WTF! Is up with my number plate lights?

~RS~

Reaction score
So I followed one of the original LED number plate bulb threads here that showed the 'resistor' method as seen in pic below

DSC02099.jpg

that went well for ages, until the resistor wiring became manky on the left bulb so I had to change it. Before buying another resistor I seen these in a thread here I think -

2xSMD 36mm Canbus Festoon High Power LED Bulb

As I didn't have to fiddle with resistors anymore if I bought these I went ahead and placed my order. They arrived, I stuck em in, and the right bulb wouldn't work. So I put the OEM festoons back in to see if new LED's were pants. Turns out the OEM bulb on the right didn't work either.

Hmmm, took out housings, gave contacts the once over to clean em up (the screws that go into these housing are utter ***** btw!) Still no joy... Then 2 nights back, I get the bulb out warning light on dash (hadn't come on with just 1 number plate light blown) check and both number plate lights are now out... Try OEM festoon in either side and get a big fat nothing!

Weirdest thing is the part of my facelift rear lights that are housed on the bootlid also do not want to come on! Definitely connected to the number plate lights being out, as I have 'auto on' lights. When the locks are opened the lights come on, and the part of the rear lights that are housed on the bootlid come on for about 5 - 7 secs then go out, prior to me opening the door. So I know they're fine, but they will not stay as the headlights and outer portion of rear lights housed in rear wings will.

****** annoying this... Can it be fuse related, or maybe something loose behind the interior bootlid cover? I wired the rear lights myself which was a pretty simple task and I am far from handy with the tools, lol :D so it may well be a bit of dodgy wiring as i have also had the front sidelights **** about a bit.

Any ideas guys? Which fuse is the one responsible for the number plate lights?

:unsure:

Last edited:
buy them with built in resistors. You can get them off ebay for 10 punds. I had the problems in my golf v 2008 and since i changed to the others they held for a year

I have since bought the ones you speak of cheers.

I found that I got the same problem when I upgraded to festoons too.
I had to fiddle with the bulbs and make sure that they have to go in a certain way round. Just try different combinations of + and -.
Hope this works