Armrest Cut Out Template

sub39h

Reaction score
hi guys

fitting an FCA

need the template so the centre console can be cut.

anyone have one they are willing to send me, or can scan onto here or something?

cheers in advance,

S.

You don't need a template really. I did it without one.

The hole you have to cut is much smaller than the surrond on the armrest. If you look at the armrest alloy support you will be able to mark out a rectangle big enough for the support to go through but much smaller than the rubber seal around it.

Drill each corner of the rectangle and use a Dremel to cut the plastic. It's dead easy really and it doesn't matter if the cut is a bit rough because you can't see it after it has been fitted.

Cheers :beerchug:

Here's something I posted a while back when I fitted an armrest:

You can't buy the template seperately, only as part of the armrest kit.... which also includes an armrest!

I fitted my armrest a few months ago and it was quite a scary time, cutting through my centre console. Although looking back it's quite simple. You have got quite a lot of room for error as the armrest trim covers almost all of the possible area you can cut the hole.

To help, once the armrest is fitted the measurements are as follows.....
From the top edge of the rear ashtray to the back of the armrest trim is about 7mm. And from the storage area to the front of the armrest trim is about 10mm.
From those measurements you should be able to work backwards to calculate where the hole needs to be cut.
The width of the hole is easy, just make it as wide as the hole for your storage area, maybe a little narrower.

As for actually cutting the hole, the plastic is pretty soft. I drew with a pencil the place that I was going to cut the hole, drilled a few small holes in each corner using an electric screwdriver with a drill fitting in it, then used the blade of a hacksaw to saw from corner to corner.

You will need a bolt and a nut to fix the armrest to the car. I used a 25mm M8 nut and bolt. 50mm was too long.
There is a hole in the bracket that the armrest fixes too but there is no thread in it. It's just a hexagonal hole.
I found inserting the bolt from the bottom and screwing the nut on the top side was easiest.

Here's a pic to show roughly where I cut the hole (red), and where the armrest trim sits (green).

armrestt.jpg

i'd thought i'd commented on this before but obviously not - thanks aythreee - that's very helpful! (i'm not exactly sure how i missed this?!)

nah not yet. on a list of things to do lol... unfortunately i've not had masses of time lately to devote to my car

As Mike says though, you dont need a template as tbh its fairly obvious where to cut once you offer it up & check positioning etc.

i know but i don't have the tools to do it, and i live in a flat and park in a Tesco car park lol. not exactly ideal conditions to work on my car! i was wanting to get my mechanic to do it, but he didn't wanna have a go until he was completely sure where to cut. apparently he's had a bad experience fitting an FCA in a Skoda before and he's not willing to chance it. i don't think he'll do it without a template even, so i might have to bite the bullet and give it a go myself.

If he has had a bad experience with a skoda & not willing to chance it, then find a new mechanic full stop, for a mechanic & tbh most common sensed people, its a fairly simple mod.

nah they're a good bunch of blokes. fitted my coilies no problem. i can understand apprehension at cutting a customer's centre console, tho i wish they'd look at how simple the job was first lol. i've emailed them with the measurements aythreee's provided let's see what they say.

As simple as the mod is in hindsight, when you're sitting there tool in hand staring at your beloved piece of plastic that you only have the one chance at hacking through in the correct place (if you cut a hole too big that is), it's a real pressure cooker moment.
Took me an hour to sike myself up!

Offering up the armrest doesn't help, as the bracket isn't straight and the fixing end of it is so much smaller than the hole you need to cut that it doesn't act as a good guide.

Use the measurements given and cut the hole about 10-15mm smaller than that.

The good thing is that the armrest trim covers most of the centre console that you can cut through, so you've got a fair bit of room for error.

There is another thing to bear in mind.

If you, or someone, does make a ****** of it you could always buy a new centre console with the hole already cut !

Not an ideal situation but you haven't by any means ruined the car !

I fitted mine by removing the rear ashtray, offering the armrest up and you can then see roughly where the armrest has to sit to bolt in correctly. You will also see how much smaller the hole needs to be when compared with the rubber surround to the armrest.

When you put the armrest leg through the hole you will find there is lots of room for adjustment to get it bolted correctly and the rubber surround is much bigger than the hole.

It's the first thing I did when I got my car and whilst being very careful to start with soon realised that there really was so much room for 'error' that it wasn't a problem.

I dont agree.

Trying to work out where to cut the hole by placing the end of the armrest's bracket against the centre console (which is 4-6 inches away from the actual fixing point) does nothing to help the situation, IMO.
The bracket isn't even straight. And it's thinner at the leading end and gets thicker as it moves towards the armrest end, so it doesn't help with the hole size either.
I tried to line it up in this way, but was just left guessing where the hole should go etc.
Don't get me wrong, it's do'able, either by luck or whatever, but I just wouldn't advise doing it this way.
If it was as easy as just "offering it up" they probably wouldn't bother provide a hole template, would they?

Anyway, sub's got the measurements he needs now, and with these the hole will definitely be in the correct place, no guesswork or estimations necessary. :thumbsup:

Guess 2 of us saying we offered it up to the console obviously means we must have used the "WHATEVER" method then Mike, lol

You have your way, others have there's, you need a template, we didnt, it doesnt get any simpler than that, we're just advising its a simple job that really doesnt need a template & if audi supply one, its only to cover there *****, not because the job requires it at all, just makes life easier for some I guess.

So I disagree with you, end of, sub can choose his preferred method.

You have your way, others have there's, you need a template, we didnt, it doesnt get any simpler than that, we're just advising its a simple job that really doesnt need a template

:lmfao: Errrmmm... have you been reading this thread?? Did I use a template?? Nope. Did I advise using a template??? Nope.
I gave measurements and advised not to offer up the armrest as a way of working out where to cut the hole, which is surely the easiest and most fool proof way.
You must remember Sir Nigel, not everyone is an mod messiah like you. Most of us are just mere mortals.

So I disagree with you, end of, sub can choose his preferred method.

I think he already has. :yes:

Aythreeee, whats the difference between the words "NEED" & "NEEDED"

Thats the problem with Aythreeee, he thinks every man loves him now after his gym experience.

Nothing like some festive cheer in this season of goodwill!

If it was me mate, i'd use a template, offer it up, get your mechanic to do it, and do it yourself too. Then everyone will be happy.

did mine without a template,quite easy..not rocket science lol

Oh come on, don't be a w*nker.

If thats your chat up line for the lads, then you should go down well

On your knees.

As for banking, chap, when you have a new child, then thats all you have got for a while lmfao.