Stiggy's A3 Build Thread :D

Stiggles

Top Gear!
Reaction score
OK so I've been on here a while and as I am now home safe and sound it's time to let the mod's recommence :D

I'll start of with a few pics of things I did in the 3 months I had the car before I left and then gradually add more as I do more tweeks, I have quite a bit in mind so it's going to be interesting :idea:

Anyway to keep myself straight I'll start of with the done stuff then let you guys know whats in store next!!

So here she is when I got her back in September

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

First thing I did was new alloys, RS5's in 18"

IMG_0049.jpg

Soon to be powder coated in black with a red lip!

Then came the DRL LED's, which will be getting lamin-x'd sooner or later

IMG_0051.jpg

Tinted Windows a must have for the stealthy look :aggressive: and a PH smiley

IMG_0086.jpg

And a re-map courtesy of Auto Tune :D 174bhp/282lb/ft

Then I bought myself an Autoglym Valet kit with some HD wax and Cleanser, along with water wiper thingy xD and some leather chamois and a drying towel. The results, after my first sunny day wash/wax

WAX ON!

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

WAX OFF!

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

And just before I went away I fitted some slightly smoked LED tail lights, will post up pics tomorrow or soon!

Just a few shots here and there!

DRL's from afar
IMG_0263.jpg

Next to the BEAST!
IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Shiny wax job
IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

I went to work today to pick her up and she was in a bad state! Absolutely filthy! So I gave her a quick bath before the sun went away on me, no pics though as wasn't much light and nothing has changed, although maybe should have got one of tail gate now that I think about it!

Now for the main dish, up coming mod's!

This will all be spread over the next few months and I don't know what order they'll be happening in yet bar a few which will be getting done soon!

So first thing I shall be doing is the Alloys, will be sending them away on monday as they're locked in a container at work as I had the 17's put on when I left.
They will be getting powder coated in black with the outer lip in red like the RS3 auto express did a review on.

car_photo_430018_25.jpg

After that I'll be getting S3 front brakes, which I'll have sprayed red.

Then comes the RS4 steering wheel and Starter button. (which I'll be having Nigel install)

I'm not decided on an RNS-E unit just quite yet as they are a bit of money and I don't know if I'd even need one!

S3 Acc/Brake and Clutch pedals, S3 Gear shifter.

Vinyl wrap on the grille surrounds and black grille and rear badge.

The list so far are things that are definitely getting done in the near future.

Then things on my to-do list over the coming months involve performance more so than vanity!

KW V2 Coils

Hybrid Turbo conversion
Forge intercooler w/Hoses
Clutch/Flywheel (poss sachs)
BMC Induction Kit
Upgraded Fuel Injectors
Braided Brake Hoses (not sure if they're better than S3 hoses, anyone know which are better?)
Shortshifter

And I may go for a facelift once everything is done.

S3 rear bumper/valance
S3 Black Ed front bumper/grille
and S3 skirts

Thanks for reading :) and I'll be updating as I go so keep your eyes peeled!

:kissmyrings:

Last edited:
Looking good so far mate, Im actually really looking forward to seeing how the rims turn out. personally not a big fan of the DRL's you have though. are they replicas or genuine audi ones? they dont look like the drls on the new a3s

good build so far though, looking forward to some more

Thanks Nate, I prefer the style of it over any of the othe Audi FBSW and it's been sitting around for a long time crying out 'fit me!'

Cheers, I'm going to stick some lamin-x on them and see if that makes them look more stealth, but as it is the light output is pretty terrible so I may have to change back, or even get a facelift with new DRL's

They are aftermarket, I like them but they're too chromy for what I have in mind lol.

I'm looking forward to it myself, sending them away tomorrow so should be done by wednesday :aggressive:

Some view in the 18th pic.

I'm also thinking on getting these wheels in the standard BE anthracite colour but I'm a bit worried people think I'm trying to look like an RS3.

I don't think you need to worry too much about that mate as pretty much all BE's come with them now, and I've even seen A4's with them, seeing as they are originally TT wheels don't pay any attention to what other people say XD

And yeah by the time the external mods are done she'll be nice and blacked out! with the exception of a little red around the alloys and on the callipers! Sent them away yesterday so I'll have them back tomorrow and get some pics up!

I definitely need her detailed soon though as I noticed a lot of swirls on the bonnet :(

Looking forward to seeing the wheels on,,,,, i agree with 55 tho laminx should sort that out m8, get it sorted tho coz its doing the front end no favours atm

bro just a request, could to take more pics of front lights? like from a distance and close up, one with just the side light on and others with full beam etc?

i want some but just not sure if they will look good or how they will set up. not many people have them on here so hence why im requesting you.

also you managed to get the laminx sorted?

bro just a request, could to take more pics of front lights? like from a distance and close up, one with just the side light on and others with full beam etc?

i want some but just not sure if they will look good or how they will set up. not many people have them on here so hence why im requesting you.

also you managed to get the laminx sorted?

I will do next time I give her a wash, to be honest I'm considering re fitting my old lights, as the output on these is **** poor and I like to do a lot of driving at night, the lamin-x will reduce the output to barely any to nowt!

I ordered the lamin-x of e-bay and it was shipped today, going to get it fitted when I get my front windows re-tinted as I needed to remove the tint for MOT

I like the lights because they are different but unless I find some way to improve the output I can't say I'd fully recommend them to anyone apart from styling features, for safety they're not great, I usually have full beams on and still see f**k all on country roads!

Anyway got the alloys back today and fitted them, I have to say I am well pleased with them, have been absolutely chuffed with the job done and they make me smile every time I look at the car =D

So here's a couple pics I took with the bad boys on!

e0b7499a.jpg

5e03c4b5.jpg

Now for bigger brakes to fill the gaps lmao! And also red callipers!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Richy_C and quattro81
Yeah I have some KW V2's in mind, I'm thinking of lowering her so the arch sits just above the tire as I'm not in to the whole slammed look, but she can deffo go a little lower!

Gonna have to wash her up nice next time it's sunny over here hahaha! I think she got neglected a bit when I was away :(

Also cheers guys :D

yeah will look sweet once lowered mine is sitting just above the arches and looks nice would love to go lower but am on the bottom of the adjusters on the front on v-maxx coilovers

with regards to the alloys: top job mann love em!

and the lights: have you tried changing them to higher bulbs? i personally wanted the new MY11 style DRL's, but my prospective car would most likely be a 2005 plate, and i was reading this post by NHN where he said its better to just get a new one as conversion is pricey...after reading that i died inside :crying:

but jokes apart...s3 xenons are still an option :D

once again top marks for those rims!

I will do next time I give her a wash, to be honest I'm considering re fitting my old lights, as the output on these is **** poor and I like to do a lot of driving at night, the lamin-x will reduce the output to barely any to nowt!

I ordered the lamin-x of e-bay and it was shipped today, going to get it fitted when I get my front windows re-tinted as I needed to remove the tint for MOT

I like the lights because they are different but unless I find some way to improve the output I can't say I'd fully recommend them to anyone apart from styling features, for safety they're not great, I usually have full beams on and still see f**k all on country roads!

Anyway got the alloys back today and fitted them, I have to say I am well pleased with them, have been absolutely chuffed with the job done and they make me smile every time I look at the car =D

So here's a couple pics I took with the bad boys on!

e0b7499a.jpg

5e03c4b5.jpg

Now for bigger brakes to fill the gaps lmao! And also red callipers!!

Gotta say dude.. when you mentioned doing this I thought the rs3 style rims would look awful not on an rs3.. but i'm converted - they look fooking brilliant!:wub: specially on a 3 door! and nice location for the pics:photo:

Keep the lights and lamin-x will be grand on the front - had them on my old A3 and they are still on it with no concerns for safety during the night.

Where are those pictures taken? In NI??

well... they certainly look a lot better than i thought they would, rate you for having the balls to try something new.. and it came off... You have certainly got the paint looking a lot better!! well done mate.. :thumbsup:

with regards to the alloys: top job mann love em!

and the lights: have you tried changing them to higher bulbs? i personally wanted the new MY11 style DRL's, but my prospective car would most likely be a 2005 plate, and i was reading this post by NHN where he said its better to just get a new one as conversion is pricey...after reading that i died inside :crying:

but jokes apart...s3 xenons are still an option :D

once again top marks for those rims!

Yeah when I got the lights the originals were ****e so I bought a set of high powered halogens, I might try the phillips ones but doubt it'll do much good!

Cheers I'm really happy with them myself =D

Gotta say dude.. when you mentioned doing this I thought the rs3 style rims would look awful not on an rs3.. but i'm converted - they look fooking brilliant!:wub: specially on a 3 door! and nice location for the pics:photo:

When I saw them on the RS3 I knew that I wanted to try it on mine, I'm really glad I did, and when I was asked what kinda red I said coke red lmao!

Keep the lights and lamin-x will be grand on the front - had them on my old A3 and they are still on it with no concerns for safety during the night.

Where are those pictures taken? In NI??

The light output isn't the same as the oem ones that I replaced them with, driving along at night and it's as if they aren't even on. I'm going to swap back to my OEM ones and see if it makes a huge difference

I would rather put lamin-x on and be able to see haha, plus the LED's have been throwing up errors occasionally which is starting to annoy me.

Yeah down beside carlingford lough, I live beside it and it's a prety nice view xD

well... they certainly look a lot better than i thought they would, rate you for having the balls to try something new.. and it came off... You have certainly got the paint looking a lot better!! well done mate.. :thumbsup:

I like being unique and different :D even if other people don't like what I do, if I do I could care less! Plus the car was dirty when they were taken as it had just rained and there was bits of mud and dirty water splattered all over her :(

Gonna give her a quick detail myself soon and then eventually get her detailed properly!

Anyway thanks guys, seems like most of you like the wheels :D

Now just to see what she looks like blackened out!

Ok guys so it was nice and sunny today so I gave the car a wash and wax, I think I may have used too much wax as it took foooookin forever to get it of.

I've been thinking about doing the grille in red as well but I'm gonna do it in vinyl wrap incase I don't like it then I'll just go with black!
Either the grille or the badges not sure yet!

Heres a few pics from after the wash/wax!

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

Enjoy! :happy:

do your grills black mate i would and leave the front badge chrome to brake up the front a bit otherwise tooooo much black , not sure on the red tho prob wont look right but give it a crack might look good dont know til you try eh

You off to ards in a rush this morning lad??

Haha I had a feeling that was you man, I was just keepin up with the lads in front!

If im honest i've never been a fan of these wheels but the above photo looks sweet. MY11 would of finished that photo off nicely.
I got a red badge at the moment wi'll upload a photo for you tomorrow fella :)

Yeah I'll be getting MY11's from Nigel, I really like how they look. Red badge being the Audi badges? That'd be great man.

Tidy :) Still not feeling the headlights though bro, MY10's FTW I think as the red of the wheels need the bright red that the MY10's have the MY11's have the tint on the edge that makes them more of a dark than blood red.

btw another side shot with the window down now the black & red theme is taking shape... Love the RS wheel, and the Beast RS6 even mo' nuthin but :wub: for it!!

good effort Stiggles, looks very shiny and tidy!!

now, wanna come and do the same to mine!! haha :jester:

Very, very tidy Stiggles, looks stunning :cool:

Loving the rims, brave choice but look the nuts! Love the red leather interior too- always been a fan of the "black & red" theme, and you pulled that off with style.

I think, in regards to the front end, IMHO - S3 Xenons to give it the OEM+ updated look (not a massive fan of aftermarket lights , sorry! plus you get better visability at night!) and de-chrome the grills, then I think it would look complete.

Great work though mate :wub:

What engine/model is it?

Nice one, Rog

P.s. get some wire wool and Autosol on the exhaust tips, it will bring them up a treat! If you hven't done so already!:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
do your grills black mate i would and leave the front badge chrome to brake up the front a bit otherwise tooooo much black , not sure on the red tho prob wont look right but give it a crack might look good dont know til you try eh
+1, wheels looking nice m8, i agree with RS about the MY10 and MY11 rears tho

Tidy :) Still not feeling the headlights though bro, MY10's FTW I think as the red of the wheels need the bright red that the MY10's have the MY11's have the tint on the edge that makes them more of a dark than blood red.

btw another side shot with the window down now the black & red theme is taking shape... Love the RS wheel, and the Beast RS6 even mo' nuthin but :wub: for it!!

I put my original lights back in yesterday as I don't think lamin-x woulda done anything but make them worse, except looks wise haha.

I've only seen pics of MY09 and 11's is there any pics of the 3? To compare. I just like the design on the MY11's but if the 10's are similar I may consider them.

The leather is a different shade of red but good idea I'll do that next time :)

good effort Stiggles, looks very shiny and tidy!!

now, wanna come and do the same to mine!! haha :jester:

Thanks, I'm trying to get better at self detailing, maybe not to the extreme that pros do it but just to keep her looking shiny!

And yeah sure I'll be over in a while to do yours ;-) lmfao.

Very, very tidy Stiggles, looks stunning :cool:

Loving the rims, brave choice but look the nuts! Love the red leather interior too- always been a fan of the "black & red" theme, and you pulled that off with style.

I think, in regards to the front end, IMHO - S3 Xenons to give it the OEM+ updated look (not a massive fan of aftermarket lights , sorry! plus you get better visability at night!) and de-chrome the grills, then I think it would look complete.

Great work though mate :wub:

What engine/model is it?

Nice one, Rog

P.s. get some wire wool and Autosol on the exhaust tips, it will bring them up a treat! If you hven't done so already!:icon_thumright:

I'll get a few pics with the old lights on and all the mods as they already look quite nice.

She's a 2.0TDI Sport 140, with the leather, arm rest and votex from factory, I think the front may have been lowered 5 or 10mm from factory too.

I've been meaning to clean up the exhaust, will be getting a detail soon though so I'm sure the exhaust will be cleaned up!

+1, wheels looking nice m8, i agree with RS about the MY10 and MY11 rears tho

Thanks man, I'll have a look into them see what the difference is and all that.

So she passed the MOT yesterday with the aftermarket lights, then I put the old ones back in hahaha. Have to say I'm happy to be able to see at night again!!! Lamin-x up next then brakes then the steering wheel etc.

Thanks, I'm trying to get better at self detailing, maybe not to the extreme that pros do it but just to keep her looking shiny!

And yeah sure I'll be over in a while to do yours ;-) lmfao.

good man! only round the corner! lmao

No rush mate, whenever you get a chance will be grand, looking forward to seeing them :D

Your right, I had the MY wrong it's MY09 the ones without the tinted sides.

OK not had an update for a while but there's a batch of updates being done at once which took a little time.

First I had the S3 shifter fitted, then I just sent her in to get detailed on tuesday, will have back on saturday in time for GTI NI where I'll get some nice pics of her looking shiny as ****!! And S3 brakes (callipers being sprayed Red) are waiting to be put on next week, also needs a service lmao.

I ordered MY11 tails and Aluminium pedals from Audi which will be ready today for pick up and I'll fit them when I get her back on saturday.

I'll be having the grill vinyl wrapped soon too, I'm really leaning towards doing it in a red close to the wheel colour.

I've also been thinking about S3 buckets, but they usually come in black so I'd have to find some cheapish then have them re-upholstered to match the interior.

Also does anyone know what kind of price S3 xenons are from Audi or 2nd hand? and what needs to be done in order to fit them? Or are they 'plug n play'?

I have gunsmoke lamin-x pre cut but I haven't fitted it yet as I don't want to if I end up going for xenons.

Also in the cards is re-tint of the windows, back 3 darker maybe 90% and having the front done again as they were taken off for MOT.

And to top off the styling mods steering wheel and rs4 starter whenever I get a chance, hopefully some time next month!!

Get some update pics up mate, sounds like some good plans that've got lined up.

Have to asked NHN about the xenons?

Is yours brilliant black?

SPEAK TO NIGE!! (NHN) about lights and stuff!! hes cheaper!!!

you wont get a set of buckets under £1400 regardless of condition! mine were a BIT more than that! & need retrimming which will be happening in the coming weeks..

sounds like you got some good plans though mate good on ya son!!!!