Warranty

Little_Si

Reaction score
Please forgive me if I sound totally stupid here, but bear with me on something I've been thinking about for a while.

Consider this:

1. I buy a car from a UK Audi dealer. I get the 2 year factory warranty plus another year supplied by the dealer giving me 3 years warranty.

2. I live in Germany and buy a car from an Audi dealer. I get the standard 2 year factory warranty plus another year supplied by the dealer giving me 3 years warranty.

3. I live in the UK, but buy a car from a German Audi dealer. I get the standard 2 year factory warranty which can be used anywhere in Europe, but do I also get the extra year of warranty supplied by the dealer, or do I lose this as soon as the car leaves Germany?

My question being that if I get outside the 2 year warranty (it was only 1 year when I got mine) and something catastrophic happens (gearbox or engine failure or similar expensive item), then would I be able to put the car on a trailer and take it back to the dealer in Germany who supplied the car or would I have to be ripped off by my UK dealer?

The point is that the legal requirement of a manufacturer is to provide a 2 year full manufacturer warranty (as of 11/2001). The third year is completely optional and is down to the disgression of the manufacturer.

Nearly all manufacturers provide the additional 1 year (in the UK), some e.g. Hyundai are branching out into 5 years.
The additional year is using a 3rd party such as Warranty Holdings or Warranty Direct and the cost is added onto the cost of the car.

You cannot transfer this warranty as it will be with a german company, as in the UK it is with a Brit company. I know what you are getting at, but its just not possible.

Some manufacturers such as Honda provide a full 3 year manufacturer warranty, but if you import, IIRC you still only get 2 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

If the car had a catastrophic failure between two and three years old and it could be shown that this was a manufacturing defect, then the car is clearly not suitable for the purpose. If the failure was due to chipping etc, I'd expect Audi to do their best to wriggle out of paying, otherwise I would be looking for close to 100% of the cost as goodwill or be preparing myself for my day in court!

Premature failure of consumer goods out of warranty (including vehicles) is discussed all over the web/newsgroups. Try a post on www.honestjohn.co.uk where dealers will give you their opinion too.

Thanks for the replies.

Luckily nothing catastrophic has failed on my car. Just one of those thoughts that comes into your head after a few pints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

However, I had 2 ignition coils fail when my car was less than one week out of warranty. Audi wouldn't do them as a goodwill gesture, so I ended up paying about £180 for something now accepted as being Audi's fault.

How would I go about claiming this back from Audi? My dealer is pretty useless and thinks I should contact Audi directly. I suspect that if I write them a letter it will go straight in the bin.