Washing the Car

Joshie

Reaction score
I could't resist it on Saturday - even though it was hovering around freezing I just had to do something to get rid of the greasy black coating and restore the car to its former glory.

My neighbors think I'm mad (so what I thought) but after thawing out the hosepipe in the bath /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I gave the car the once over. As the water hit the ground in froze /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifso a trip to Homebase was needed to buy a bag of rock salt.

Well worth it though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyone else do the same over the weekend?

Glad it wasn't just me who spent time thawing out the hosepipe over the weekend. 2 buckets of hot water over the reel and plenty of stamping on the reeled out hose (not good I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) finally did it.

Car looks like sh1t again after 25 mile drive to work this morning

Gren

I washed the Golf on Saturday morning, don't think it's ever been so caked in *****. I was hungover to make matters worse but it was satisfying once it was finished and stood gleaming on the drive. Then I drove 20 miles in the afternoon and it was filthy again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif....why do I bother.

Christian

2 weeks ago, I did the full monty and spent about 3 hours doing the whole car. Since then it is minging /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif It is so covered in cack that its becoming hard to see my rear reg (I know its illegal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). I resisted this weekend and just as well because I followed a truck to work for a while down some back lanes and got covered in horrible muddy, salty brown water.

I'm going to treat it to a quick jet spray during the week, and wait until a nice weekend.

Please be summer soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me to, Saturday was warm enough and I was itching to clean it after lasts weeks bad weather.

However, one late Saturday night outing including some ESP discovery in a car park meant it was boggin' on Sunday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh, that Meguires Gold Wax stuff, is it abrasive at all or can it be applied often (at most every 2 months) without any problem?

Definately not abrasive. I am very impressed with it.

I polished the car early Nov and have washed/leathered about 6 times since and it still has that deep 'just polished's shine.

Only a tenner or so as well.

David

I agree with David. Its not abrasive at all.

To be honest I didn't need to wax my car at all yesterday. Water was still beading nicely on it, and the paint work still felt smooth. The wax really does last a long time on the car. But I just couldn't resist.

I did the whole car just before the VW Northwest meeting in ??? 2002 (can't remember the date now) for the first time. And topped up the front with wax in September. Even at the weekend I only did the front and rear bumper/hatch after removing some tar spots.

AL

Black car certainly looks more shiny than a silver one. Here's mine after the meguiars treatment...

VWNW0002-800x.jpg

...taken at VW Northwest, ****** point and shoot camera, captured onto Kodak PictureCD. Need to get a proper camera at some point.

AL

Well there you go Moff. That shut everyone up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Pictures of our gleaming 14.5s 1/4 mile S3's!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Conversation killers hehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just got back from the jet wash, not quite as clean as in the pics, but looking better now than before. It did have 'gunmetal' black alloys, and I coudn't see my rear reg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif