Xenon retro-fit help...

Scotty_J

Reaction score
Is it as simple as getting some genuine xenon headlamps for a 57 plate A3 S Line 3dr and plugging them straight in to replace the original headlamps?? Or is there quite a bit more to it...(i imagine so)

Also, is it possible to get DRL working as well with the xenons or not...?

Any help greatly appreciated

If you want single xenon then it pretty much is a plug and play job with some coding required. You will also need the to add auto leveling and headlight washers to be totally legal n all :rulez: lmao!

For bi-xenon it's a different ball game, new modules etc do a search on google but type audi-sport and 8P as I find the search on the site a bit pants tbh, get better results using google with tags 'audi-sport' 'xenon retrofit' '8p'.

I have a set of single xenon's that I maybe putting up for sale in a few weeks, depending on a few things so watch this space :eyebrows:

Thanks for that mate, yep i'll watch this space, only after single xenon if its simple!

As above the single xenon should be a straight swap wiring-wise with 10-pin plugs on both.

The bi-xenon uses a 14-pin connector, you can get the "kufatec" looms which convert your 10-pin car loom to a 14-pin plug. However there are 4 extra wires to connect, two are for the bi-xenon solenoid which got directly on the module in he car (IF you have the correct one, most mid-level/higher models seem to but check first). There's also another two wires for the DRLs, again on to the module directly.

I've got bi-xenons on mine but I've done a custom wiring (using Kufatec looms as a base); the main beam wiring is already there so I have used that to trigger the high beam solenoids instead. I also don't run DRLs but have fitted a pair of H7 high beam bulbs also. My main beam "flash" without headlights is the "normal" inner halogen lamps, but with the headlights on, the xenon goes hi as well as the inner lamps coming on.

But as said, much easier to fit the earlier single xenons!! But on a 57 SLine you probably have the right module to control the bi-xenons and DRLs...plus the bi-xenon units looks a little nicer IMO.

Last edited:
If you are going to do this, please get the levelling and washers as well. Being illegal without them is one thing (perhaps not a major concern to some people), but they are dangerous to other road users if not cleaned and level as they have a similar effect to main beam lights.

Sorry to be boring, but having been on the receiving end of these I know how bad they can be if not fitted and used properly.

Cheers for that post, didn't realize later models had the correct modules, and a 'hack' could be achieved to get everything to work. I agree about the bi-xenon the unit looks a lot better, generally more expensive :eyebrows: I am quite fond of the DRL's, when the regular bulb is changed with a high powered LED they look great.

To get the DRLs and bixenon working as they should you need to wire it into the module (Central Electronics "09" I believe). I'm not keen on DRLs so changed them for a high beam bulb which work in the traditional way.

With regards to the levelling, I'm not convinced it's 100% essentially other than to comply with the regulations; they are only necessary if the car is loaded, and the "law" means that because they are "high-output" HID Xenons that they must be levelled; a normal car with halogen lamps without self-levelling would still be blinding but not as "bad". With today's self-levelling tech if the law regarding halogen bulbs were re-written then I'm sure they would need to be self-levelled to, but they would never be retrospective, so they don't bother. Any new piece of tech will have all sorts of regulations and laws. In a few years tyres will need to be a certain db and I bet all new cars will have to be fitted with these otherwise deemed "illegal".

I'm not convinced they can work quickly enough for "bumps". I've no problems with mine set at a decent level (acutally a little lower than the halogen beam). Besides, most xenons blind occassionally on bumpers on FACTORY fitments or when oncoming traffic is on hill brows, hits a bump (yes), goes over a "yump" and you get the impression they just flashed you, or at angles that you catch the beam. Remember when the Audi TT was laucnhed in 99, it was one of the first cars to be commonly fitted with HIDs and many people were complaining of the "retina burning" lights, or did Audi not fit self-levelling on those? (yes they did of course! :D).

Last edited:
To get the DRLs and bixenon working as they should you need to wire it into the module (Central Electronics "09" I believe). I'm not keen on DRLs so changed them for a high beam bulb which work in the traditional way.

With regards to the levelling, I'm not convinced it's 100% essentially other than to comply with the regulations; they are only necessary if the car is loaded, and the "law" means that because they are "high-output" HID Xenons that they must be levelled; a normal car with halogen lamps without self-levelling would still be blinding but not as "bad". With today's self-levelling tech if the law regarding halogen bulbs were re-written then I'm sure they would need to be self-levelled to, but they would never be retrospective, so they don't bother. Any new piece of tech will have all sorts of regulations and laws. In a few years tyres will need to be a certain db and I bet all new cars will have to be fitted with these otherwise deemed "illegal".

I'm not convinced they can work quickly enough for "bumps". I've no problems with mine set at a decent level (acutally a little lower than the halogen beam). Besides, most xenons blind occassionally on bumpers on FACTORY fitments or when oncoming traffic is on hill brows, hits a bump (yes), goes over a "yump" and you get the impression they just flashed you, or at angles that you catch the beam. Remember when the Audi TT was laucnhed in 99, it was one of the first cars to be commonly fitted with HIDs and many people were complaining of the "retina burning" lights, or did Audi not fit self-levelling on those? (yes they did of course! :D).

I agree, its a very marginal thing along with the washers (that said the headlight washers are handy at this time of year when not frozen). Im doing mine properly so not to fall foul in few years time as VOSA are planning to make it part of the test. I OEM xenon headlights on my old A3 without leveling etc & usually kept them on the lowest setting & they were still a lot better than halogen.

What bulb type is required for the single xenon?

Cheers

How do you go about swapping the headlights themselves (Halogen to Xenon)? Do you have to take the front bumper off or can you access them and remove without?

Will a pair of 2007 S3 Xenons fit directly into a 2004 8P A3 (with 2007 facelift front bumper & bonnet) or are they different shape?

Last edited:
Same shape so they will fit straight in, but they are probably Bi-Xenon hence you will need to do further work (coding, wiring, change module) to get them working... Did you get them off ebay? If so was a bargain!

RS have you still got your Xenons for sale?

Could someone post up a pic of the Bi Xenon lamps and also the Single Xenon lamps?

Finally, sorry to be simple here, but what is the difference between Xenon and Bi Xenon?

Regards

I'm gonna keep em now mate, actually only have drivers side at the mo, but other one will be bought new if I don't come across one soon. I Was going to try bi-xenon but too much arsing about as car will be going soon, hence the talk of selling these.

I may have some bixenons for sale soon.

How do you go about swapping the headlights themselves (Halogen to Xenon)? Do you have to take the front bumper off or can you access them and remove without?

Will a pair of 2007 S3 Xenons fit directly into a 2004 8P A3 (with 2007 facelift front bumper & bonnet) or are they different shape?

Got to take the bumper off unfortunately but it's "fairly" straightforward.

Unscrew about 7 screws underneather bumper
Unscrew the big 3 screws on the slam panel
Unscrew about 3 or 4 screws on each wheel arch liner, and bend it back, unclip the black plastic clip with the centre pin (most awkward bit IMO!)
Slacken off 2 screws in this area that hold the side brackets
Unscrew a 10mm bolt either side that holds each corner on.

Bumper will then pull out from the wings and pull forward.

Bi-Xenon have full round projectors with the inner lamps cut off a bit. The earlier single xenons have a larger inner lamp that is full round, with the projector "cut" into a little by the inner lamp.

Bi-Xenon (55-08)
1x_Original_Xenon_Bixenon_Headlight_Right_Complete.jpg

Single Xenon (03-05)
2x_Original_Xenon_Bixenon_Headlight_Complete_Audi.jpg

Oright how much do you rekon NHN for the Bi Xenons if you sell?

NHN you don't have a ballast and ignitor for a single xenon do ya?

That's definitely an A4 headlight, the indicator gives it away, nearly bought one by mistake!

Hi Nige, I was gonna buy one from HIDS4u.co.uk (original Bosch AL) if I can't find a 2nd hand one, seems that a few different Bosch AL ballasts work if this site is to be believed... Is that correct?

Have a look at this product description for clarification:

AL Ballasts OEM for D2S and D2R for Xenon Mercedes HID VW Golf...

The ballast on the headlight I have is bosch part no. is 307 329 066/ VAG part no 4D0 907 476 B, on the HIDS4u site it says that these are different part no's for the same ballast, including the one they sell which is 307 329 115.

307 329 066
307 329 068
307 329 074
307 329 082
307 329 090
307 329 092

Yeap thats entirely possible as vag dont want you to think you can use the parts of another chassis that shares this same part, thus they can charge more say if its on an 8P & a B8 & hids4u are good site.

hello folks,

I've got a 2010 a3 with the standard headlights, I wish to change the original headlights to the xenon plus headlights (DRLs). I know this isn't an easy task as I popped into the local Audi showroom and asked about this conversion and they said they don't have a script procedure for this and it would require new control units, wiring & re-programming and could be a trial and error experiment.

HAS ANYONE EVER DOES THIS? OR KNOW OF ANY GARAGE THAT CAN DO THIS?.......surely its possible for a reasonable price.

Thanks for any help.​

Yes its totally possible, I've done it numerous times, but as for reasonable price, all down to what you reasonable mate as there are new requirements for mot & legal roadworthyness with these systems, PM me & we can discuss it further if you like :)