How easy is it to retrofit auto lights&wipers?

boggysv

Reaction score
Have read that I'd need a new windscreen, but the diy guide for the Golf says I dont. How different is the auto light/wiper system between our cars?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2626178&page=1
The link on that site doesnt really work for me, alternative below.

http://www.dubdiy.net/mkvaudio/images/VWJettaRainLightSensorInstall.pdf

Does anyone have the part number required for the Audi? A guide would be champ as well, but I've googled long and hard to no avail :crying:

Used to think "meh..I can switch on the lights and wiper myself..no need to waste money on these techno wizardy", but after driving mom's tiguan with autoeverything, my S3 suddently feels "cheap" without these fancy gadgets.

The light and rain sensors are attached to the windscreen above the rearview mirror. They are fitted to a different windscreen than standard so if you want to do the job properly with OEM parts you'd need the other screen.

It is of course possible to do if you make you're own light and rain sensor circuit and fit it somewhere else but noone has done this yet as far as I know. Especially as it has to be able to connect and talk to the car's wiring.

I retro fitted the whole lot to mine a little while ago - auto dimming mirror, auto lights, auto wipers and coming home/leaving home lights. As Staz says, there's a fair amount of parts needed, the worst being the windscreen.

The problem is that you need the whole lot to get any of it working properly as it's all linked together. I started by just wanting the auto dimming mirror and it kind of progressed from there!

You'll need:

1. A new windscreen because the fixing bonded to it for auto dimming mirror also holds the rain and light sensor.
2. A new auto dimming rear view mirror.
3. The rain and light sensor that gets stuck to the windscreen with a gel pad.
4. A new headlight switch which has the auto lights and coming homes buttons. And,
5. A wiring loom (which you could make yourself or get one from Kufatec which I did).

I got round the new windscreen by paying the excess on my insurance and getting a new one installed which had the right fixing (it also had the sunband which I was quite happy about). The rest of the bits I bought new apart from the rear view mirror which I got from e-bay.

Once you've installed the windscreen it's not that hard to complete the install if you're happy pulling your car apart and confident with wiring. When it's finished though it gives you an auto dimming mirror, auto lights and windscreen wipers and coming home/leaving lights, so not a bad upgrade really.

If you want any more info or wiring help let me know.

Chris

1. A new windscreen because the fixing bonded to it for auto dimming mirror also holds the rain and light sensor.

3. The rain and light sensor that gets stuck to the windscreen with a gel pad.

Hi there my other half! Any guides/wiring diagram would be nice to have now.

I'm actually boggled, because some installations (on a b6 jetta though) shows that you can install the mirror (which includes the sensor) to a normal windscreen.

In this install, it mentions that the "ceramic" plate is not there, whatever that means? Else, is there anywhere else I can wire-up a light sensor by myself? (i.e. hide it near the dash or behind the mirror or something).

btw, I just got quoted 200gbp for the "suitable" windscreen:mad:

I think if you need a new one then the insurance route for the windscreen is the better. (I'm not suggesting fraud, simply suggesting if the screen requires replacing due to damage it seems a good option)

Loom - I'd buy this http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...g-Interior-Mirror---Harness---Audi-A3-8P.html

Kufatec don't seem to provide any installation instructions to you'll need someone to look that up for you.

Ha Ha! There’s Boggy’s everywhere.

If you’re going to go for it, before you start you’ll need to make sure you have the auto dimming rear view mirror before you get your new windscreen. Otherwise, when the windscreen is replaced, the old mirror will not fit. To fit the mirror you turn it clockwise. Once you’ve got your new windscreen and mirror fitted, it’s possible to wire up the auto dimming function and leave it there if you wish. To get this going, you just need a live and earth connection. (see wiring connections below) The thing is, if you’ve gone this far, it’s not much more to get the rest of the functions.

All of the rest of the functions need to be installed together as they are all linked up to the rain and light sensor. If you only install it in part, you’ll get fault codes as some circuits will remain open.

The auto dimming mirror has two light sensors in it. One at the front, one at the back. These only control the auto dimming for the mirror. They have nothing to do with the auto lights or wipers. The sensor on the windscreen side of the mirror tells the mirror when it is dark outside so to act if needed. The sensor on the inside (mirror side) dims the mirror when it picks up any bright light from behind (providing it’s dark outside).

Next you’ll need the rain and light sensor that goes in the mirror fixing on the windscreen. If you order one of these make sure you get the spring clip that holds it in as well. You’ll also need a new headlight switch with the auto lights and coming home button functions. I bought a TT one which is the same as the facelift A3, it’s got a bit of chrome on it and looks a bit more sparkly!

The rain and light sensor is a round thing about 40mm across and slots into the mirror fixing. There is a gel pad which goes between the windscreen and the sensor that’s needed for it to be able to work. It’s then held in place by the spring clip.

To fit the headlight switch involves taking the lower dash trim off (you’ll need to do this for the wiring anyway).

The auto wipers work from the rain and light and light sensor. There is nothing else needed apart from coding in Vag-com needed to get this going.

The wiring is quite involved and you’ll need to make sure you have all the correct plugs to fit the different bits and pieces. You’ll need a plug for the rear view mirror, a plug for the rain and light sensor and a plug for the coming home button on the headlight switch. You’ll also need lots of repair wires to make up the wiring for the plugs and to go into the on-board power supply.

I’d recommend the Kufatec wiring harness. It comes with most of the wiring, repair pins and plugs so it makes it quite straightforward. Unfortunately, my harness was not complete as it didn’t have the wiring for the coming home part. It’s only 4 wires so it’s not hard to do but you do have to make sure you’ve got the plug to go in the back on the button on the headlight switch.

The wiring from each part is:

Mirror –
Pin 1 > Fuse 4 in fusebox.
Pin 2 > Earth
Pin 3 > Pin 1 12-pin connector, black (B) onboard power supply (underdash, drivers side)

Rain and light sensor –
Pin 1 > Fuse 16 in fusebox
Pin 2 > Earth
Pin 3 > Pin 3 8-pin connector, black (F) onboard power supply

Light switch (1 additional wire is needed) -
Pin 2 10-pin connector, black (A) (back of light switch) > Pin 14 16-pin connector, Black (E) onboard power supply

Coming home button –
Pin 1 6-pin connector, black (C) (back of light switch) > Earth
Pin 2 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 4 12-pin connector, brown (C) onboard power supply
Pin 3 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 12 16-pin connector, black (E) onboard power supply
Pin 4 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 10 10-pin connector, black (K) onboard power supply

I’ve no photo’s of the install I’m afraid but if you collect all the bits before you start, you can place them all together to get a good idea of what’s needed.

You’ll also Vag-com to enable everything. I can’t remember exactly what at the moment but just let me know and I’ll find out.

I don’t have the part number to hand but I’ve probably got a list of some them if you need them.

Hope it makes sense. Obviously let me know when you need more info.

An Audi technician I had working on my car followed Marc Quinlivans coming home lights intructions........

he got all the wiring done but couldn't do the VAG com to activate them - he said it wouldn't work - so if anyone has an alternative set of procedures to follow for VAG com please post them-!

I see, thanks guys.

Seems like a new windscreen is unavoidable. I'll just wait till whenever I need to change it then. No point wasting a perfectly nice screen.

Thanks again.

Hi all....
My 2003 Audi A4 (B6) already has auto dimming mirror, auto lights and coming home/leaving lights....should it have auto rain sensing wipers as well,or was this another option at the time....
Wonder if I should VAGCOM my car to see if they are simply disabled....

The option for the A3 was "Light and Rain Sensor Pack – auto-dimming rear view mirror and auto low-beam mode for head lights and auto windscreen wipers "
I'm not sure what options were available on your car at the time of purchase. Perhaps a quick post in the B6 forum is in order where someone will most likely have an answer for you. Good luck!

sorry to dig up an old thread but i am doing this install next week and i just wanted to make sure i have all the bits before i go ahead with it.

now i have the auto dimming mirror with the extra plastics to hide the wiring
the rain/light sensor
a metal spring clip
a gel pad
kufatec wires
headlight switch

now i will be getting the windscreen on next week but i was going to wire up the car first this weekend and test with the mirror and sensor so that its a case of plug and play when i change the windscreen.

My main question is about the rain sensor... i have the clip and the gel pad but i cannot see how this is meant to fit onto the back of the mirror as its just 'loose'. Is there anything else i need to get or does this actually attach to the new windscreen and then the mirror just covers it?

thanks for all the help

Ok so i have got the Kufatec wires (turned up late) and wasnt able to try out the install over the weekend.
Now i have been looking at the wires and they seem a little odd even for Kufatec.
Now i know Nigel hates Kufatec but as i had no clue what wiring was really needed for this i am using their wires.

so the thing is that the kufa wires have german writing on it and doesnt really make sense. only one wire has block F pin 3 written on it but has no pin on the end... just open wires.
the other wires have: (translated by google)
zündungsplus (ignition plus) no pin on wire
Innenleuchte (Interior light) has a pin on the wire
Dadauerplus (life plus) no pin on wire
blau / rot rückfahrsignal (blue / red reversing signal) no pin on wire
Masse (i think this is earth) red terminal ring on wire

if i follow the above instructions then this doesnt really make much sense
Mirror �
Pin 1 > Fuse 4 in fusebox.
Pin 2 > Earth
Pin 3 > Pin 1 12-pin connector, black (B) onboard power supply (underdash, drivers side)

Rain and light sensor �
Pin 2 > Earth

Light switch (1 additional wire is needed) -
Pin 2 10-pin connector, black (A) (back of light switch) > Pin 14 16-pin connector, Black (E) onboard power supply

Coming home button �
Pin 1 6-pin connector, black (C) (back of light switch) > Earth
Pin 2 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 4 12-pin connector, brown (C) onboard power supply
Pin 3 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 12 16-pin connector, black (E) onboard power supply
Pin 4 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 10 10-pin connector, black (K) onboard power supply

Now i will be getting my laptop out and going through elsawin though i am not really good at that so will get confused.
Can anyone give me any advice on what those wires plug into and what pins i will need to get to complete this install.

thanks

Just looking at the cable and found out that the pin ended wire called 'Innenleuchte (Interior light)' is only long enough to physically fit into the interior dome light... not quiet sure how it fits but i guess thats another thing i need to look into. I am guessing that this is used to light up the mirror button and give it the ambient light control from the headlight switch.

Also just looking at Elsawin i have come across this:

When in anti-dazzle mode, the mirror will become lighter as soon as the interior light is switched on or reverse gear is engaged.

I am guessing this would explain the wires i have from kufatec:

Innenleuchte (Interior light) has a pin on the wire
blau / rot rückfahrsignal (blue / red reversing signal) no pin on wire

Can anyone shed any light on this?

So i have taken the loom apart and checked how the loom is put together and what wire is what...

According to ELSAWIN the pins should be:

Mirror
Pin 1 > Fuse 7 in fusebox.
Pin 2 > Earth
Pin 4 > Pin 1 20-pin connector, black (A) Driver door control unit and passenger door control unit
Pin 5 > Pin 10 20-pin connector, black (A) Driver door control unit and passenger door control unit
Pin 6 > Not listed (this is the wire from Kufatec with Innenleuchte (Interior light) that has a pin on the wire)

Rain and light sensor
Pin 2 > Earth

Kufatec loom is wired up as:

Mirror
Pin 1 > zündungsplus (ignition plus)
Pin 2 > Masse
Pin 3 > blau / rot rückfahrsignal (blue / red reversing signal)
Pin 4 > Empty
Pin 5 > Empty
Pin 6 > Innenleuchte (Interior light) that has a pin on the wire)

Rain and light sensor
Pin 1 > Dadauerplus (life plus)
Pin 2 > Masse

Might need to get hold of a couple repair wires, other than that i should be able to get this install on its way.

Just need some more advice on this...

So i did a test install on the car last night and found this.
the mirror is dimming when i point a light at it (iPhone camera flash light) and then goes back so i can see that is working but i didnt change anything on VCDS to accommodate this (do i need to?)

BIG PROBLEM:
I know the rain sensor is meant to got to pin 3 black connector block F, problem is none of the pins on F are labelled so i dont know where to install the wire into. There is one free connection on the block but i dont know if this is the one i need. I am sure that the other 2 wires (live and ground) on the light sensor are connected.
When i enable the light/rain sensor on VCDS a error message comes up on the DIS saying that the light and rain sensor is defective.
There are 2 error messages that come up on VCDS but i am now at work and dont have the error log with me. 1 is about the actual sensor and the other is about the canbus connection saying no signal.
Can anyone advise which pin is no.3 on block F so i can confirm that this is connected properly?

thanks

ok well i researched the whole day and found another site with some info on it. finally got it working so now just to get the windscreen fitted on saturday and then all the install should be complete.

Just wanted to check, can anyone that has auto dimming mirror/auto lights check that in the Dome light if there is a wire connected in pin 1? also what pins the wires are connected to.
Thanks

Havnt needed to connect a wire to the lights in roof from the mirror, iirc that was something I saw in wiring for a TT

im having trouble with the auto lights. everything else seems to be working fine. headlights stay on even in daylight. I checked the measuring blocks on CE-09 (008) with VCDS and the light sensor is working as i can change the value of the brightness by covering the sensor. Now i am thinking it may have something to do with the light switch or the fact that i have retro fitted bi-xenons?
too many options to check right now.

ok well i researched the whole day and found another site with some info on it. finally got it working so now just to get the windscreen fitted on saturday and then all the install should be complete.

Hi - sorry to drag up an old thread but can you tell me which the other site was to get this info? I am looking to have this installed and need to ask a few questions.

What is it that is so special about the alternate screen? I have a quote for £160 +vat for replacement - is this reasonable?

Also, does anybody have any photos of either the install or the finished product?

Thanks.

well the new windscreen is needed as the auto dimming mirror sits on a mount which is different from the standard plain mirror. this mount is attached to the windscreen and cannot be changed although i have heard a couple people somehow managed to fix an auto dimming mirror without changing over the windscreen.

that price isnt bad... but you could always just go through your insurance and get your 'cracked' windscreen replaced for your excess fee (usually between £50-£70) :ninja:

i have a couple of pics of the wire install i was doing but you cannot really tell from them what is going on, as for the finished product there isnt anything to see as with a good install you wont notice any major difference. the main visible parts that change are the rear view mirror and the light switch. the other stuff (wiring) gets installed under the headlining and behind the dash and the rain sensor sits behind the mirror so nothing else is noticed.

Hi I have the same issue where the auto headlights stay on throughout. Could you share how you managed to resolve this issue?

I managed this whole job really easily.

I rang Nigel, NHN and paid for him to do it for me. was an easy job from start to finish.

Go to bank, withdraw money, hand to nigel, enjoy modification.

4 simple steps. the second and third steps are the trickier ones.

Reactions: RedDejavu
Hi I have the same issue where the auto headlights stay on throughout. Could you share how you managed to resolve this issue?

i just cleared errors with VCDS, disabled and re-enabled the auto lights function on the CE module and then just flicked the light switch a few times and it started working... obviously the flicking of light switch/testing should be done in the daytime so you know that the sensor is working correctly by switching the lights off

I rang Nigel, NHN and paid for him to do it for me. was an easy job from start to finish.

LOL!

Thats made me laugh my head of very loudly lmfao, classic, certainly easier overall lmfao.

Honestly, I do not mind at all to pay to rectify the issues. The problem here is that we do not have talents like Nigel in my country.
If he ever wants to visit the tiny red dots, I will gladly play host.

Hey I'll work anywhere, get me a few weeks work & I'll fly over :)

£180-£200 is the price I see mostly, so fair price yes.

That sounds reasonable to me. What company was that with?

That was from National Windscreens. Guy on the other end of the phone seemed to understand what I was talking about too - always a bonus to avoid getting the wrong one replaced!

Thanks. I'll give them a try. Still waiting for the loom from Kufatec.

No problem mate.

Would be interesting if you could take the time and put together a DIY guide - not sure if there is a comprehensive one on here or not.

Seems to be that there is some wiring to complete manually and it is not all 'plug-and-play'.

No problem mate.

Would be interesting if you could take the time and put together a DIY guide - not sure if there is a comprehensive one on here or not.

Seems to be that there is some wiring to complete manually and it is not all 'plug-and-play'.

yes there are a couple wires that dont come on the kufa loom but this is because its not actually part of that same loom. kufa loom gets the wires from the rain sensor and the dimming mirror to the ce. you also need to wire in the coming home button on the new headlight, the auto button on the new headlight switch, and to top it off some of the wires are a 'add a pin into the empty hole in ce' where as others are 'splice and join onto the existing wire'. not to mention you need to wire onto the fuse box to get the new functions working.
bare in mind though that this is one of the more harder and tedious mods to do... not for the faint hearted.