s2000

Masterm8fo

Warmonger
Reaction score
What you guys think of these ??

my mate just bought a 53 plate in sky blue metallic and fitted an HCS air induction kit to it

I gotta say it is a great drive - when the V-TEC kicks in it sounds like a race car
I drove it about on wednesday and could not help but have a huge grin on my face !!!
I am very impressed!

makes me feel slightly bored with my A3 Turbo.......although A3 feels quicker low down in the gears from having the turbo - the S2000 is only about 200brake at the wheels - same as my car

perhaps i need to get an exhaust to sound good also

s2000's are nice cars, good fun.

They were the only car i was considering at the same time i bought my s3. Only thing in my opinion that lets them down is that they're a bit bland.

I sat in one once, and struggled to get out. Very cramped inside. I'm 6'2"

Also think they are looking a bit dated now, especially compared to the RX8 which looks quite similar.

well another mate of mine has an RX-8 and id have to say the S2000 is a better drive with the compromise of losing 2 seats - a large compromise for many

gek - you been in an elise ?? im 6'1 and needed to crawl in/out !! haha

I have sat in one when they first came out. It was like getting in and out of a bath!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

my mate just got one too, even as a passenger feels great, the seats are like a tvr , poise is excellent on corners , 9000rpm in a car is beautiful too, lots of torque up high and low end driveability is impressive, really like that car

its a death machine, love the styling and the extreme power...but the LSD with no traction control is a killer in the wet.

[ QUOTE ]
its a death machine, love the styling and the extreme power...but the LSD with no traction control is a killer in the wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that bad!

Not as bad as it would be with no LSD!

The big thing in the S2000s favour is that it has no torque low down...this means you have to be really holding the revs high to get the back out...use less revs and it corners in the wet with no drama.
The later cars had re-jigged suspension to calm them down a bit...or numn them a bit - depending on the drivers view / capability.

The S2000 isn't for everyone...it's a car that demands respect and understanding...a proper drivers car then!
But a killer in the wet? Only in the hands of the ham-fisted, and heavy footed.

[ QUOTE ]

But a killer in the wet? Only in the hands of the ham-fisted, and heavy footed.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol..hey that sounds like me!..hence why i walked away..shame really as it looks lovely!..yes i need driving lessons i feel!

i had one, got rid of it within a year, nearly killed myself 3 times in the wet and i was only doing 30mph, definetly deserves respect.

cheers

migzy

My mate just bought one of these recently, replacing a Seat Ibiza Cupra hes had for 3 years. After a week of ownership, and having not driven a RWD car before, he decided to test the performance out in a straight line down a local road. Road was slightly damp from rain the night before, he screamed the engine to maximum revs in 1st with a massive grin on his face, then when he changed to second and released the clutch, the back end came round and he stuffed the front end into a metal barrier! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I know they are twitchy in the wet, but even in a straight line, these things are lethal in the wrong hands, so not for me...

Ive had mine for a year and a half, and use it everyday, all through winter, wet, etc, and havent had any issues really.
If you arent used to RWD then it can catch you out, but whenever the weather gets bad its a case of driving it very sensibly.

Fantastic car overall, lots of fun, but im changing mine for an A3 2.0TDi, as my journey to work has increased, and its all stuck in traffic!! becomes difficult to appreciate a 9000RPM redline when thats the case (and if anyone wants it, its under £15k now!!).

fantastic cars, does the induction kit make a good difference? my mate thinking of doing the same

The only thing an induction kit with a hose to draw outside air in seems to help, is with the "kangarooing" when the cars hot, and you're in stop/start traffic.
Other than that, the power gains are minimal, and although it makes the car very loud, it doesnt seem to improve performance to any worthwhile degree.

right, makes sense, his is becoming more of a weekend car and using the 9000rpm we were guessing it would like more air at those engine speeds, its not blown though so maybe not as air thirsty as turbo'd

S2k is a great car, but definetely needs respect. I've had a few scary moments in my mates S2k, not even going that fast either. I've seen him loose it a few times!

I think it looks great, the interior is decent quality (cool 'start' button!) and 9k RPM, it sounds like a fekin Ferrari when at full pelt!

The downside, like Ess says, is the lack of torque low down. It couldn't have more different characteristics than when compared to how low the torque is delivered in the S3. If you love revving the *** off your engine the S2k is the car for you, but if like me you prefer decent pull low-down you won't like it.

I've only had a chance to go head-to-head once with the S2k (in a straight line), on that occasion there was nothing in it up to about 80MPH - we were side by side when we had to slow down........

Respect it in the wet!

If you have not driven rear wheel drive before cars like the s2000 and others with over 200 brake are not the place to start