Porsche 996 Turbo

Ryanc

Reaction score
What do you guys think of these,seriously considering one ,hopefully with the x? pack.Mtm do a chip for one thats pushes the power to 500+bhp!!
My other cheaper alternative is a nissan skyline gtr r34 with some simple mods
power in the 420bhp region.

I have one ryan and coincedently an imola S3 too.

I love my 996 Turbo and they are getting more and more affordable. Mine has the X-51 pack which is said to be 450hp. (im not totally sure as i bought mine used).

It doesn't sound like a lot but believe me, it is too fast for the road when pushed (i thought i would never say that)

Downsides are the maintainence costs, mine eats tyres and brake discs but maybe its just how i drive.

It sounds like a bag of hammers on tick over - they all do this apparantly!

Im terrified to leave it anywhere because everytime i do there is a crowd of BMX bikes peering through the windows.

and last but not least they are starting to lose money in ways 911's have never done before.

Hi nervus,
Thanks for the input,996t is still my firm favourite,quite hard to find with the x-51 pack.Is there anything you have option wise or colour ,thanks.

Ryanc,
Mine is bassalt black. It came with quite a bit more kit than my previous 911 4S, so im not sure what was standard on the turbo. I know the Aero kit (rear bi-plane spoiler and front lip) were extra's as was the X-51 and it has a carbon fibre tunnel and medium dash pack.

The bits that im not sure if they are standard or not is the sat-nav (which i still can't work out) and Xenon headlights.

I wouldn't be too concerned about finding one with the X-51 as im sure its just a Porsche ECU upgrade ala GT2 spec but maybe im wrong. I got mine from a dealer in leeds and the salesman knew less than me about them.

Where abouts you from ryan?

[ QUOTE ]
nervus, just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living to afford to run a 996 and an S3 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure i can afford to run both mate, buying them is one thing but running them is a joke at the minute.

Its not a case of what i do for a living as many of my friends have similar salaries and run standardish cars, its more about what else you go without for stupid cars.

If i bought a larger house or had kids or both i'd be running a honda insight.

[ QUOTE ]

Its not a case of what i do for a living as many of my friends have similar salaries and run standardish cars, its more about what else you go without for stupid cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true................, its amazing how many Beemers, mercs and now porkers you see in and around my old town of bradford (when I go back an see parents).... then you see the sh1tholes some of the cars are parked outside. (not saying your place falls into this cat. nervus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif)

Hi nervus,
I've seen a 996t which was called exclusive or something,might be something to do with the extras as you say,fancy bodykit etc.
I've been told that the x-51 pack comes with the gt2 turbos rather than just the ecu upgrade as mtm can extract more horses out of the x-51 pack car.
I live in leicester,will be keeping the s3 as it's been a great car and i've spent alot on it.
Do you have any pictures of the 996tt,pm me if you prefer.

Hi,
Oh i knew it was the same as the GT2 power wise but i didnt know they had different turbochargers.

I have some photos here on my work pc but there crap quality. They will show better if i send them to a private e-mail addy. If you want any specific ones taken just let me know and ill post them to you.

X50 pack on the 996 TT comes with bigger turbos, different engine internals in some places and different intercoolers.

As it happens, the turbos on the 996 TT are easy to change and you can now get some nice blueprinted hybrid ones which with a sensible remap will easily achieve 580 bhp with back-breaking torque. Lovely....