09 LED DRL on/off using 06-08 drl headlight dial answered

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Seems I answered my own query about whether the DRL dial that sits on the headlight switch, but seperately to the left, via a setting of 0 or 1 on bixenons from 06-08 cars, would indeed control the led drl's found on 09 cars onwards, well it seems I was right, it does control them when wired in, so if need be they can be switched on/off with a flick of the dial without messing with the DIS menus or vcds.

Now this is tested on a car that uses the 8P0907279 CE board which is coded as Bixenon with LED DRL's, havnt tested on a new 8P with the newer 8P0907063 boards, YET, but I will when I get a chance.

I havnt seen this control available on any facelift, maybe someone can enlighten if they have the seperate dial fitted (not the drl position on mean switch) on there led drl enabled bixenons from 09 onwards, but to date by all reports none existed, until now & very soon :)

Nige
am i being stupid in saying the DRL leds on my car switch off on the rotory light switch...or do you mean lights on DRLs off ?

Possibly mate, I'm not referring to the main headlight switch, I'm referring to the smaller roller switch that also sits next to the illumination roller, it was fitted to prefacelift cars to control the halogen drl's on bixenons 06-08.

I think you're referring to DRL position on the main switch huh.

Basically this roller marked drl mate:

Euroswitch 8J1941531G5PR

Yes thats blanked off on mine .....I'l get my coat :)

Nah man its all good, it is confusing & why audi didnt include that switch is beyond me, going through dis to disable is a pita tbh, now possibly you dont have to, just have to figure out where to connect on the newer CE boards as I bet its still possible.

Think you'll need an umbrella more lmfao

Gottcha so you want Auto on with out DRLs. I dont have a DRL position at all.

I just want an easier option to turn drl's on/off on led drl's, tbh I just had a query to myself whether it would work or not, an expensive query at that lmfao.

Cant have too many switches a twiddley bits mate. especially if the light up as well :)

LMFAO, you wait, when I get my hands on Issy's new buggy, drl's the lot mate lmfao.

I've got a facelift one that I cant get to work yet. Its 8P2 941 531 AT

looks like this but with front fogs too (RHD of course LOL)

When I plug it in the xenons stay on & the fogs dont work. The wiring is different for 2010, one of the wires goes to a pin on the newer style CE module that I thought I'd sussed using the 2008 wiring but no luck yet.

!B3Ei!1gEWk~$(KGrHqR,!g4E)70soghuBMk3v+nrq!~~_12.JPG

Have you stripped the light down to the pcb & tracked the circuits to see what does what?

I've had a look, the tracks disappear into components making it hard to know. Will try with a multimeter.

Seems I answered my own query about whether the DRL dial that sits on the headlight switch, but seperately to the left, via a setting of 0 or 1 on bixenons from 06-08 cars, would indeed control the led drl's found on 09 cars onwards, well it seems I was right, it does control them when wired in, so if need be they can be switched on/off with a flick of the dial without messing with the DIS menus or vcds.

Now this is tested on a car that uses the 8P0907279 CE board which is coded as Bixenon with LED DRL's, havnt tested on a new 8P with the newer 8P0907063 boards, YET, but I will when I get a chance.

I havnt seen this control available on any facelift, maybe someone can enlighten if they have the seperate dial fitted (not the drl position on mean switch) on there led drl enabled bixenons from 09 onwards, but to date by all reports none existed, until now & very soon :)

This is Great news...:)...As RS convinced me to buy one of these Switches Which never worked for me and him. So I take it just needs to be wired in correctly into the CE get this too work if I'm correct :think: ? Correct me please if I'm wrong.

Yes wired & headlights coded correctly.

I have just done my facelift yesterday and coded my new drl led headlights in and they do infact turn the led drls on and off with the little drl switch to the left as I have the same switch

I have just done my facelift yesterday and coded my new drl led headlights in and they do infact turn the led drls on and off with the little drl switch to the left as I have the same switch

How did you code them to work with the switch ?

I just coded the lights on byte 21 to 06 for bi-xenon with led drls and it just works them
Have done nothing else lol so maybe just does it by luck lol

hi nigel, i just fitted in the new switch i got from Dave @Stoke and i have wired pin 4 on 7 pin headlight connector (DRL switch) to pin 10 on plug E on the CE but it isnt turning the DRL off...

8J2 941 531 E
6e60673a.jpg

Is there anything else i need to do to get the switch working? does the switch need to have a wire in pin 5 for ground still or can i take that out as that was originally used in my light switch to control the manual level motor?

Hello, is the reason Audi never fitted this on/off option on the face lifted A3's because the DRL's will be required to be fitted and permanently on when driving in the day on all vehicles by law soon? I thought that was the reason they have been used now and (most) vehicles having them as an option until it becomes the law. Obviously Audi-BMW etc like to get things sorted before any other company to make a few ££ first.

My latest gen S3 has the on / off option on the switch - I think its just the ones with Auto lights that don't have it immediately accessible.

ok so i double checked ELSA and it shows that there should be a ground wire in Pin 5 of the 7pin black connector behind the light switch... so i checked the light switch and the pin was not in properly on pin 5... i pushed it back in and now the DRL Roller is working :)