Ashtray LED Strip

Farhan

Reaction score
Right all needed a bit of help here, im fitting a few ambient lights and nigel mentioned that there is a OEM led strip which goes under the heating controls which lights up directly to the ashtray.

I already have the light emitting diodes from audi in my roof lights which shine down on the gear area but i wanted to purchase the oem one for the heater controls. I have searched around for it but i cant see any other info on part numbers.

If anyone knows please could they advise (Also if you have ekta as i do but i cant use it on any of my macs)
Thanks

Farhan, I am looking for the same thing. My car was not fitted with this led strip, but I wonder if
that was done to prevent reflections off the shiny ashtray cover???? Anyway, I would like to try it
and see the effect. Comments welcomed.

Yer same! but tbh i reckon it will look good i have an aftermarket solution which i am working on for footwells in a subtle glow but using the same led under the hvac unit will be to bright as the light is firing direct down even with a wide angle led.

i know the part number for the doorhandle lights but i doubt the light emitting diode will fit under the hvac as i removed it the other day.

I didn't know this was possible? Certainly can't recall seeing it on any example but it sounds like a god idea which I think could look great.

Defo bro, Nige mentioned it in a PM to me but he never got back to me with a part number and it also came up on another thread but no part numbers.

I had ekta but i need a windows pc, i only have macs at home and my work pc id rather not put ekta on as i need to reset the dates on the machine so ekta works properly but then that messes up all our excel macros and stuff. lol

Defo bro, Nige mentioned it in a PM to me but he never got back to me with a part number and it also came up on another thread but no part numbers.

I had ekta but i need a windows pc, i only have macs at home and my work pc id rather not put ekta on as i need to reset the dates on the machine so ekta works properly but then that messes up all our excel macros and stuff. lol
Cool. Would be interested to see the results.

It was fitted to early models as part of the interior light pack, but this part of it was not included after the facelift. If you feel under the dash on a pre facelift car you can feel where the light unit goes, but on our MY10 car with interior light pack, nothing is under there. Another cost saving I suspect...

I had this on my 54 plate 1.9 TDi SE and it looked really special at night. I do miss it on my S3 :(

hmm now i wonder was it specific to the older HVAC units or were they the same so ours can still accomodate this.

"Attention Attention"

54plate onwards A3s with lightpack please help us"

LOL Farhan, you really want this installed! Il have a look on ETKA again for the part number... although last time you said it was from a TT.
did you finish off the footwells or are you going to hang on till i can come round this week? how did the looms go? my LEDs are in so once we get this done and the other LED interior lights next week we can get a few photos up here :)

Defo want it installed brother!

yea the tt had one but it wont fit from the size of it, Im waiting up on you dude, looms sort of complete but im waiting on this now to make sure i dont need to wire this into the loom as it probably can have a power source nearby instead.

Ye def once were done we can do a write up

I had it on the old A3 (04) and as said it was part of the light pack . Had the same set up in the foot wells as well.

DSC_0009d-1.jpg

All in there was 2 in the roof light 1 above the ash tray, 1 in each foot well and 1 in each door handle as well as normal door open lights and puddle lights.
I have seen a SB with then under the front seats lighting the rear foot well also

Last edited:
I've just checked and I have this already installed.....I must have the interior light package. ;)

img1696q.jpg

:) DAMN BRO, sorry to bug you but could you get a few more pics of your HVAC panel? Maybe a slightly better one of underneath so i can see if my hvac will have a recess for this to sit in.

:arco:

as requested :

img1709j.jpg

Cheers dude pretty much identical to mine, I have a double din so im guessing my hvac sits somewhat lower. Going to quickly browse ebay.

It was fitted to early models as part of the interior light pack, but this part of it was not included after the facelift. If you feel under the dash on a pre facelift car you can feel where the light unit goes, but on our MY10 car with interior light pack, nothing is under there. Another cost saving I suspect...
A little frustrating, I'm sure it looks ace in the night. On the other hand, didn't know it existed until earlier so not too bothered.

hmm i think thats the actual ashtray light, Have you tried searching under heating controls? I have pmed nigel as he knows just waiting on a response

i couldnt find any other light around the ashtray/heating console area... i will carry on searching for it though...

by the way that part number i posted up is a LED light... im not sure if the ashtray one is actually LED or bulb??

hmm, this is what nigel said in the last pm i had from him.

"Plugnplay for 2 led strip, but plastic trim needs drilling & flattening inside or buy new trim that comes with precut holes."

So its 2 led strips apparently but from digs photo it looks like theres a transparent cover on it aswell which spreads the light.

hmm he has a single din... wondering if this would change anything?? Diggz... can you get a part number from the actual light?

How would I get the part number without taking anything apart ? :ermm:

Still waiting on nigel fellas, hes given me a price now im just waiting to buy this. If its the right one then maybe nigel can get hold of a few for us?

Ok no luck on the led front managed to find the part no and placed an order with Dave at stoke audi in the end,

Here is the part number and the following bits

8P0857355
Fibre Optic Led Conductor
U-I-MTc4LjguMTAxLjEzMQ==T-1300463068.JPG

000 979 009 EA
Terminal Repair Wire x 2

4B0 972 623
Connector for terminal wire

Will be receiving my one some time next week and will try a retrofit, As i have a double din there is no slot to fit this on my HVAC but ash has managed to find a solution and if i can get this done to with his help we will put a small guide up.

you only need one repair wire as it has 2 pin ends. Just cut the wire in half and then join the cut off ends to the existing wire that you are tapping onto.

the lights work well with a very small modification to a plastic underneath the HVAC unit.

ah damn! going to ring dave and see if i can cancel for the other wire! in the mean time paddy has given word that he also had oem under footwell leds!! We need to search those up on etka. Im going to throw him a pm!

Yes I have completed this in my sportback, along with front footwell ambient lights and rear footwells LEDs.
The job under the hvac (aircon) unit is quiet easy. I found that I already had the led strip in my car but as I have a double din cage as standard the led strip was hidden behind the hvac, probably as there isn't enough space left under the hvac unit. Also I have the smokers pack in my car so there is an ashtray instead of a cubby hole like diggz has above.
Anyway what you need to do is wire in the 2 ends coming from the new led strip to the existing led light inside the actual ashtray. This is easily done once you remove the hvac unit and the ashtray, as once the ashtray is taken out you will need to disconnect the ashtray led and its those wires you need to tap onto. A slight modification will be needed to be made (cut a hole) on the plastic trim that sits under the hvac unit to allow the wires to pass through. Then just secure the light unit to the underneath of the hvac.

I have a black carbon fibre wrap on my ashtray so the light looks good in mine. When Farhan tried it he found that the light was too bright as he has the brushed metal trim on his which reflected too much.

I will try and get you some pics later on, but all in all it's a 30 minute job max!

Reactions: dav150n
I have the led strip under my HVAC unit already which was fitted as standard as mine is a single din ... Just wondered if it shows up much if you have a double din as i am just about to convert to double din and wondered if id lose the effect as i quite like it.

just been and looked at mine and snapped the lugs off the plastic trim bit :keule:. does anyone know the part number for the one with the hole already cut out??

Good work lads - what is the final price on the mods?

costs about £15 for the light, the connector and a repair wire.

I have the led strip under my HVAC unit already which was fitted as standard as mine is a single din ... Just wondered if it shows up much if you have a double din as i am just about to convert to double din and wondered if id lose the effect as i quite like it.

it looks quiet good, to be honest its brighter than how it is currently looking in yours as there is more space and the light is set towards the back where as after the double din upgrade you will need to find a way to secure it to the underneath of the hvac as it will not sit on the cage as it should. the clips on the cage for this light unit is actually behind the hvac so you wont be able to see the light at all.
this is where i found mine:
4ecf2427.jpg

here is a daytime shot of how it now looks

a2af55d4.jpg

just been and looked at mine and snapped the lugs off the plastic trim bit :keule:. does anyone know the part number for the one with the hole already cut out??

i didn't know there was a trim already with a hole, as far as i knew this light was never visible to anyone with a double din install hence me having to cut a hole for it.

:think:hmm. so does this just fit to the bottom of the hvac unit or does it sit through the plastic trim that is underneath the unit???
(the trim underneath has got a rectangular template where the light would sit. i'm guessing this is the bit you needed to cut?)
i would of thought you could buy the trim with or without the cut, surely if its standard on some cars?

well as far as i know none of the A3's with double dins had this light showing. I had a symphony and lights pack from factory on mine and on the picture i previously posted you can see that the red glow is coming from underneath the cage at the back, the hvac unit sits in front of this and blocks it out. it is in its own clips back there so i cannot see it being able to be fitted else where without some modding.

i now have is sat tucked underneath the hvac, also bare in mind as this is not meant to be there as OEM fit the wire attached to it from factory is short and just about reaches to the hvac.

edit:
i will try and get some pics for you to show how i installed it

cheers mate. that would be great. just found this part number 8PO 864 138 D. a think thats the part am trying to explain!

(forgot to say mines only single din. sorry)

Last edited: