Rear footwell light retro fit kit

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I am now able to offer rear footwell lights which will be plug and play. These will fit both the 3dr and sportback models.

They are simple to fit:

Remove the existing footwell light, plug my loom into the existing connector, plug the light into my loom and then the other end of the cable will need to be routed under the carpet or down the sill under the plastic cover up into the under side of the seat, the light then goes into the back of the seat.

Here is a picture of the loom - please note that in the picture there is a connector missing, this won't be the case when i send them to you (i am waiting for connectors from Audi).

3ead658b.jpg

I don't have a fitting guide yet however as soon as i am able to find someone willing to take some pics for me whilst they fit them or if i am able to fit them to one of my friends A3 i will post them up.

Price for the loom is like my other looms at £17.50 each and the lights are £7.50 each. 1st Class Recorded Postage is £5.

PM me if interested.

Reactions: bruno901, FranA3 and MrWhItEwOlF
Any other options rather than putting them in the seats as i have buckets,cheers..:scared2:

Hi Robin,

Great mod and professional Job.

So that I understand correctly, I have done some markup on your existing pic. Please confirm my understanding

3ead658b.jpg

My only concern (before I decide to purchase), do all 8P A3 / S3s have the same connectors as ETKA suggests a variety of configurations, see link as an example

http://home.comcast.net/~southcross2/VW/ETKA/Electrical_2_Lead.pdf

Thanks, KKP

Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF
kkp,

your picture is correct in what you have said., these are the connectors you get for plugging into the standard loom:

IMG00496-20120105-2108.jpg

the picture robin has put up are the looms he made up for me and as i have the connectors with me he couldnt put them onto the loom and show you the picture, i will have the looms monday or tuesday and will put a picture of the completed loom once its here.

all the 8p cars have this type of fitment.

Last edited:
Hi Robin,

Great mod and professional Job.

So that I understand correctly, I have done some markup on your existing pic. Please confirm my understanding

3ead658b.jpg

My only concern (before I decide to purchase), do all 8P A3 / S3s have the same connectors as ETKA suggests a variety of configurations, see link as an example

http://home.comcast.net/~southcross2/VW/ETKA/Electrical_2_Lead.pdf

Thanks, KKP

Thats correct. It wil be plug and play. All 8P's will have the same connectors UNLESS the footwell lights are LEDS from factory in which case a different connector will be required which isn't a problem as i can supply the correct connector.

This reminds me I must check my buckets to see if there is holes for lights underneath!!

Robin the loom looks very good! only one thing i will give you a heads up on this as i have doen this mod myself is that you need to have another connector on the loom for where it runs past the airbag plug under the seat. as if the seat needs to be removed then the rear foot well will need to be removed from the seats first.
In my install i have put bullet connectors in the loom by the airbag plug so should i need to remove the seats i can just easily disconnect the bullet connectors and the seats can come out without removing any other looms or the light holders.

Is it a hard job to retro fit foot well lights and the centre console light that shines red down onto the gear stick? My previous A3 had this pack my SB doesn't!

This reminds me I must check my buckets to see if there is holes for lights underneath!!

Wes, no holes under the buckets.

but there is a solution. run the loom from the front to the rear and i can double sided tape my panels and you can stick the onto the frame facing the floor.

drop me a text if you want to try it and il post the bulbs out.

i will be away tomo for a week tho so will have to be when i return.

Robin the loom looks very good! only one thing i will give you a heads up on this as i have doen this mod myself is that you need to have another connector on the loom for where it runs past the airbag plug under the seat. as if the seat needs to be removed then the rear foot well will need to be removed from the seats first.
In my install i have put bullet connectors in the loom by the airbag plug so should i need to remove the seats i can just easily disconnect the bullet connectors and the seats can come out without removing any other looms or the light holders.

i get what you mean now Ash, i had to read that 3 times...

as the loom end gets wedged in under the foam it will be a fiddle if you need to remove the seat in future?

i have just had mine come through that i got for a mate so once im back from NY i will have a go and try do the guide and post it up here.

as the loom end gets wedged in under the foam it will be a fiddle if you need to remove the seat in future?

i have just had mine come through that i got for a mate so once im back from NY i will have a go and try do the guide and post it up here.

Ahaaa I will have a job as cameraman rather than standing round looking useless LOL

Ok thanks for the feedback, Trups let me know how you get on and if you feel like an extra connector is needed then i will fit them to future looms.

I just mentioned it as its easier. yes the loom can be fed back out but its just another thing that does not need to be done if there was a connector to disconnect. when i wired mine in i tried to follow the other wires under the seat so that it isnt hanging down or visible in any way.
that being said the seats hardly ever need to come out.

I just mentioned it as its easier. yes the loom can be fed back out but its just another thing that does not need to be done if there was a connector to disconnect. when i wired mine in i tried to follow the other wires under the seat so that it isnt hanging down or visible in any way.
that being said the seats hardly ever need to come out.

Hi mate,

I'm gonna be fitting these. Can you provide some details on how the ran the cables from the front of the car to the back? Did you go under the carpet, or plastic side trims etc. How did you get them threaded etc?

Thanks
:)

Reactions: s3_trev
Just a quick update with a proper photo of the retro fitting kit:

fullfootwell.jpg

This consists of a front footwell loom and then 2 rear footwell looms.

The rear footwell looms can be added to an existing front footwell loom - simply plug and play.

Hi mate,

I'm gonna be fitting these. Can you provide some details on how the ran the cables from the front of the car to the back? Did you go under the carpet, or plastic side trims etc. How did you get them threaded etc?

Thanks
:)

i removed the sill on the door and the seats. I spliced teh front footwell loom and soldered in my connection and used a heat shrink to cover it and then ran the cable under the carpet (by lifting it from the sill side) and to where the airbag plug is under the plastic cover (under the seat). I made a bullet connection from here so i can disconnect the loom should i need to take the seat out. I then fixed the light in place under the seats that i had removed and ran the loom through the cable cover under the seats to where the airbag plug is (the one on the seat side) and used the other bullet connector here again. then just refitted the seat and connected it all back up as it should be.
job done

Do you need bullet connectors if you can unplug the loom, via connectors, at the end of the rear footwell lights? Just a thought and my two pennies worth

Having an extra connector will make it easier but it's not needed. I have supplied a few rear footwell looms without the extra connector and they have been fitted with no issues.

no i agree its not totally needed but when i did my loom, i threaded the part from the rear footwell to the airbag plug through the plasting wire covers already under the seats so its totally OEM. taking those out when you need to take the seats out in a pita

i removed the sill on the door and the seats. I spliced teh front footwell loom and soldered in my connection and used a heat shrink to cover it and then ran the cable under the carpet (by lifting it from the sill side) and to where the airbag plug is under the plastic cover (under the seat). I made a bullet connection from here so i can disconnect the loom should i need to take the seat out. I then fixed the light in place under the seats that i had removed and ran the loom through the cable cover under the seats to where the airbag plug is (the one on the seat side) and used the other bullet connector here again. then just refitted the seat and connected it all back up as it should be.
job done

Wow, cheers mate. Do you really need to take out the seats?! Also can you explain a little more about how you removed the side trim/sill and carpet?

Thanks

Wow, cheers mate. Do you really need to take out the seats?! Also can you explain a little more about how you removed the side trim/sill and carpet?

Thanks

there isnt much space when the seat is still bolted in so its easier to take the seats out. its only 4 bolts anyway so not hard.

once you remove the panel under the steering wheel there is a panel on the side by the bonnet lever that can be pulled out. once that is out then pull off the plastic trim holding the carpet down on the side of the sill. if the seats are out you can then just pull the carpet up slightly to lay the wire in. simples :)

Hi guys,

Just got round to fitting these to my S3 SB after getting the great looms from Robin. I already had his front lights (OEM LED ones) so I wanted to do the same for the rear. This is how I did it…

The drivers and passenger side are exactly the same apart from dropping the glovebox vs dropping the driver side knee knee panel.

First start by dropping the glovebox/knee panel:

1.JPG

and then pull of the side trim next to the door/footwell, it just pulls off outwards and upwards:

2.JPG

3.JPG

Then pull off the side trim, just pulls off upwards. I only went as far back as the B-piller, that gave me enough room:

4.JPG

5.JPG

8.JPG

Also remove the little access panel under the front edge of the seat:

7.JPG

So you can run the cable under the carpet from the door sill to the access panel, you need to tilt the seat back by unscrewing the 4 bolts (one on each corner). You don't need to take the seat out of the car, just unscrew the bolts and push back:

9.JPG

You now need to run the rear footwell loom from the front footwell light, down the side panel, and along the sill:

11.JPG

When the loom gets level with the access hatch/front seat mounting. Push the loom under the carpet and through to the access hatch:

10.JPG

Pull through the loom and then refit the panel:

12.JPG

Sorry no more pics, battery ran out!

Then thred the loom towards the back of the seats, making sure the wire is out of the way and you have enough to allow the seat to move back and forth. Install the light and:

End1.JPG

End2.JPG

End3.JPG

End4.JPG

One last pic, here you can see the difference between the OEM LED and the one as supplied by t8ups, as you can see much brighter! (OEM Right, t8ups Left):

LED.JPG

Any questions let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: s3_trev, Arjuanamo and MrWhItEwOlF
I would like to get this however I have a 3 Door A3 so wouldnt really be ideal as the back seats are rarely used :) but I have the other 3 Wire Looms from Robin and love them so if I come across some spare cash I may get this as well :D

MrWhItEwOlF

I would like to get this however I have a 3 Door A3 so wouldnt really be ideal as the back seats are rarely used :) but I have the other 3 Wire Looms from Robin and love them so if I come across some spare cash I may get this as well :D

MrWhItEwOlF

I'm in the same position. I have a 3 door and would like to do this mod but not sure it's worth it. I hardly ever have anyone in the back. Might get this loom pack when I get Robin to make me some loom extenders for my door cards.

Thanks for the write up Silky, I should have read this before asking questions in your build thread.

Where does the actual light attach? Does it sit in the seat or the floor?

There is a cut out on the rear underside of the front seats - Trups pointed them out to me and said I should get some LED's fitted there.

I shall hopefully have the full compliment of LED's. "XXL Interior light pack" consisting of red's & puddles in all 4 doors, footwell's front & rear, map lights front & rear, front dome light, vanity mirrors & twin boot lights. Just need to fit the 2nd boot LED & rear footwells week on wednesday.

Just glad LED's don't consume much juice or i'll be needing an alternator the size of... erm... well a big one...

I'll get my waterbottle and go to bed...

Last edited:
I shall hopefully have the full compliment of LED's. "XXL Interior light pack" consisting of red's & puddles in all 4 doors, footwell's front & rear, map lights front & rear, front dome light, vanity mirrors & twin boot lights. Just need to fit the 2nd boot LED & rear footwells week on wednesday.

also in the light pack remember the red ambient led lights on the door handles, the ambient lights in the dome light and the red ambient light under the climate control unit...
and if you want to go even more extra like me then red ambient lights in footwell areas and door pockets.... i might also try and find someway of getting some ambient lights in the rear... or is that maybe a bit too much?

There is a cut out on the rear underside of the front seats

Thanks for this. I'll look out for them.

Robin, your price is £17.50 per loom.
Is this kit one or 2 looms?

Also, how do you feel about shipping to Australia and any idea on what it would cost?

Rear footwell kit is 2 looms and 2 white lights.

Price per loom is £17.50 and £7.50 per white light.

Shipping to OZ is not a problem, my looms get shipped out all over the world. Shipping to OZ will be £10 as its sent tracked.

Hi Robin,

Do you ship to South Africa at all?

Just bought a 2010 regged S3 Sportback and am looking to do the front/rear footwell and puddle lights. I understand there may be a difference in the looms required if the car was manufactured in 2010 rather than 2009?

Cheers
Darryn

I really like the look of these but I have buckets. Am i correct in saying that these can't be fitted to buckets as there is no mounting bracket? I haven't had a look at the bottom of the seat, is there any chance a bracket can be modified to fit?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Hi Robin,

Do you ship to South Africa at all?

Just bought a 2010 regged S3 Sportback and am looking to do the front/rear footwell and puddle lights. I understand there may be a difference in the looms required if the car was manufactured in 2010 rather than 2009?

Cheers
Darryn

I can ship to SA not a problem, tracked postage will be £10.

The footwell loom will be slightly different on 2010 cars - see fitting guide here - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...y-guide-retro-fitting-foot-well-lights-2.html (Silky aka Matt fitted the loom tohis 2010 A3).

I really like the look of these but I have buckets. Am i correct in saying that these can't be fitted to buckets as there is no mounting bracket? I haven't had a look at the bottom of the seat, is there any chance a bracket can be modified to fit?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

From what i have heard the bucket seats don't have a slot for the lights to clip into. The only way to do it is to find some method of sticking the light to the bottom of the seats, i guess you could use double sided foam like the stuff you use on number plates.

Great! I'll just double check what loom I'll need and place an order :)

You won't need to check as the loom will be the same - the only difference is the length of the wiring, i can make the length suit a 2010 car and if your car is non 2010 car then you can just fit the loom and hide the extra length of wire away, its only 10cm difference in length.

Reactions: Acheron
Reactions: Acheron
Yep, no probs fitting to 2010+ cars. Go with the OEM TT LED option as well :)

Some cars will throw up an error with TT LED's, you are best using Trup's LED kit with the standard lights.

Some cars will throw up an error with TT LED's, you are best using Trup's LED kit with the standard lights.

Really? Even with coding the 'LED monitoring off' with VCDS?