2007 S3(8P): Symphony II+ to RNS-E conversion

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Car: Audi S3 (8P) - MY 2007 - 07
ICE spec: Symphony II+ (MP3), Audi factory fit Bluetooth, Audi factory fit iPod dock in glove box, Audi factory fit Bose upgrade, Audi S3 FBMFSW

Ease of job: (1* = easy, 5* = v.hard): ***

Time required: 45 mins max (exc. VAGCOM play time)

Tools required
:
4 stereo removal keys for double DIN (Horizontal)
8mm deep socket, extension bar and ratchet
Pair of pin nosed tweezers (or iPhone SIM removal tool / paper clip)
Masking tape
Anti slip mat or a towel
VAGCOM (although it will work without it - just not set up right)

Missing any of the cables/connectors?:
Check here: GPS antenna , Quadlock, Antenna (Fakra)

How it all came about

After nearly 2 years of lamenting not buying the Audi approved RNS-E head unit (went Symphony 6 disc MP3 unit instead), my portable in car SatNav finally sent me down a wrong road too far. After trying to send me to Canvey Island the other week (instead of Southend), this timewasting along with the overbearing boredom of sticking some cheap plastic into the car and having trailing wires everywhere pushed me into action.

Flavour of the moment, and subject of almost every other thread on Audi forums seems to be the old RNS-E retrofit, so I though that now was as good a time to do it with the RNS-E on offer at around £500 (instead of the original £2000+), particularly as the TOMTOM was knocking on the door of £300. And after losing about 8 e-bay auctions by about a tenner each time I finally won a 'Best offer' bid for a 2007 RNS-E unit which 'pretended' to be living in Fleet Street London, however was sent from Hamburg Germany :confused:.

After reading many informative threads on here I went out and sourced some head unit keys from fleabay, ordered a deal pack of 4 SD memory cards (non HD ones) and an SD USB card reader from 'mymemory.co.uk' in Jersey.

Fitting description

Now I hasten to add, ahead of this job, I am not a mechanic. I'm also not an (auto)electrician. In fact when it comes to cars whilst I have many opinions based on 15 odd years of VAG motoring, I am absolutely NO expert at anything (even my wife will back that up :blahblah1:). So whilst I know one end of a screwdriver from the other, there was a slightly unsettling shake in my hands at the prospect of peeling my pride and joy apart and undertaking surgery which could set off warning lights / stop things working.

Before I began the job I printed off all the necessary research, put a box aside for all the bolts I'd remove (a grand total of 2 in total!!!), and then decided about what I should do about one of the two hardest parts of job (mounting the GPS antenna). Eventually I elected to peel the clocks out as I couldn't be doing with the airbag light. That decision over the job commenced.

Now before I go into the ins and outs, I want to apologise for the frankly shocking photos I've attached. They are camera phone photos taken with one hand in poor lighting conditions.

So firstly the easy bit, 4 keys into the Symphony to get the old unit to slide out. Nothing complex about that. There is plenty of cabling to allow you to clear the dashboard, then it is purely a case of:

1) Flicking the latch at the bottom of the QUADLOCK multiconnector at the base of the passenger side of the Symphony, and raising the hinged swingarm to remove the QUADLOCK connector (it all comes away in one piece)

2) Disconnecting the aerial block (white connector) from the base of the drivers side of the unit (again click latched from the bottom)

web.jpg
IMG_0039.JPG

web.jpg

IMG_0040.JPG

The easy bit was now completed.

At this point MANY people recommend using masking tape to cover the dash panel around the stereo to protect it from knocks and scratches. Unfortunately all I had was electrical insulation tape which (due to the cleaning products I have chosen to use), decided I needed sticking to more than the dash. At this point I got a roll of anti slip mat (the sort of stuff you use in a toolbox drawer), and rolled this up and around to the dash aperture (as its naturally sticky), although a towel may do.

At this point I did a side by side comparison to see whether what I had purchased look much more 'trick' than the original head unit. What I find amazing when comparing side by side is that they manage to fit all that capability into the RNS-E.

IMG_0041.JPG

web.jpg

Getting the keys out of the head unit is quite an art. I ended up using some tweezers (to press down the head unit catches from the top and bottom of the unit), and then pressing the sides of the catches inward with my fingers. There must be an easier way than this, but I'll be damned if I could find it.

So back out to the car, I now decided to undertake removing the clocks :think:.

web.jpg
IMG_0042.JPG

I pulled the steering wheel outwards and downwards to its maximum position (towards you, not inwards), then got a grasp of the section in front of the clocks (a trim panel that contacts the fake leather trim). There were no bolts on this, and all you have to do to take it off is GENTLY pull it towards you in a horizontal movement. The leather trim is a bit awkward, and again it's one of those jobs that requires a bit of Jedi skill to put it back in later, but no bolts pleased me.

PLEASE NOTE this trim segment did not release completely, so I had to rest it on the steering column to allow the clocks to come past when I removed them.

web.jpg
IMG_0043.JPG

This exposed two 8mm bolts holding in the clocks (positioned centrally under each clock face). I took a deep socket head, an extension bar, and a small ratchet and undid both bolts.

PLEASE NOTE keep your fingers on the bolts as you undo them. The threads aren't that long, and if you drop them into the dash, it will require you taking much longer removeing the underside of the dash (assuming they don't vanish into the special black hole where missing screws go when you drop them!).

The clocks pull towards you (again BE GENTLE!), and you will need to move them past the trim panel you removed. You could disconnect the clocks, but I chose not to (for fear of repurcussion later on). After setting the buzzer off on the clocks (as I knocked the indicator stalk downwards into parking light mode :applaus:), my panic was over and I gently rested the clocks against the side of the steering column against the indicator stalk (again on anti slip mat pile). The clocks are as light (in weight) as you could imagine, so are very unlikely to damage anything being left here.

web.jpg
IMG_0045.JPG

So next I got the Kufatec GPS antenna and went looking for the shelf I had seen in so many photos. Nada - nothing.

There was very little in the way of any space at all, so at this point I coiled up and cable tied the excess cable (ensuring there was enough at EITHER END for the head unit (when pulled out of the dash), and then eough for me to re-position if required. I removed the Kufatec sticker as it was almost off anyway, and used two pieces of HEAVY DUTY velcro to mount the GPS module to the top of the dash CENTRALLY ABOVE where the clock unit goes (you can just make out in the photo above the sliver sticker on the Kufatec unit).

I then had to get the cable from the GPS unit to the head unit opening. I did this by putting my hand into the head unit opening, and pushing my hand in the general direction of the speedo clocks. When I eventually saw my fingers in one of the openings (looking through from the clocks aperture), I passed the cable through and routed it out from the head unit opening ALLOWING AS MUCH EXCESS CABLING GIVEN BY AUDI FOR THE QUADLOCK AND THE AERIAL CABLE.

Then to make sure I was getting some 'satellite action' I connected the RNS-E (out of dash), punched in the code (which worked), and then had to brush up on my German to get the unit into English speaking compatibility (thankfully the top option in the main settings menu!). In a very enclosed road, with the car backed half way into the garage I got 2-3 on the GPS bar which was encouraging, so assumed the positioning was a success (although it is not hard to change if it isn't - 10 minute job).

So I disconnected the RNS-E again, stuck down with tape any areas where the excess GPS antenna cable could rattle on dash internals, then rebuild the clock cluster.

Fortunately the GPS antenna DID NOT foul the clocks, and when pushed snugly back into place (trust me they are VERY snug), I reseated the 2 8mm bolts, polished the plastic clock screen from skanky finger marks, then reinserted the trim panel to complete the dash (no mean feat!!).

To reinsert the dash panel section there are effetively 3 pieces of leather trim to set back in. One on the right hand side, one on the left hand side, and the easiest one at the back (no fiddling needed on this one). The right and left one need to be tucked into the dash sides as far as you can press them in to the side slots, then as you move the trim panel back (again horizontally towards the plastic locator pins), keep retucking the side leathers in until they vanish. There should be no overhang 'roushed' leather exposed at the sides if you have done it properly. If you are struggling with this put your spare hand into the dip where the leather sits, and try and pull it through as you insert with the other hand - it is hard to explain, but you'll get my drift if you try it.

So with the clocks back in and the steering wheel reset, I now had the other hard bit to do. Rewiring for BOSE.

Thanks to JohnS3 I had a picture of how the pin configuration in the main quad block connector (in the blue mini connector) had to be reconfigured for Bose sound.

Here is the diagram John supplied to help me:

Quadlock.jpg

At this point I wanted to despair as this isn't what I enjoy doing. However it really isn't hard if you have the right tools.

Firstly you have to remove the blue mini connector unit from the main quadlock unit by releasing the catch that seats it in there. Once this is done, you will then need to release the blue outer casing from the connector body to perform the wiring surgery (moving the BROWN Bose cable from port number 6, to number 7).

The picture below shows what you are left with once you remove the blue cover from the connector block (again using a catch to release). It can only go back in ONE way, so you can't get it wrong).

web.jpg
IMG_0046.JPG

The brown cable will be located (IF YOU HAVE BOSE) on the bottom row, second in from the left hand side (looking from the wiring side).

web.jpg
IMG_0047.JPG

Tip the connector upside down and use a sharp pair of tweezers, an iPhone SIM remover tool or a paperclip to release the metal clip of the BROWN cable, and move if fron PORT #6, into PORT #7 (see the cable is dangling free in the picture above - sorry very bad picture!). You will hear a click when it is seated correctly, but I would give the cable a light pull to ensure it wont come out.

Now replace the connector block into it's BLUE casing, and reposition it back into the main cluster within the QUADLOCK unit.

Now the hardest part of the job is over.

At this point I took the personal decision to clean out the aperture, and add some further cushioning to the dashboard to reduce any unwanted noise. I did note that where the head unit seats against the main dash fascia AUDI have put a piece of cloth material against the bottom left hand seating lug. As my Symphony always creaked and rattled in the dash, I used some sticky backed felt (stuff I had purchased to protect wooden floors from furniture legs), which I cut to shape and put on the other lugs.

I then repositioned the anti-slip mat, offered it up to the dash aperture and connected:

1) The main quadlock (make sure the hinge mechanism is at 90 degrees to the quadlock pre-insertion as otherwise you will end up wondering why it wont go in!!). Once pressed in, move the hinge downwards until you hear the click. Give it a gentle tug to make sure it wont come off.

2) The white / creme aerial cable. Thankfully there was no modifications required here as the 07 S3 uses the same cable connector configuration as the RNS-E unit.

3) The blue GPS connector (this is the cable you routed through the dashboard from the clocks). It attaches above the QUADLOCK, and again clicks into place.

Once all the cables have been checked again, push any excess back into the dashboard fascia, then gently offer the RNS-E to the dash, and push firmly into place. I didn't find any need to reposition or move any cables, so there is enough space if you cable intelligently.

So, the moment of truth, would it all work again?!

I turned the ignition key and up came the MMI screen as I was hoping. Despite having disconnected it between installation processes I did not have to re-enter the code.

web.jpg
IMG_0048.JPG

I had a quick bash about and all seemed well. I programmed the stations on the radio, checked the iPod connector, set up the sound settings and checked the nav capability. All worked fine.

Whilst there are people who will find the thought of this job pretty unpleasant, I can only say this is 45 minutes work doing what I did above (max).

VAGCOM codes (link)

All that is left to be done is the VAGCOM coding for:

1) S3 entry screen (Module 56 - Channel 18 - Option 1)

2) Setting the tyre size: 225/40/18 summer tyre (Module 56 - Channel 10 - 1943)

3) Setting up the bose sound system characteristics (Module 56 - Function 7 - Sound characteristics - Option 5)

4) GALA Bose (microphone) (Module 56 - Channel 8 - Option 255)

5) Voice commands for sat nav for Right Hand Drive car (Module 56 - Channel 126, Option 00013 [US & Europe 0500+] OR Option 02632 [Europe <0500]) - As my unit came from Germany (LHD cars), I have to do this one, if yours in UK sourced you wont have to.

PLEASE NOTE, depending on your options (eg. iPod / Bluetooth / Bose / where in the world you sourced your NAV unit, you may require different coding to that mentioned above - see provided link in the VAGCOM title for more options).

Questions that remain unanswered

I have only 2 questions to resolve once I have sorted the VAGCOM stuff at Storm Developments this weekend.

1) How do I get the RNS-E to upload my phone book (like the unit in the Q7 did when I borrowed that)?

2) Can I store favourites and home location in the sat nav?

3) I have dragged some music from my MacBook Pro HDD into the SD cars (by album folder), but how exactly do I set up a .m3u playlist? Do I create a new folder called ?????.m3u and just drag tracks into it?

Thanks
Once again, many thanks for all the help I have received on this forum from the members who have given their time to reply to threads / or have written their own install experiences, (esp. JohnS3 who has been a great help as always)

And finally (the small print)
As always, I have to say if you follow the instructions I've described above, you do so at entirely your own risk. I cannot be held accountable for any issues, failures, damage or incidents you may encounter by doing this yourself. Best of luck. If I can do it, anyone can!!

Reactions: ch1z64, RedarT, Sandra and 3 others
Press the phone button on the rnse to see the contacts synced from your phone.
The rnse does have a seperate memory for names and numbers. Press name to access those features. These have to be added manually and can be used for voice tags if you do the sds hack.
I don't bother with playlists, I just make folders on the sd card and fill them with mp3s. Watch out for .dsstore files from the mac on the sd cards, the rnse will see them which can be confusing. I use blueharvest to keep USB sticks and sd cards clean.

Glad you're enjoying your new toy!

The only thing that is unusual post install is that the DIS keeps defaulting to compass mode, but based on my perceived sense of directions the compass directions actually seem way off the mark. Can I change this setting in VAGCOM to show the usual displays?

You can turn the compass off in one of the RNSe menus.

Excellent and informative post.

do I need to spec the audi GSM phone kt for the RNSE to operate my phone once installed or can I save another £375 off the options list ?

Hamburg? Interesting, the Polizei here were recently reported to have caught the Latvian/Lithuanian gang that was doing these units.....

Did you get the original code card with it?

I got a code card so the unit is up and running. The e-bay seller is listed as UK based, on Fleet Street so I was very surprised when the unit turned up from Hamburg. The name of the person is not Lithuanian sounding, but was wondering why try to pretend to be UK based?????

One thing I have noted, is I am getting some continual error codes that I can't get rid of. Will post these later, but the system seems to think there is a conflict between radio and nav system - I'm sure it is my coding that is the issue, not an issue with the head unit.

You'll always have the HF/ZF issues until you modify the antenna system...

(Also you need the CAN-Gateway recoding - I couldnt see that mentioned in the write up)

You'll always have the HF/ZF issues until you modify the antenna system...

(Also you need the CAN-Gateway recoding - I couldnt see that mentioned in the write up)

think you are right, these are the error codes:

Address 56: Radio Labels: 8E0-035-192-RNSE.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 035 192 Q HW: 8P0 035 192 Q
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H74 X---
Revision: 05S Serial number: AUZBZ7G0920491
Coding: 0209755
Shop #: WSC 88803 123 50935

2 Faults Found:
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 199
Mileage: xxxxx km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2009.03.20
Time: 15:38:11

Freeze Frame:
Count: 2003
Clock: 15:37

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 199
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2009.03.20
Time: 15:37:50

....and like some others I'm not sure now that I've had the sound system set to Bose in VAGCOM that I actually think it is any better. Sounds a bit tiz-boom. Get the feeling I'll be buying VAGCOM and tweaking it.

2) Can I store favourites and home location in the sat nav?

Yes you can, there is a memory option when in NAV (top left button out of the four corner ones). Allows you to save entries to the directory and mark as a favourite, which basically means when on the route planner when you scroll down, the favourites appear. The RNS-E also remembers the last places navigated to (not sure how many it goes up to, maybe a dozen) which is handy.

Congrats on the write up - I'm sure people getting their facelifts will find your guide handy - looks like a lot of effort went into that :beerchug:.

Your first error is caused by the antenna system in the car. This post tells you more about it and how to fix it.
The second one is a coding error. This may be due to the fact it's coded for bose and the Bose pin isn't earthed/connected. Talking of coding the last digit of your code is a 5 and should be a 7 as you have an iPod dock and a mfsw.

Wow John, that looks a worse job than the RNS-E retrofit itself :-(

If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have been such a tightwad first time round.

Head unit £550 + keys £10 + 2009 map disc + £200 for diversity antenna kit - by the time I have fitted it including my personal time it will nearly be RRP!!

Thanks for the heads up with the coding above - will get that done this week as it is due in the dealers for a brake service and some warranty work (God forbid) the week after.

Just what I was after!
Although the back of the Mk2 RNS-E Units seems to be different from the back of the Mk1 Unit installed here so I will need to get an adapter.

Last edited:
The rns-e mk1 & 2 units are identical on the rear.

sorry to drag up an old thread, but i retrofitted an RNSE today and it thinks im in spain, i think i have one satelite but not sure, ive tried a reset of the unit and that didnt change it, i havent driven the car yet so dont know if that will help, any help would be great

Drive the car it will pickup gps then.

Reactions: phil miller
Does this way work the same if I was too fit it to a 2006 model, with the old tape deck and cd changer stereo currently installed and currently running Bose.

Does the navi plus have a built in microphone or do you need to install one ?