Can someone please unravel the mystery?

wigginer

Reaction score
This is probably in the wrong forum but ...

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms the detail on Audi wheels, replicas, originals and the related terminology surrounding RS?? etc.

It's doin my head in

ta

RS4, RS6, RSTT ... am I being thick but what's the relationship between the car series and the wheels. Is it a standard wheel on these cars when they first came out, or what?. I'm an Audi neophyte so please excuse.

My wheels, to me, are 9-spoke 18" alloys ... what would you guys call them?

But there is a difference between RS4 wheels and RSTT's which is the finishing of the spokes, it's hard to explain without pics.

rs4 wheels ... the dead around the inside of each spoke, tapers out to nothing, on RSTT's it goes all the way around.

cant edit post, time exceeded, but "dead" is a typo.. meant to say bead...

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
cant edit post, time exceeded, but "dead" is a typo.. meant to say bead...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought maybe it was reference to a wheel that's been involved in a few road kills... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just to test my understanding, even though I ordered 9-spoke 18" alloy wheels from Audi ... they are replica RSTTs!!!

If so are they fitted by the dealer or at the factory?

Audi don't make the wheels anyway, so they're all technically after market. Ronal make most of the alloys for Audi and since these wheels have become so popular, Audi seem to have got Ronal to produce versions for all flavours of vehicle. I saw some in the showroom recently on an A2! So your's will be made by Ronal & fitted at the factory, unless your car was already in the UK when you ordered it, in which case the dealer would have ordered the wheels and had them fitted locally (Audi dealers don't have the capability to fit & balance wheels).

they complain like hell, and split brake fluid all over mine, but they can actually fit and balance wheels...

I think you'll find they take them down the road for tyre fitting & balancing, probably why they complain like hell as its a pain in the **** for them. Obviously they can fit the actual wheels, I can fit the wheels. I don't know of any dealership that will invest in the machinery for tyre fitting & balancing, would not be cost effective.

My dealer has all the equipment for fitting and balancing wheels and tyres, along with computerized wheel alignment stuff.
I actually saw them do tyres and wheels one day when I was browsing around in the the workshop (while the guys were aligning my wheels).
Must say its a pretty big dealership tho...... (the bills i normally get are atleast as big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif).
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif