Front bumper removal

alfiejts

Reaction score
Having established that I need to remove my A3 front bumper to remove the headlights, can anyone advise what the steps are that I ned to go through to remove the front bumper on a 2004 A3 S-Line?

Many thanks,
Graham

Sorry dig this one up but can anyone help on this one. I can't find anything about front bumper removal.

Thanks

Yes - there's deffo a thread on it somewhere, as I wrote it up....

I'll try and find it and post a link.

Found it.....

Here is the thread: http://www.audi-forums.com/8p-forum/41589-headlights.html?highlight=front+bumper

This is a extract of the bumper bit....

1) Remove the bumper:

a) Remove the three bolts holding the top of the grill between the headlights.
b) Remove all the bolts securing the bottom edge of the bumper to the undertray (about seven or so...)
c) On each side of the car, inside each wheelarch:
Remove the three bolts holding the wheelarch liner to the back of the bumper.
Peel back the wheelarch liner where the bumper meets the front wing. Inside, there's a "push in plastic bolt" securing the wing to bumper, with a plastic pin pushed in the middle of it, securing it. Use a small allen key or tiny screwdrive to push out the plastic pin which will allow the plastic bolt to be pushed out. If you follow the joint of the wing & bumper around to the front of the car (inside the wheelarch liner), there's another hex bolt that needs to be removed from inside the wheelarch liner, that goes through the metal body work and secures the bumper from behind.

That should free up the bumper. The sides are a push fit into securing clips under the front wing, so you next need to spring the sides of the bumper outwards, away from the wing and out of their securing clips.

That should allow you to pull the bumper forward away from the car and rest it on the floor. It will still be connected to the car by the foglight wires, but you can disconnect and remove the bumper altogether if you want to at this stage (I just left mine slack on the floor...)

Badley said:
Sorry dig this one up but can anyone help on this one. I can't find anything about front bumper removal.

Alfiejts description is pretty much spot on, just make sure you have the right tools. (I didnt, started to do it at 9pm and had to walk to work the following day, yes Im an idiot)

Also you dont need to take the whole bumper off, you can loosen it on one side to a degree that will allow you to remove/attach the headlight, then replace all the screws and do the other side, when your finished a headlight error might appear on the dashboard DIS, if this happens take the key out of the ignition, leave for ten seconds and then try again.

Also, if your fitting a new headlight, you can adjust the dip to match your other headlight quite easily, theres a hole for a 'torx' bit on the top of the headlight unit, stops you blinding other drivers...

on my 2006 s line ,
there are 2 torx screws that got into the wing in the vertical direction then one 10mm bolt in the horizontal direction, this is for both sides. I found it much easier to have both wheels off and both parts of the inner wheel arch removed.

Not as simple as the old golf MK4 that ran on two guides each side, I used to be able to get the bumper off in a few minutes.

I heard you had to remove the bumper to remove the headlights on the A4 too and its ********! You can get them out without removing the bumper, don't know if the A3 is the same but there are 2 bolts on top and one to the inboard side of the headlight at the front, worth a try before stripping it all down.

I've done it and it is necessary to remove (or at the very least loosen) the bumper, as there are protruding parts of the headlights that stick out below the bumper so the lights won't simply lift out....

Does anybody know if u need to remove the bumper to replace the chrome grill frame?? by the looks of it you have too. Cracked mine, wall, icy road etc....

cheers

"Peel back the wheelarch liner where the bumper meets the front wing. Inside, there's a "push in plastic bolt" securing the wing to bumper, with a plastic pin pushed in the middle of it, securing it. Use a small allen key or tiny screwdrive to push out the plastic pin which will allow the plastic bolt to be pushed out."

How do you get these plastic bolts back in? Is it easy?

If they have been removed as described above, or are new, just line the holes up, push in the bolt and tap the centre pin home to open out the wings that secure the plastic liners in place.
Yes, it's that easy.