dry off the brakes.

If you use it everyday, it doesn't happen to the same degree.

Got it about 3 weeks ago. And yeah, Seal Grey :)

I just love it - a whole different driving experience altogether. The noise, the chassis, the steering all fantastic. Couple all that with a solid build and good interior (mines a 987), I'm a very happy chappy so far.

More piccies here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=40222

I think my lowly 2.7 245 BHP Boxster is awesome - your C4S must be the dogs ********!

Although I did really want a Cayman, but I think I've done the right thing and saved ten grand :p

C_Audiboy said:
Got it about 3 weeks ago. And yeah, Seal Grey :)

Nice...a bit of a change from your A3!

I just love it - a whole different driving experience altogether. The noise, the chassis, the steering all fantastic. Couple all that with a solid build and good interior (mines a 987), I'm a very happy chappy so far.

Yeah, just a more complete driving experience. You feel as much through your feet, hands, bum etc...brilliant.

Very nice. I think the 986 to 987 change was a lot more successful than the 996 to 997 in it's looks. I'm still not taken with the 997...but the 987 is lovely.

I think my lowly 2.7 245 BHP Boxster is awesome - your C4S must be the dogs ********!

It's different...
The Boxster is easier to get to grips with...more neutral, easier to drive.
The 911 takes more learning.
Out on the road there is little in it...I've played with 986, 986S, 987, 987S, 964 and 993s...and on a decent run with capable drivers there is really very little between them. The 911 is probably a little more quirky and hardcore...but harder to get to know.

Although I did really want a Cayman, but I think I've done the right thing and saved ten grand :p

Can't argue with that!
Enjoy it...it's a beauty! :yes:

Enjoy the car Audiboy I love the car and the colour

Just sold an 05 seal grey 987S a couple of weeks ago :)

A bit of bad luck with your front end plumbing there Glenn lucky for the warranty eh.

Ess_Three said:
Very true! I wouldn't own it without having a Porsche Approved Warranty.
£895pa is cheap insurance.

Mmmmm, I've been considering this since I got the car as the warranty has just run out....

I'm hoping that as its fairly new I don't get any issues, but as I know 'hoping ' will probably leave me skint when something breaks!

But £895 for a warranty on a 2 year-old car..... Ouch!

What to do? :think:

Ess_Three said:
Very true! I wouldn't own it without having a Porsche Approved Warranty.
£895pa is cheap insurance.

Especially if something serious happens to the engine.

Audiboy you should have got a Porsche warranty thrown into the deal. You could run it for a year without then if something went wrong hope for a goodwill gesture from Porsche but it could be hassle

C_Audiboy said:
Mmmmm, I've been considering this since I got the car as the warranty has just run out....

I'm hoping that as its fairly new I don't get any issues, but as I know 'hoping ' will probably leave me skint when something breaks!

I don't want to take the chance...

But £895 for a warranty on a 2 year-old car..... Ouch!

What to do? :think:

I won't do without.
PSE RSH silencer replaced = £700
RMS repalaced = £600
Air con condensor / radiators = £1300
Already...

New engine? £10,000+
New gearbox? £6000+

It's a £80k car...£895 seems cheap insurance against potentially crippling bills, in my book.

Fek me you have had a few parts replaced on your 996 C4S Glenn I thought it was only about 2.5 years old, I had 2 years trouble free motoring with my 987S but at least the warranty sorts it out

neil.c said:
Fek me you have had a few parts replaced on your 996 C4S Glenn I thought it was only about 2.5 years old, I had 2 years trouble free motoring with my 987S but at least the warranty sorts it out

It IS under 3 years old!
2 oil leaks (not RMS)
1 RMS
2 radiators
1 air con condensor
1 PSE rear box
1 horn

2 rear discs corroded away, and 2 front discs worn out....so it'll need full discs and pads soon.
1 pair of rear tyres worn out so far...fronts still OK.

God how depressing !

What am I letting myself in for?!

What after-market warranties are there, rather than the Porsche £895pa one??

Anyone else do something similar to Hartech's Lifetime Maintenance Plan?

No other warranties are worth bothering with as the Porsche one covers most of the expensive stuff without an upper price limit. We sold our Boxster before the warranty ran out and the first service was due but had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever

stoakseya4 said:
God how depressing !

What am I letting myself in for?!

What after-market warranties are there, rather than the Porsche £895pa one??

If you buy a good car, you should have no worries...it'll come with a warranty from a dealer anyway.

Personally, I like the Oficcial Porsche Warranty...and just see it as part of the running costs associated with running a £80,000 car.

Many of the jobs I've had done I could probably have done myself, or lived with...but with a warranty, why bother?

At the end of the day...despite mine having a few things go wrong, I just can't bring myself to be upset by them as it's still the best car I've ever driven, by a long stretch.

You can't say fairer than that.
you can figure it two ways. Get an older car lose less on depreciation and spend more on running costs or get a newer car and lose your cash on depreciation (hopefully), either way it will cost you a few thousand to run a 911 but you can keep costs down by staying away from the OPC (although their labour rates are similar to Audi's) If you have the finances to own a 911 then do it, at least once anyway
I just dug this photo out of the new ride

DSC00858new.jpg

Not quite so lairy as a speed yellow C4S but fun all the same :)

neil.c said:
you can figure it two ways. Get an older car lose less on depreciation and spend more on running costs or get a newer car and lose your cash on depreciation (hopefully),

True, true...

I went for new because
a) I wanted such a specific spec that I'd never find it used
b) I had a decent redundancy package burning a huge hole in my back pocket
c) I'm a bit stupid and have never been known to think sensibly about cars...they are emotive decicisions, not rational ones.

I don't regret the decision I made...and since there is still nothing out there that I lust after more than my current 911...I can see 'us' being together for a very long time.

either way it will cost you a few thousand to run a 911 but you can keep costs down by staying away from the OPC (although their labour rates are similar to Audi's)

I find mine no cheaper or dearer to run than my S3.
Similar fuel economy, similar servicing costs (dealer costs), parts are dearer for the 911, but then again it doesn't chew through them like the S3 did (dampers, bushes, track rod ends)
Brake wear/costs is about the same...same with tyre wear.

If you have the finances to own a 911 then do it, at least once anyway

I agree...but only if the challenge of a 911 floats your boat. They aren't easy to drive compared to some...they take learning...but are very rewarding.
If you lust after one...do what you need to do to get one whilst you are young enough to really enjoy it for the car it is, rather than the badge on the front.

I just dug this photo out of the new ride

DSC00858new.jpg

Not quite so lairy as a speed yellow C4S but fun all the same :)

Very nice!
Much more subtle than my beast.

While we're discussing 997s, check out the courtesy car I had over night!!!

[URL="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/chrisbw1092/Porsche/CC3.jpg"][/URL]

Not bad huh! I had a very interesting day and a half with it. Just so quick and so refined, its much quieter than the Boxster but I suppose its better insulated. Its got a very slick gearbox and the engine is fantastic at high revs. It just seems so composed and never felt like it was going to get out of shape, but then again I wasn't driving that hard.

Having the choice I'd opt for a C4 to help get all that power down though.

If I had a spare 70k I know where my money would be going!

I had a Guards Red C2S for 24 hours...full aerokit, sports exhaust, multi spoke alloys etc...
Nice car. more top end than mine...but nowhere near as fast point to point on a wet February day!
I had it almost pointing the wrong way several times...with the PSM switched on.

The PASM switchable suspension was a joke too...fine on the normal setting but silly hard on the 'Sport' setting - and my 996 has the Sports Chassis (lower, stiffer, bigger ARBs etc) - it was unusable on the road, on the 'Sport' setting.

The engine is a peach though...noticably more top end than the 3.6 996 unit.

Overall...it just wasn't as quick out of corners or off roundabouts as my C4S 996.
I suspect the 997 C4S would be quicker though...especially in Powerkit form. Pity it doesn't look as good as the previous wide body cars (to me anyway...it's not special enough)

Oh very nice!

Love the first photo, with all those flies stuck to the front. You can just tell you gave the car a good caning that day!

I have always liked the post 2002 C4S it looks more macho with the turbo lights and the bigger air intakes not to mention the extra width at the rear, the 996 of choice
Our 997 is a C2 cos as Glenn said the C2S or C4S just don't look special enough for the extra cash, bizarrely even the insurance quote for a C4 was about twice the price of the C2

Looks like a decent spec Carrera they lent you C Audiboy :)
Just dug out a picture of the Boxster S

Boxster2.jpg

Seal Grey seems to be a popular colour...
It was my fallback colour (Seal Grey, no aerokit, standard wheels, black interior) incase my bottle went when speccing mine.
It's a classy colour...

But I'm pleased I opted for something a little less sombre! :yes:

To many greys silvers and dark colours around at the minuite, it is a shame the roads could be a much brighter place. Probably be a few less accidents too

Where are all the red ones ?!!

And white. That's what I'd have given the choice. Gotta have balls for white!