8P1, 8P2 or 8P3?

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
EDIT:

There are now 3 different versions of the A3 8P. Talking about them on this forum can be confusing as the terms facelift or pre-facelift can each refer to 2 different models!

I started this thread to find out if Audi gave the 3 versions unique identifying names that we could start to use. If not then we could create our own in house name.

As you'll see below, Aytheee suggested the names 8P1, 8P2 and 8P3 and pretty much everyone was in agreement.

I would like to reiterate that this naming system is only in use within this forum on ASN. Anyone on other websites or anyone at Audi will not have a clue what you're on about!

Can't work out which one is which? Below are the 3 models of the 8P (using the grill as the identifying feature) in their various guises:

Audi A3 8P1
2003-2005

mediaid959193707.jpg

Audi A3 8P2
2005- June 2008

Standard:
mediaid963812859.jpg

S-Line:
mediaid960555404.jpg

S3:
mediaid948783079.jpg

Audi A3 8P3
June 2008-Present

Standard:
mediaid952481760.jpg

S-Line:
mediaid956428374.jpg

S3:
mediaid960555017.jpg

Thanks for the input guys :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Reactions: 54V4G3, D3HK4Y, Westy and 2 others
Wasn't there a time when the S-line 05-08 came with the rub strips, like the rest of the range?

Wasn't there a time when the S-line 05-08 came with the rub strips, like the rest of the range?

I'm not really too bothered about the various little differences between the models. All I want is for us to decide what we're going to name the 3 distinct models within 8P. That way when someone says they have bought an A3 8PB/Mk2 (or whatever we decide) we all know exactly which one they mean.

For years like 2004, 2006-07 & 2009 it's not a problem but all the others years it can be confusing.

I think 8P1, 8P2, 8P3 is best as calling them mk1, 2, and 3 would confuse it with the 8L. A lot of non car buffs i know call the 8L a mk1 and the 8p(all incarnations) the mk2:rolleyes:

I agree yeah that sounds like a good idea. We'll give others time for some other ideas, a poll if necessary and then I'll edit the first post and do the linky thingy!

8p penguin, 8p lemur, 8p naked mole rat imo

Reactions: WEiRd Apple
A3 Good, A3 better, A3 best

:gun2:

No, on a serious note I agree with 8P1, 8P2 and 8P3 as suggested by aythreee.

OK I don't think I'll even do a poll then. Unless anyone complains by tomorrow lunch it'll be set in stone....FOREVER!

I know this s**t is like rocket science, but why didn't Audi do this in the first place?

:detective2:

Last edited by a moderator:
A3 Good, A3 better, A3 best

:gun2:

No, on a serious note I agree with 8P1, 8P2 and 8P3 as suggested by aythreee.

What about 8PFEM for the cabriolets?..............................:p

She's standing in front of something? :ermm:
oh wait, now i see it.

Getting back to the original question!!

8P1,8P2,8P3 sounds to be the best idea.

Has any else, like me, owned at least one of all 3 versions?

I've only owned 2 8P2s, the best looking of the bunch! :eyebrows:

Ok it's done!!

It'd be useful if you all add your version to your sig as Aytheee has done to spread the word and make it widely known. You could even link to this thread as I have done!!

Take it easy you dirty buggers!
Thats my Mam that is!

Erm...yeah, I like the new AS, A3 numbering convention.
For the avoidance of doubt etc...

Personally, I don't see the problem with just stating the year of the car. Oh well, if it makes it easier for the more numerically challenged, so be it. ;)

The only problem is that when you state the year do you mean the year of registration or the model year. A 2008 car could have been registered in January 2008 and be an 8P2 or registered in November 2008 in which case it would be a 8P3. Both would be 2008.

At least the 8P1, 8P2 and 8P3 method stops this confusion.

I meant the model year, as most people will know that. If they don't, it's just as easy to tell them how to find out, as it is to explain the cut off for 8P1/2/3. And if they're looking in the chassis number for it, there's no confusion at all. If they're new to Audis or A3s and have no idea about the changes from one year to another, they'd probably find it easier to find the model year and then see where that fits rather than trying to work it out from photos of cars that all look the same to a lot of people. I know we can see the differences and they seem obvious to us, but a lot of people genuinely can't when they're new to the model.

too skinny!

I also disagree a lot more skinner girls were more a less nothing! Makes me belly turn when you can see all there rips:puke2: haha

I've owned two 8P1 & 8P2

Last edited:
I meant the model year, as most people will know that. If they don't, it's just as easy to tell them how to find out, as it is to explain the cut off for 8P1/2/3. And if they're looking in the chassis number for it, there's no confusion at all. If they're new to Audis or A3s and have no idea about the changes from one year to another, they'd probably find it easier to find the model year and then see where that fits rather than trying to work it out from photos of cars that all look the same to a lot of people. I know we can see the differences and they seem obvious to us, but a lot of people genuinely can't when they're new to the model.

The idea of the numbering system is the help everyone, not just new users. Up to now people have referred to a model as facelift, pre-facelift, single grill, double grill, open mouth, the year etc etc. It's not that it's a complicated thing that we can't work out, it's just I thought it would be better if we had a simple system so we don't have to even think about it.

As has been pointed out, using the year is not a foolproof system.

What I hope to achieve in the forum is where new members have a scan through the FAQs thread to either learn something straight away or know that there's lots there to learn from. What's needed in turn from all the senior members is when someone asks a question where the answer is in the FAQs they are directed to the FAQs thread to get the best possible answer that's already been given on this forum over the years.

In terms of the 8P1/2/3 if you are brand new to Audis or A3s you probably don't know that there have been 3 versions, but just having a 2 minute look through my post you'll learn a huge amount and even if you can't instantly distinguish the 3 models you'll at least have a thread you can refer to for help. Again, new users using descriptions like "it isn't the one with the double grill but it's not as new as the facelft" should be referred to this thread.

One thing I should add though is the dates each model was built from and too. I have just learned that I there are no specific dates for the change over to the single frame grill as it was done a different times for the sportback and 3dr. I'll just use 2005.

Can anyone remember what month last year did the first 8P3s roll off the production line?

Last edited:
...Again, new users using descriptions like "it isn't the one with the double grill but it's not as new as the facelft" should be referred to this thread...

Why? Sorry, that's a genuine question and I'm not trying to wind anyone up, but that description is perfect and everyone will know exactly what they're talking about. If you get someone who actually knows the cars, just randomly browsing the site they wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about if you said you had an 8P2. They'd actually have to look up this thread to find out that you'd come up with a numbering system for the models and then it would make sense to them. Anything starting 8P0/1/2/3/4 instantly makes me think part numbers.

It all just seems a bit pointless to me.