EGR Valve Problem/Help required

bamurphy

Reaction score
I own a 53 plate 2.0ltr FSI sport. 45k miles

Basically MIL light came on so I connected up VAG-COM, returned the fault...

17808 - EGR Valve (N18): Electrical Malfunction
P1400 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

No noticeable performance loss, if anything MPG is slightly lower.

After a quick internet search I found that a lot of Diesel EGR valves tend to get **** up to put it bluntly. I thought ok could possibly be this but there doesn’t seem to be many petrol engine posts.

With the fault code stating "Electrical Malfunction" i decided to take the top cover (6x T20 torx) of the electrical control part of the EGR valve.

From the 1st picture you can see 3 cogs. 1 metal and 2 larger plastic.

2nd picture shows my problem, all three cogs had an argument and the two plastic ones came off worse. The picture above shows the damage to the middle cog, the other has the same damage.

I ring Audi (Preston) and speak to their parts department (nice enough chap) but to be given the answer not in these words but to the effect "who do you think you are trying to fix your car yourself, we charge £190ish+ fitting for the complete EGR valve bring it anytime"

Anyway for 2 plastic cogs it can’t be more than £5. My dilemma is where to find them...

On the plastic cover removed from the top of the mechanism CTS PRT xxxxxxx, so I ring CTS Automotive (Glasgow) speak to a chap who says they don’t make these just the sensors..ok, but he does give me another company Pierburg.

This is where I’m stuck trying to find the right UK number/Contact. Has anyone else attempted/had this problem with their car?

Also is there anyone who has a EGR valve(Broken or working) for sale or a spare that I could buy the cogs from? PM me please

Hi mate

personally, Id suggest replacing it.

Its around £100 IIRC for a new one but i doubt your ever going to find the right cog or if you really want, Im sure you could get one from a breakers for £30/£40 and put the cogs into yours as yours is quite low mileage example.

Pierburg are the makers of the oem unit (well, they do the intake manifold flap so im assuming they do this one)

I doubt they're in the UK TBH.

Also, you wont know if the cog has done more damage to the EGR...and whats to say if you replace the cog, the egr will do the same to the new 1..

Thats would id do anyway but its your call

I would be interested to hear if there was any resolution to this too