Oh Dear - maybe the worst loaner you can get...

audi_girl

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
From an Audi Dealer: I just dropped the S3 off for a couple of days work and picked up my 1.4TDi A2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

First thing is that the car feels surprisingly spacious inside - you don't feel like you're in a small car. So far so good........

Then you go to drive off - I guess because it's a small TDi engine this is the problem - but you almost get a bruise on your foot pressing the accelerator because it is so resistant to actually moving forwards. You also have to move your whole leg to get to the brake pedal from the accelerator as the height difference is so much. Plus there's not quite enough room next to the clutch to rest your left foot, so it almost gets trapped under the clutch pedal (or you have to leave it hanging in the air).

Having said that, the brakes are tight and it's pretty good build quality......

Just not looking forward to my journey round the motorway to work tomorrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jo, I got an A2 TDi a few months back. It didn't have any of the problems you mention, not that I noticed anyway. Maybe it's my lead foot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It certainly felt quite brisk, if not enough to be called "quick". Nice though, was impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Maybe it's just the one you've got. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention the best bit....

The front windscreen posts (which are about 2x as thick as my forearm) are exactly in the place you look to your left/right when appproaching a roundabout... in fact they are big enough to obstruct an entire mini roundabout, and a car... you can't even see the right hand kerb of the roundabout as you are going around - I spend the whole journey bobbing backwards and forwards to keep checking a blind spot.. in front of me !!!!

Hehe My foot was pretty lead, but it was just resistant to moving!!!

That's nothing, at least it was an Audi! When I had to put Minger into the bodyshop they gave me a Peugeot 206 HDI which - I can tell you - needed a severe beating before it would respond favourably to my needs. The time before that they gave me a Ford Ka for a day. It limped back. Both cars have since been taken into care suffering from extreme trauma and all kinds of abuse. If they'd given me something decent it would never have happened.

Hehehehehe - yeah I had a Peugot 406 1.8 (apparantly an equal car to an S3!) which lasted about 4 hours before dying a death - don't know why they waste their money on clapped out cars, must cost them more in the long run !!!!

I have had the 1.4Tdi A2 as a courtesy car and I don't think they should be on the road because of those front A pillars - you have to make an effort to look round the pillars all the time - Engine was good though - 3 cylinder PD - that good I bought a 1.4TDi polo - for 70bhp it gets me to work and back - and it has the torque to compensate for lack of power - it is surprising how torquey and nimbel the engine is, even after driving a 320bhp Audi.

...plus despite my leaden foot, it refused to do less than 40mpg. I liked it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was kinda cool...

I've never understood why they supply the bottom of the range courtesy car. They are really missing a trick. Imagine if you took your S3 in and they give you an RS4 for the day, or you take in your S4 and get handed the keys to an RS6. You would not want to go back to your own car. They should use this opportunity to sell you up the range, rather than be relieved to pick up your own keys at the end of the day. I've never had a courtesy car that was even as good as my own, let alone better. The worst one was an old style Mondeo from a VW dealership. All I can remember about it was that the height adjustment on the drivers seat, just tipped you forward, so you felt you were going to slide to the floor. Great days.....

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
I've never understood why they supply the bottom of the range courtesy car. They are really missing a trick. Imagine if you took your S3 in and they give you an RS4 for the day, or you take in your S4 and get handed the keys to an RS6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let`s see......cost, cost and cost!

So you guys really aren't keen on the A2 are you?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It's not such a bad car! You do get used to the thick A-pillars. I too thought they were a nightmare at first, but as with everything it takes time.

The rest of a the car makes up for it, as it really is a fun car to drive. Besides all of you with large petrol engines, the majority of petrol cars require a gear change down to gain some power. The A2 has plenty of torque ready and waiting in 4th or 5th gear without changing down. It's this kind of thing coupled with the handling that makes it great to drive over long distances. I've already taken mine 2000 miles across Europe last summer.

Plans for the future are chip tuning and a Milltek exhaust from AmD to boost the torque even more. Should be fun!

By the way, there is sometimes a spare tyre - it is a no cost option, specified at purchase. My ex-demo A2 didn't have one so I ordered it anyway and strapped it in under the boot floor.

Stuart.

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Quite cute to look at though!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Aren't girls classic!

Stuart I liek your car, understand in terms of torque.

Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I got an A4 diesel with only 120 miles on the clock at SKF Bolton- it was quite impressed, especially as when I took my Prdrive Imprezza in for the last service before I got rid the dealer gave me a Justy with 90000 on the clock as a courtesy car- now that was a truly awful car!