My old Saab

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
So this made way for the Audi

My 08 Saab 9-3 TTiD Aero

Twin Turbo engine was great, basically the same set up as Audi's Bi-Turbo engine. Really economical and fast too.

I think its fair to say that Saab cars are more associated with older drivers, but being only 23 at the time, i wanted to try one out. Mine certainly didnt look like an old man's car, and felt right at home at the local cruises.

I thought it was a great looking car and no matter where i went it always got complemented.

10040152633_f635a71fdd_b.jpg

10046604804_f440464321_b.jpg

10052457866_cf89d0616f_b.jpg

D6FEE91B-442D-443C-8660-D44B300CE3C2_zps9ebe52f1.jpg

I will miss it, one of the most comfortable cars ive ever drove. When i got into the Audi though i noticed the difference in cabin quality.

Reactions: warren_S5
That's a good looking car. I respect Saab's philosophy but it's just a shame they were hamstrung by GM and their woeful donor platforms. Saab worked miracles with them.

Reactions: kanecullen89
yeah, its based on the Vectra C Epsilon platform. The Saab is such a superior car, and its the reason why they went bankrupt. GM wanted all cars produced from them to be cheap cheap cheap but Saab wouldnt listen, they developed nearly every component by themselves, creating a stronger and more expensive luxury car compared to other brands under GM, this aggravated GM and cost them a lot more money. They finally gave Saab the boot shortly after.

The last car ever built by Saab as we know them, the beautiful 9-5

9-5-aero-8_653.jpg

Yet again, sharing an extended Vauxhall Insignia platform

Such a shame for Saab, GM destroyed them. They have been given a breath of life again, a Chinese consortium, National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVs) bought the remaining Saab assets and are building Saabs again in Sweden. With luck, hopefully they will be producing cars again in the UK

My brother is a big Saab fan. He buys up all the 9000s he can find. If they're bad, he breaks them for a living. If they're good he keeps them and runs them til they're bad, then breaks them for a living. That 2.3 turbo engine is a beast!

Saab wouldnt listen, they developed nearly every component by themselves, creating a stronger and more expensive luxury car compared to other brands under GM, this aggravated GM
Saab did much the same in the 1970s when they shared the slant-four engine with Triumph. Whilst Triumph spent all its money on warranty claims for bendy cylinder heads, Saab redesigned the engine so that it worked properly. Oh, yes, and then in 1978, they added a turbo.

Last edited:
Reactions: warren_S5, Brennan and jojo
I had one of those before I traded it in for my Audi. I had the MapTuner for it to boost the power up to 210bhp, it was a flying machine, but I was getting fed up of the constant DPF/Limp Mode problems, so it had to go.

Saab30Saab14Saab11Saab8Saab2

Reactions: Brennan
Nice, basically identical to my old one, aside from the wheels. I never had any issues with mine, was yours TTiD?

Nice, basically identical to my old one, aside from the wheels. I never had any issues with mine, was yours TTiD?

It was mate, a TTiD Aero (180). It was back to the garage about 3 times trying to get the problem fixed. It was a real shame, because when it worked, it REALLY worked :D

exact same as mine buddy, twin turbo set up was one of the best in the business :) I got constant dpf problems where it was constantly trying to regenerate if i drove the car fast, but apart from that i had no issues. Supremely comfortable car to drive and be in.

I'd the 1.9 TiD with the Hirsch upgrade, boosted to 175 bhp. Grand car but ate front tyres like they were going out of fashion.... Averaged 42mph over 10,500 miles so not hard to run. Needed back in a BMW tho, chopped it in for an e92 after a year.

BMW has gone now and an A5 is in the wings...

lol lots of ex Saab now Audi owners lol

Oh dear, so maybe my mate will end up with an Audi, mind you he has had far too many, 96 + 95 + 99 + 900 + 9000, then a 9-3 - his wife got him to bin that, too much VX bits, so he is back to 9-5s again, and petrol autos, though there is still a little red 96 hiding in his garage waiting to get taken for a spin!

Reactions: Brennan