What petrol do you use?

Which Petrol

• Total voters
Company fuel card so of course Optimax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I feel all excluded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Look on the bright side, at least you can sit back and think how good it is to only have fill your car once every 600 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm only getting marginally over 300 miles from £48 woth of Optimax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I feel all excluded

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wonder if Shell (or another fuel co.) will ever produce a similar diesal equivalent to Optimax considering the growing number of oil burners? Thats if its possible?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel all excluded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Look on the bright side, at least you can sit back and think how good it is to only have fill your car once every 600 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm only getting marginally over 300 miles from £48 woth of Optimax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lucky - I get about 240 to the tank of Optimax !!!!

I can't get 48 quids worth of fuel in! Ran it all the way down to 30 miles on the DIS this week, over 500 miles (wasn't being careful) and only managed to get 45 quid in, right up to the top.

Unleaded for me!
Not much choice in the matter - 90 mile round trip for SUL. 120 miles for Optimax!
I fill up with Optimax when I can, but that's probably only 1 tank in 10.

I tend to get bewteen 270-300 out of a tank of Optimax. My fuel consumption seems to have changed from 26ish mpg to 27ish, engine must be a bit looser since doing 13k?

I remember there being some rumours about Optimax being stopped.... anybody hear about that?

It was about the time of the rumours (on the old a-s.net) that I noticed Shell doing huge Optimax advertising at all the petrol stations....

I know that this post will not find favour with most of you but I have stopped using Optimax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Apparently Optimax is bog standard 95 RON with octane boosting chemicals added to bring it up to 97/98 RON. And I am not convined that adding Millers to Optimax will generate another 2 RON enabling 100RON to be achieved. That sounds like filling up with unleaded (95RON) and then sticking two bottles of Millers in and expecting 99RON - I just don't think it works like that.

I believe that using Super unleaded at 97RON and adding Millers WILL certainly result in 99 RON even though this costs more.

If anyone has any information to persuade me of the error of my ways then I would appreciate it.

When I first got my S3 I used Optimax, but then I had to fill up a few times at a non-shell non-SUL garage so just had to use normal unleaded.

To be honest, I couldn't even tell the difference!

Now I fill up with regular unleaded as the rule rather than the exception, although every now and then I do 'treat' the car to a full tank of Optimax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alex.

Yeah I wasn't convinced about the Optimax / standard issue.

But then the other day I got in the car and she just felt really really flat. Couldn't figure out what the matter was until John reminded me I had filled it up with standard fuel the night before....

That would be interesting. Al B told me about an article that EVO ran where they did a proper comparison between Optimax and normal 95RON. Optimax did have an effect on both performance and the cleanliness of the valve gear etc, in some cases quite a dramatic effect. Hopefully Al will spot this post and give us the details.

Christian

Sorry no oil or petrol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
100% finest Diesel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thats most strange, when I came to this post I had an 'outgoing' cookie labelled 'exxonmobil.com', the petroleum company mmmmm. My firwall software noticed it and I blocked it.

Petrol usually starts out as pure octane (100RON) this is then diluted with additives to bring it down to the desired RON, this could be why supermarket unleaded is usually so bad, they dilute it with other refining by-products to get rid of them, rather than using ones that clean etc