Scooby

voorhees

Staff member
Reaction score
my brothers moving to the darkside and wanted some advice, I'm clueless (as usual) anyone got any ideas what to go for/avoid

Get a fresh import and then he can modify it as he so desires......I spent £5K on mine! Normally they are quite low mileage and rarely come with any history or paperwork.
STI's are great but normally they have been driven like I don't know what. I looked at a few STI's and was not impressed by any of them I saw.
He could take it to Scoobymania who will service it etc. I had mine checked out before I bought it by them.

Tonya Rosey said:
Get a fresh import and then he can modify it as he so desires......I spent £5K on mine! Normally they are quite low mileage and rarely come with any history or paperwork.
STI's are great but normally they have been driven like I don't know what. I looked at a few STI's and was not impressed by any of them I saw.
He could take it to Scoobymania who will service it etc. I had mine checked out before I bought it by them.

You're advising somebody to buy a car with no history!! Sorry but for something like a Scooby you need plenty of history. Also 99% of all turbo Scoobys not just STi's have been "driven like I don't know what" that's why 99% of people buy ANY!! performance car. The STi engine is a hell of a lot stronger than the normal WRX/UK Turbo engine. There's something like an 80% difference between engine parts in the normal turbos & STi's

I was going to buy a fresh import STi. Changed my mind cos i'd rather know how much the previous owner(s) have actually put into looking after the car ;)

I'd def go for an STi. Altho this obviously depends on how much he wants to spend on the car & insurance etc.

I had £9k to spend when I was looking. I wanted an Jap import STi Type R V ltd version 5/6(Jap version of P1) I didn't want a fresh import cos i know that with this particular model things can go horribly wrong. I couldn't find 1 that I really liked for the £ I had. Most had had far too many owners in a short amount of yrs. Sketchy history etc.

I then decided I wanted an Evo for a couple of reasons, 1st, a lot more rare than Scoobys, 2nd, engines are stronger, especially when they've been tuned slightly, ie, running higher boost. Evo's are easily good for 400bhp without needing to up grade internals. The weakest part on the Evo is the clutch. You can destroy a new clutch in 1 really aggressive standing start. Most people just fit Evo 7/8 clutches/flywheels as they're stronger as standard ;)

Anyways, back to Scoobs, they're great cars, handle like they're on rails, flat 4 is an engine note to die for & they're not slow neither. I've had a mildly modded UK turbo before & if it came to it i'd def have 1 again.

Would actually love to have the new RB320. I'd actually consider that over a newer Evo if I was in a position to afford 1 of them ;)

BTW, you can get a really nice bugeye STi version 7 for very reasonable money these days. Not many people like them but all you have to do is make sure it's got the smoked STi front lenses or change them for the prodrive upgarde & they look awesome.

Craig :cool: