Was I right or wrong?

mramage

Reaction score
Just curious, thought I'd put this to the polls. On reflection I think i was wrong...

Coming to work (had the Corsa). Got overtaken by an 03 plate flat loading mini-lorry pickup size. Slightly bigger than a transit, but with a pickup style rear, you know the sort I'm sure. That was in a 30 zone. For some reason this got me wound up, maybe it was the swinging over the road, though he did complete it safely I must admit.

Anyway, further along, two lane roundabout approaches (now 60 limit road and he's doing about 45). I know from experience that a good start in the right lane and you can get back across in time. He's stopped in the left hand lane. I approach and spot a break in the trafffic just as I get there, so I nip into the right hand lane and through, past and back in without requiring the guy to slow down. Now ****** off (I wonder why?) he sits up my tail giving me gestures. At that point I think I did just make better use of the road and wasn't happy, but thinking on it was a probably a bit childish of me. Naughty boy, after reading RoadCraft recently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well I'm a pretty chilled driver, so if he wishes to get wound up about it let him, I don't see you did anything wrong, just made the best of the road/traffic.

We all have our childish moments, so forget about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dbm said:
With these sorts of things I find it depends on two factors -
how much room you leave in front of the car being overtaken (I find that at least 3 car lengths is necessary to avoid being flashed by the over taken person), and
how you drive afterwards (if you keep going faster than them they can't really complain).

So, if it was heavy traffic and you just leap-frogged the guy but didn't get anywhere I would expect them to be p!ssed (though I don't think it's a bad thing personally).

The golden rule - try not to do these kinds of manouvers when you may need to stop due to traffic in the near future. I've had some very close calls with angry motorists in the last few years. And never, ever get out of your car if they do give you abuse.

Happy motoring,
Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with your first point, I know it is nice to ensure that there is plenty of space when pulling in after an overtake, but this is not ususally possible. So many idiots drive too close to the car in front, I give them the benefit of the doubt, as I assumet they are waiting to overtake, but 9/10 times they don't.

I give them time, and then I overtake, if there isn't room to pull back in I make room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, how many times have we all gone past 10 cars at 1 or 2 at a time, and no-one else has overtaken? I try my hardest not to be dangerous and if it upsets someone, I wave in apology.

Totally agree with everything else you say though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
We all have our childish moments, so forget about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Shall think nothing more of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
I disagree with your first point, I know it is nice to ensure that there is plenty of space when pulling in after an overtake, but this is not ususally possible. So many idiots drive too close to the car in front, I give them the benefit of the doubt, as I assumet they are waiting to overtake, but 9/10 times they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its not easy or often even possible. What I was meaning was that unless you leave a huge gap, people will think you have cut them up even when you haven't. I think it comes down to the fact that traffic density means for most people these days overtaking anything is a risk, so when someone else overtakes them, even safely, they react like it was a risky manouver. Only by having the exagerated gap can you show them it was an easy manouver for you to perform safely.

Peace
Dan