Joe90k's 2.0 TDi S-Tronic S-Line Build Thread... Finally!

Joe90k

Speed doesn't Kill!
Reaction score
Seeing as I have been a member of this site for a good while I think I should probably make a thread about my car. It's my fourth car having owned a Peugeot 306 XTDT, a Mk4 Golf 1.9 SE TDi 90PS (BUILD THREAD) and a Mk4 Golf 1.9 GT TDi before (BUILD THREAD). I also own a few Mk1 Golfs and am currently putting a 20Vt lump into one alongside a full respray etc. But that is on a different forum. If your interested though its HERE.

Back to my car, it is a late 2004 2.0 TDi DSG S-Tronic S-Line which I purchased back in 2009. It had 48K on the clock with a good spec, Xenon's, sunroof, auto lights/wipers, premium Bose, non-smoking pack and storage pack.

The day I bought it:
mg4525.jpg

mg4533.jpg

Overall in very good nick apart from the wheels which were ruined! So that's where I started, booked it in with Rimtec got all four refurbished in the form of a powder coating in semi-matte black:
mg4591.jpg

S3 DSG Gear knob and Custom iPhone 3Gs Mount fitted, cruise control fitted, ambient lighting fitted, TPMS fitted as well as S-Line Multifunction Steering wheel with red stitching:
mg4747.jpg

One that's not for the feint of heart updating to the newer style key, being brave enough to cut your old key up for the transponder when its the only one you have is one of my specialities [:p]
mg4744.jpg

Today I undertook the next stage of what I have planned. I began to facelift the car to the later style S-Line front. After some careful hunting I began working on the bumper:
mg4712.jpg

I then added an S-line Grille:
mg4713g.jpg

and assembled:
mg4714.jpg

Took the old front bumper off ready for the new one:
mg4715.jpg

Bumper on without grilles or numberplate holder:
mg4745.jpg

All done with the headlight washer caps:
mg4844.jpg

mg4846.jpg

09 Facelift LED lights, 8P2 S-Line Rear Bumper with Milltek Turboback Exhaust:
mg48431.jpg

LED Sidelights and Numberplate lights fitted:
img0011j.jpg

Also fitted OEM Bluetooth and changed the current interior from half leather with white inserts to fully heated leather with S-Line embossed from a 2008 car:
mg4848.jpg

As she stood at the end of last year (I ran out of things to do!):
mg4948.jpg

mg4957.jpg

mg4962.jpg

Over the winter I Lamin-X'd the front lights to protect them and the fogs, I have recently fitted Forge Boost pipes as mine were leaking badly and sprayed the front grille matt black, I wanted to spray it over getting the optics grille as I wanted it to match the wheels:
img0652cp.jpg

That's it for now I will update if anything changes, your comments and opinions are more than welcome good or bad! I'm now looking at keeping the car for a while as I love it, its currently on 79k and going strong. I'm considering fitting Bi-Xenon's but not sure yet, is it worth the effort for full beam Xenon??

Good on you for reading this far too btw haha

Joe

Last edited:
looks lovely mate! similar plans to mine ie s-line front end, 09 rear lights!

couple of questions for you - whats included in the non smoking pack? do you have pics? also what is ambient lighting?

Lovely looking car mate, massive improvement start to finish, must have cost a fortune! Did you change the bonnet with the facelift? You must have done, but you don't mention it

looks lovely mate! similar plans to mine ie s-line front end, 09 rear lights!

couple of questions for you - whats included in the non smoking pack? do you have pics? also what is ambient lighting?

Non-smoking pack is the same as it is now, no ash tray, a cubby hole instead and no cigarette lighter, instead just a 12v power outlet. Bit of a silly pack really haha

Joe

Lovely looking car mate, massive improvement start to finish, must have cost a fortune! Did you change the bonnet with the facelift? You must have done, but you don't mention it

Cheers mate, it did cost quite a lot! Student loan is helpful haha Yes I did change the bonnet with the facelift.

Joe

Good work mate!

Didnt used to play Counter Strike on the PC did you? :laugh: used to have a guy in my clan with the exact same username haha.

haha yes mate I did, small world!

Lmfao as if! I was the clan leader, you may remember me... Calibar.

Had three norwegians in as well, Tor, Havard and Vegard..

Think Ive got you on MSN still lmao.

How difficult was the DSG S3 handle change? I thought it was pretty difficult?

Car is looking nice mate.
I really need to sort some MY09/MY11 rear lights for mine

Off topic but how's the MK1 coming along?

Good thread Joe and a big transformation. Car looks miles better:)
I was wondering when you were going to do a thread lol.

Massive difference there mate, car looks a millions times better now! :yes:

One thing I noticed.... the back bumper, it's not an 09 's-line' bumper.
Still looking good though :thumbsup:

Car looks great!
Im hoping to do the same changes but cant afford it right now!:crying:

Looks like it's either a 2005-2008 (8P2) s-line bumper... or an S3 bumper. It's not an 09 standard/s-line bumper that's for sure.

The lower spoiler/diffuser is definitely an 05-08 s-line though.

I reckon the whole thing is 05-08 s-line rear.

My head hurts.

What a massive transformation, hat's off to you Buddy! Love to see threads like this when lots of well thought out mods come together so beautifully. Car looks tremendous, top modding! :)

Paula x

How difficult was the DSG S3 handle change? I thought it was pretty difficult?

Not too hard, just need to be brave enough to heat up the plastic shifter linkage in the car and twist it to the correct angle. I used a hot air attachment on a gas soldering iron. Takes all of 5 minutes after that.

Car is looking nice mate.
I really need to sort some MY09/MY11 rear lights for mine

Off topic but how's the MK1 coming along?

Good cheers mate, got it on a spit now, actually I need to update that thread lol I intend to get it in first coat of primer by next week.

Good thread Joe and a big transformation. Car looks miles better:)
I was wondering when you were going to do a thread lol.

haha I know it has been too long. Cheers! :salute:

Massive difference there mate, car looks a millions times better now! :yes:

One thing I noticed.... the back bumper, it's not an 09 's-line' bumper.
Still looking good though :thumbsup:

Oh thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realise there was a difference. I know the diffuser is off an 8P2 S-Line but I did that on purpose as I'm not a fan of the S3 one.

Car looks great!
Im hoping to do the same changes but cant afford it right now!:crying:

If you spend a while finding the parts the money isn't too bad, especially if you do all the work yourself. Thanks! :thumbsup:

What a massive transformation, hat's off to you Buddy! Love to see threads like this when lots of well thought out mods come together so beautifully. Car looks tremendous, top modding! :)

Paula x

Thanks Paula! :happy:

:laugh:

I agree, the lower spoiler is definitely an 8P2 sline.

haha okay, the first post will be updated! Thanks for pointing that out though everyone!

Joe

Oh thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realise there was a difference. I know the diffuser is off an 8P2 S-Line but I did that on purpose as I'm not a fan of the S3 one.

Yeah I'm with you on that one mate. The S3 diffuser just looks odd, unless S3 skirts are fitted as well. And then it looks :wub:

Quick update, here is a shot of my current interior with full S-Line embossed heated leathers as I said in the first post:

img1746ry.jpg

And a shot of the car after a clean in a woods near me:

img1786zp.jpg

The car has just ticked over 103k miles and despite cylinder 4's injector failing recently and needing replacement, it's still going strong. Not bad for 56k miles worth of trouble free motoring! I am going to be fitting a bigger turbo soon as my current one is getting louder, it whistles 99% of the time!

I am looking at the Darkside Developments big turbo kit, alongside a new LUK flywheel, solid boost pipes and S3 intercooler, but only if I can afford it! Otherwise I will be going with a Turbo Technics hybrid. I'm not sure what to do at the moment for reliability as I use the car daily and I have a Golf Mk1 with a 1.8T under the bonnet as a toy, but I would like more power everyday!

Watch this space...

Car has now been sold! :sorry:

But on the bright side, I take delivery of my brand new 8V 2.0 TDi S-Line 3 door with Heated Seats, Sat Nav and Audi sound system in Missano Red next week! :p

Was sad to see it go, but it had hit 108k miles and I fancied a change, all be it a small one lol