How many mpg on 2.0tdi 170bhp

ducks1978

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering how your economy is as I have one og these cars and thought the economy was gonna be better.

I read somewhere that you should get 700miles of a full tank, is that possible?

I got roughly 480 and that was mostly motorway driving and i got between 140 - 180 of 20quid.

Dont know if its a problem or is the best I'll get

Filled mine up earlier this week, just about to hit the red line on the fuel guage and got 460 so far.

Mostly motorway driving too.

Thats coolio bud dunno where this 700 mile comes from, must be the 1.6 engine

What are you guys doing to get these figures???

Nothing special. I do a small bit of town driving then everything else is motorway/dual carriageway or A & B roads. Thats even with a bit of thrashing thrown in for good measure! :) Its a diesel so doesn't take any special techniques to get good MPG out of it!

My last fill up was 595miles 95% city driving. My engine is a peach economy wise but i would trade some of that for POWERR

Mine was a 140bhp before the remap and i was getting 690-700miles from a full tank. After remap is even better, 85% motorway milage

im a good driver and these figures are well good, i will see what i get over the next few fills

700 miles!? Not a chance! :)

95% of my driving is urban and, according to the DIS, I've averaged 33mpg over the last 1700 miles. The economy is significantly worse than the 140TDI I had previously.

Out of interest, can those posting their figures for the 170TDI please say what year their car is as there are two different engines here - the original PD unit coded BMN and the newer common rail one coded CBBB - be interested whether the new one is better as I'll be getting a new one soon. Mine's the original engine on a 56 plate.

700 miles my ****! well, not in mine anyway. Got a 170tdi quattro, 57 , 08 with 29,000 miles. I did 300 miles on the A1 last month travelling at 50-70 with air con off and got 45 mpg. My old petrol vectra would do that.

I did a test a while back on a trip from Brum to London, so 90% motorway.

Steady 70mph on the way down = 50mpg
Average 90mph on way back = 40mpg

700 miles my ****! well, not in mine anyway. Got a 170tdi quattro, 57 , 08 with 29,000 miles. I did 300 miles on the A1 last month travelling at 50-70 with air con off and got 45 mpg. My old petrol vectra would do that.

I would expect better than 45mpg at those speeds, lets not forget though Quattro makes a big difference to your MPG. Having sold my S3 I decided to give diesel a try, bought a BMW 123D had it remapped, 262bhp according to the dyno, I am averaging 44mpg with mixed driving, at the speeds you mention it would do in excess of 50mpg.

Mark

The BMW diesel engines are quite a bit more efficient than the equivalent Audi's.

Mines a 140 but a mate has a 170 and he struggles to get 35mpg round town

Dont believe the DIS either, it lies when it tells you how many miles in the tank!

Within around 400 miles i got:

47.9 doing between 70-80

Around town ive never hit 39 mpg or lower but always around 40-42 mpg and i dont tickle it either

My car is a 170 diesel manual quattro but remapped to 205bhp

No dought about it, quattro does make a difference. I just thought the way i drive(like an old fart, as my son says)it would of done more. I don't labour the engine and i keep the revs pretty low. Mind you, it got a ****** good tonking today(god i love that torque).
I would expect better than 45mpg at those speeds, lets not forget though Quattro makes a big difference to your MPG. Having sold my S3 I decided to give diesel a try, bought a BMW 123D had it remapped, 262bhp according to the dyno, I am averaging 44mpg with mixed driving, at the speeds you mention it would do in excess of 50mpg.

Mark

My A3 is a 2.0TDI-140 common-rail diesel. It has been remapped to give around 170. On my recent holiday to Austria I did a total of 2415 miles of which 600 miles were spent actually driving around in Austria. The rest was the Autoroute across France and the Autobahn across Germany. Speed on the Autoroute was mostly around 90mph and on the Autobahn mostly around 100-110mph but with some burst when traffic allowed up to 120-130mph. The overall mpg for the whole trip was 49mpg.

nice one!
My A3 is a 2.0TDI-140 common-rail diesel. It has been remapped to give around 170. On my recent holiday to Austria I did a total of 2415 miles of which 600 miles were spent actually driving around in Austria. The rest was the Autoroute across France and the Autobahn across Germany. Speed on the Autoroute was mostly around 90mph and on the Autobahn mostly around 100-110mph but with some burst when traffic allowed up to 120-130mph. The overall mpg for the whole trip was 49mpg.

jeez, you're all making me wish i got a 2.0 TDI now. i get 40mpg out of my 2.0T if i'm lucky and driving very carefully :crying:

You sure it's a CR engine? ISTR you were getting your car around the same time I got mine, back in '06, or have you had another since then?

his sig says he's got an 8P3 so i'd guess so :p

You sure it's a CR engine? ISTR you were getting your car around the same time I got mine, back in '06, or have you had another since then?

Yes I bought my 2007 model (170PD) in March 2007 but changed to a 2009 model (140CR) in April 2009. I had remapped to 170 in October 2009.

Me too mate, did about a 100 in the city and then the rest was a trip to manchester and bolton and back to newcastle and managed to get just over 500. Strugled to keep it below 70mph cos the car drives so well 80 plus. Apart from the 50 zones it was a quick drive with a few fast bursts. I think u wuld have to be driving downhill to get 700 lol

Did 504 miles to a tank this weekend, with an '07 PD170 engine with 30k on the clock

did 550 on my first tank one journey from the midlands to Tenby then driving round all weekend then back mines a 170pd quattro

i do really get the sort of milage i stated before out of my 140 (2006 A4, 2.0tdi), my daily journey takes me from Essex to Milton keynes in the morning and back in the afternoon (160miles per day), i reset the mile clock and done 3 three tanks and i had covered 2068 miles ( thats an average of 689 miles per tank ) and that was before i had it remapped. Now it has been mapped to 179bhp and i'm doing the same test, 3 full tanks over the same journey, and so far its beatly the before map figure for miles.

I think if I did total motorway driving at 70mph without going crazy I think it will return 600, just could not see it doing 700 miles at all unless I was always going downhill

I got the Pd engine but remapped so bout 175BHP and on the way to and from london today sensible driving sticking to speed limits i averaged 54mpg by the time i got home.

Just finished a full tank of Shell V-Power in my '07 DSG (with cruise) - a varied diet of 5 mile short trips to Birmingham International first thing in the morning - a couple of 30 mile trips on the Motorway at Peak time (M42 speed restrictions) averaging about 52mpg and a long distance return at the weekend to Cambridge and back (58mpg). All in all I got 594.5 miles out of the tank and in return have a receipt for 54.88 litres costing £68.