Facelift headlight switch - which is the one I need? (pic included)

wez3570

Reaction score
I'm looking to change the headlight switch but am having trouble finding the facelift equivalent.

Can anyone help?

This is the one I currently have

IMG_2038.jpg

ill put a pic of mine tomorrow if no one puts one up.

there you go n8 to the rescue yet again.
i would have thought it was an option not may people have hence being hard to find

Can you not just get any old facelift light switch, then swap over the big dial?

I want one for mine but never seen one that has, 'coming home' button and the DRL roller switch together as well as auto lights.

This is the chrome version headlight for cars that have Auto lights, bi-xenon headlamps with the drl lights.

part number: 8J2 941 531 E
Its actually from a TT not an A3 but fits and works perfectly.

6e60673a.jpg

from the OP i can see that the pic you have shows you still have the manual range control adjuster instead of the DRL roller which means you still have halogen headlights and not the bi-xenon with DRLs

the part number for that switch (with manual range control roller wheel) is 8J2 941 531 L
that shows up on ETKA for cars that have front and rear fogs, auto lights, coming home button and manual range control roller. it also has a code to show its the aluminium switch. price is roughly £65 from Audi but ask Stoke Audi here on the forum as i got the above switch from them at £63.

from the OP i can see that the pic you have shows you still have the manual range control adjuster instead of the DRL roller which means you still have halogen headlights and not the bi-xenon with DRLs

the part number for that switch (with manual range control roller wheel) is 8J2 941 531 L
that shows up on ETKA for cars that have front and rear fogs, auto lights, coming home button and manual range control roller. it also has a code to show its the aluminium switch. price is roughly £65 from Audi but ask Stoke Audi here on the forum as i got the above switch from them at £63.

Good man, thanks for that. :icon_thumright:

This is the chrome version headlight for cars that have Auto lights, bi-xenon headlamps with the drl lights.

part number: 8J2 941 531 E
Its actually from a TT not an A3 but fits and works perfectly.

6e60673a.jpg

Ash I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I retrofitted the the Bi-xenons+leds in my 2009 a3 and I want the CH/LH function but I don't have auto wiper light sensor installed. I have been told to get CH/LH function I need to install this headlight switch that you have pictured. Do you know if this is true or can I just do the recoding and the ground wire trick?

I want one - but want to upgrade the climate unit switches to match and hear you can't unless you fiddle and take it apart etc :(

Il check that headlight switch for you, but I don't think that will work on pre facelift cars. I have seen facelift headlight switchs to not work and leave the headlights on all the time regardless of headlight position

Ash I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I retrofitted the the Bi-xenons+leds in my 2009 a3 and I want the CH/LH function but I don't have auto wiper light sensor installed. I have been told to get CH/LH function I need to install this headlight switch that you have pictured. Do you know if this is true or can I just do the recoding and the ground wire trick?

im not too sure on the 09 plate cars. i would have thought that just doing the wire tap would have done it. in any case if you dont have auto lights the ch mod would turn the lights on at any time of day. Also if you do get the headlight switch i have you may have other issues as your car does not have auto lights and the switch might cause errors to come up relating to auto lights pack.

:laugh: Forgot all about it, working on the car tomorrow in fact, so will tell you what mine is, incase it differs from Ads.

Ads hasn't commented on this thread :think:

Il check that headlight switch for you, but I don't think that will work on pre facelift cars. I have seen facelift headlight switchs to not work and leave the headlights on all the time regardless of headlight position

Yep I tried it headlights stay on all the time and brings up an error, and none of the buttons function i.e fog lights wont work either.

Chris i pm'd you the one you asked about.

for anyone else the aluminium headlight switch that should work are the ones from the TT, which all the RHD versions start with 8J2

if anyone wants one of these aluminium headlight switches just let me know what light options you currently have in the car and i will send you back the part number listed on ETKA for it.

here are the common ones that most people want, all are RHD versions:

Halogen headlight versions:
8J2 941 531 K
Listed for cars that have headlights, sidelights, front and rear fogs and manual headlight range control (cars that have standard halogen lights without auto light sensor). Switch is Aluminium.

8J2 941 531 L
Listed for cars that have Auto headlights, sidelights, front and rear fogs, coming home button and manual range control (For cars that have standard halogen headlights). Switch is Aluminium.

Single/Standard xenon version:
8J2 941 531
Listed for cars that have headlights, sidelights, front and rear fogs and manual headlight range control (cars that have standard xenon lights without auto light sensor). Switch is Aluminium.

8J2 941 531 B
Listed for cars that have Auto headlights, sidelights, front and rear fogs, coming home button and auto levellers without DRL roller (cars that have standard/single xenon headlights). Switch is Aluminium.

Bi-Xenon versions:
8J2 941 531 D
Listed for cars that have bi-xenon headlights, front and rear fogs and auto levellers with DRL roller (cars that have bi-xenon headlights with DRLs without auto light sensor). Switch is Aluminium.

8J2 941 531 E
Listed for cars that have Auto headlights, front and rear fogs, coming home button and auto levellers with DRL roller (cars that have bi-xenon headlights with DRLs). Switch is Aluminium.

Reactions: GTz, Omy193 and Sevv
:laugh: Forgot all about it, working on the car tomorrow in fact, so will tell you what mine is, incase it differs from Ads.

Dont you have the bi xenon version though?

What is the car is a 2006 model standard halogen with a retrofit to a 2010 model with bi-xenon? What switch do I need for this type ?
Because I already bought one from ebay and it doen't work unless I put a ground wire on the extra 2 pins. I am confused !

Can you not just get any old facelift light switch, then swap over the big dial?

Yes you can, I've just sourced a facelift unit from a flood damaged car to try this, place a cloth over the dial and pull hard with a pair of pliers to remove, then simply push the facelift dial on until it clicks, all the dials are exactly the same fitment, its the internals of the switch unit that are different.

Last edited:
Hi Craig ,
Do you think this would work with the heater controls too , swapping over to face lift heater buttons from standard placcy .
Are they the same system as the light switch , just pull off and press on the replacements ?

Thanks Craig , sorry , should have looked it up first , I got a face lift light switch though , going to have a go at it at the weekend :icon_thumright:
Thanks Ash , spot on :anbet: