Poverty mod - Painting interior door trim.

Christer

Engage the beige!
Reaction score
I have Vavona wood, and I hate it, so i really wanted to change them. I wanted brushed aluminium, but it was very expensive to buy from the dealers.

I've searched ebay, but nobody wanted to ship them to Norway.

So i painted them. First, I wanted to do them in pianoblack, but I went for something different. I'm usually against interior trim in the same colour as the car, but I did them in matte, and think it looks okay.

What do you guys think? :)

Before:
IMG_6619.jpg

After:
IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

I didn't bother painting the ashtray, because it's really difficult to mask it, and I'm going for an ashtray delete next week!
IMG_0196.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Bit like mine, did all mine in anth, look the dogs nads, I actually went & sold my alums as to much contrast, then bought a cheap wooden set.

Are the vavona 'wood' trims actually painted in the first place?

Or is there actually some sort of wood content in there lol...They just feel like plastic to me!

Nah its some form of wrap IMHO covered with a clear plastic finish.

Thanks for the kind words!

Somebody told me that Vavona wood was aluminium covered in plastic, and that you could get alu by sanding it down, but it's actually crappy wood, painted, and covered in clear plastic, as NHN is saying.

Looks good, do you rub them down before painting?

Im a novice when it comes to spraying anything, so I vinyl wrapped mine in gloss black, however thinking of changing to matte black soon :)

Yeah, gave them a quick rubdown with 400 grit, just to make the paint stick!:)

Ah cool thanks :D That might be where I have gone wrong in the past, probably used stuff thats too harsh! Looks good, think I might try wrapping mine in brushed aluminium, but will try spraying them if that doesn't look good :)

are they hard to take out? i want to wrap all of mine... door cards and ashtray.. just too scred to take em out and even more scared at how bad ill wrap them

Piece of cake, slowly wedge an edge of & the rest will follow, use something soft to lever so no damage.

Last edited:
Piece of cake, slowly wedge an edge of & the rest will follow, use something software to lever so no damage.

might have to give it a go... not sure how to carbon wrap though :S

Software to Nige these days means nappies mate !

-great... ANOTHER use for Vag-COM!

-Do I need a license?

:icon_thumright:

pmsl, yeah sorry was in midst of solving an Outlook 2010 Junk filter issue, oops slip of the mind there, edited now.

Software to Nige these days means nappies mate !

Mate, 4 weeks & that'll be true, I'm shitting myself pmsl let alone the baby.

haa haaa you big softie! Its easy! Its the sleepless nights that will take its toll, the rest is fun!!....well....... haa haa, i'll give you advice!

I already have sleepness nights, so I'm well & truly fecked lol, just hope she doesnt suffer with stomach problems like I did & do, I cried for a year when I was born, have a feeling I'll be crying for another year soon lmfao

Ive met so many people from Kent who cried for a year when Nige was born !!

You will soon get to know all about 'infacol and gripe water' lol and a big soft pillow to carry with you for when you crash where you fall! pmsl!

Ive met so many people from Kent who cried for a year when Nige was born !!

lmfao, give you that 1 lol, got me chuckling, but how the feck did you know I was born in Kent.

You will soon get to know all about 'infacol and gripe water' lol and a big soft pillow to carry with you for when you crash where you fall! pmsl!

Thanks for the advice, now where's that time machine Mr Wells

'Poverty Mod' - I love the description :applaus: Look good from what I can see. Good job!

If you flat the wood trims can you sand through the wood effect and back to plastic? Or is it too tough?

i had the horrid wood trim as well in mine, so i painted my i gloss black, i used believe it or not hammeright black smooth, this gave a very high gloss smooth finish, and if you get the sunlight on it you can see the wood grain (looks like real piano wood i think lol

better than rover 214 wood!!!

Again, anyone know if you can flat the wood effect off? Thats probably the best thing to do if your going to paint them...

Did the ashtray delete mod yesterday.

Some pics:
IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

Took the LED from the ashtray and put it in a hole i drilled...:
IMG_6872.jpg

The interior now.
IMG_6866.jpg

Now, I only need a new steering wheel, leather and RNS-E.
I've ordered a new shifter from eBay, OEM of course.

Took the LED from the ashtray and put it in a hole i drilled...:
IMG_6872.jpg

You can buy an led strip from audi that fits 100% as oem above the storage area you've now installed, which lights up that area of course at night as per the rest of the ambient light pack when headlights are activated.

You can buy an led strip from audi that fits 100% as oem above the storage area you've now installed, which lights up that area of course at night as per the rest of the ambient light pack when headlights are activated.

Thanks for the tip! Do you have the part nr for it? :)

A nicer gear knob would be good too :)
Ze germans sent it today actually! :)

I quite fancy doing the ash tray delete, is it just one part and a a simple swap out? Got the part number?

Oh i haven't seen this gear knob before. Is this the normal gear knob or the my11 one?

Item description on eBay says it is a 2010+ Sline gear knob!

So yeah, I guess it is the MY11 one. it was a straight fit!

Last edited:

Please NHN, could you let me know the part number for this LED strip? Although my car is fitted with the abient lighting pack, there is no LED illuminating the ashtray area. Would like to fit it in. Anyone know if it is easy to fit? Thanks.

Reactions: atownsend91