400 bhp EVO VIII

Austineer

King of cabs ;)
Reaction score
Guys,

What you think of that 400bhp evo on top gear yest? A bit of a beast and was a good match against the lambo. Still dont like the looks and bet its both horrible/uncomfortable and yet thrilling to drive at the same time. Anyone got one? Or they not out yet?

Great car, bit of a beast, but still got caned by a Fiat Stilo 1.6!!!!

Could spend 47K on something better i reckon. Great round the track but i think it would be the sort of car that would cost alot to maintain and annoy you after a while! (especially facing Stilo drivers) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

i think the stilo drag was a bit misleading. Im sure old clarkson didnt start in the correct gear for the car... of course if u start at 30mph in 4th or 3rd gear in a turbo car it will take a long time to pick up! if he'd started in 1st or 2nd it would have been fine.

he was proving a point, that off-boost performance was crap... But then again, who would be doing 30mph in top gear in an EVO!!! You just wouldnt! Would love to have a go in it though... Looks like a real monster!

Rich

Guys,

So what you reckon on a well set up A4 1.8TQS against either the Evo or Lambo? When I say well set up I mean uprated ABR's, springs, shocks well set up geometry, with a bigger turbo like the IHI or a Garret GTRS with all the trimings i.e. inlet & exhaust manifold, injectors, FMIC, Highflow Cats stronger pistons & crank etc?

Surely £5000 - £8000 would get you somewhere near the set up like above, so how do you reckon it would get on?

yeah i suppose with some serious modding anything is possible....throw enough money at something and u can make it do what u want!

That really annoyed me when he done that againts the 1600. It was by no means a fair representation of the cars performance. Im sure any car be it A3/S3/Skyline would experience such issues taking off in top gear. That really did p1ss me off.

Great car though, i loved it when he put it in tri-pod mode and got the real wheel off the floor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

YOGi

Doing 30 in 5th in my car and then putting my foot down it takes about 3 seconds before it takes off.

Its because the evo has such a big turbo, i think he was trying to point out that it is not a good car for every day use becasue of the clutch and the turning circle. Which by the was was really crap.

yea it was a [censored] take that, ill tell you this my good mate has a FQ330 with a few mods up to 380BHP and a retrim to die for, and its both stupidly quick and nice to drive, comfortable, and quiet.

You can accelrate like a lunatic and its really quiet inside but mind you the 4" tailpipe from the outside and that huge turbo noise - scars the bejesus out of most people!

Handling is supurb, although i have been side ways in the car and with not much correction and a little throttle it all goes straight again!

the 400hp the evo produces is really just the touch of it's true potential.I know the guys who tuned it and if you forget the warrenty etc it can produce massive power.

Talking to a mate,the turbo is rated at 500hp and the torque has been seriously de-tuned for the warranty.They should have gone with a gt2871r to relise 400hp without so much lag.

Saw one of those Mustangs this morning on the way into work.
A silver one with trade places in the window.

And get this it was driving out of the Dump!!!!!!!

Had a look at importing one over, the only catch is the duty andother charges you have to pay on the little darling....between £8-9k!

Admittedly the handling is poor, read an american write up on it and they weren't too complimentry, however with the GTR version they have, hopefully this will transfer to the car in the near future.

Back on the Evo, get the FQ 340 I doubt you'll notice the extra horses and you'll save 10k!

Like i said before jester ,they should really call it the evo 500,because if your willing to forfeit the warranty that is what the car is really built for.Trust me you would know the difference then!!

Its not just the lag that caused it to loose but the gearing, surely you cant go 100 or over in that stilo in 4th or 3rd??

..I really like the sound of 400bhp but out of a 2L?? Maybe if you could afford to rebuild it quite often I doubt it will be very reliable power either?

well it's comes with a 3 year warrenty ,so it will be as reliable as any new car.

[ QUOTE ]
yeah only in America....the worlds gone mad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmmmmm
I could do with some extra cash!!!!!!!
Maybe a law suit against Ronald McDonald for making my midsection bulge unknowingly
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif