Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gtiller

Thread: Road Noise on 16" Wheels

Reverse Gear

Status

Road Noise on 16" Wheels

Posted this in another forum but I though I would post here as this is very active.

So I road tested a new Golf VII today and was surprised at the amount of road noise it made at motorway speeds, albeit on 17" wheels.

As I have a preference for the 1.4 150 BHP engine, the only other option is to have this in a Audi A3 SE instead so I can run this on smaller wheels.

Just wanted some comments on those on 16" wheels what their opinion is on the amount of noise at 70 MPH or thereabouts.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    You could always order one of the Sound Systems as well ... and then the road noise will disappear

I have a 1.4 TFSI COD S-Line on order (but with SE suspension) and I didn't experience any problems with excessive road noise on 18" wheels during the test drives. Most of the negative comments seem to relate to the Continental tyres (fitted on the 18" wheels) which are apparently quite noisy.
    Collection 4 August: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

Neutral

Status
    I can't stress enough that the excessive road noise is down to the brand of tyre!

In my experience, I have personally found the Michelin Pilot Sport to be a much quieter tyre and always have these fitted when the original tyres get to the end of their life (I get at least 10,000 miles more out of them too, which helps justify the higher price)
    driver_tim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gtiller View Post
    I can't stress enough that the excessive road noise is down to the brand of tyre!
    I agree. I had Handkook Venus S1 Evo tyres on 17" wheels on my last A3 and was quite prepared to change depending on the tyres that came on my new A3. But is came on my second choice which was Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. Both of these tyres have proved to be very quite on 17" wheels and SE suspension and the grip is good especially with the quattro on the latest A3
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    My SE is really quiet and has Dunlop Sport Maxx fitted.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glospete View Post
    You could always order one of the Sound Systems as well ... and then the road noise will disappear

I have a 1.4 TFSI COD S-Line on order (but with SE suspension) and I didn't experience any problems with excessive road noise on 18" wheels during the test drives. Most of the negative comments seem to relate to the Continental tyres (fitted on the 18" wheels) which are apparently quite noisy.
    I have this exact vehicle with Continental tyres. I have the comfort pack (with acoustic glass) and B&O and can't say I'm bothered by tyre noise.
    A3 SB 1.4.tfsi S-line COD 150ps Glacier White, LED lights, comfort pack, heated seats, B&O and Tech pack with Audi connect. Previous: A4 2.0 Tdi S-Line convertible Phantom Black 2008-2014; A3 SB 2.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Phantom Black 2005-2008; TT 1.8 T Quattro Phantom Black 2002-2005.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gtiller View Post
    Yep, I agree as well. My car is somewhat on the noisy side, but previous discussions on this subject have tended to conclude it's the Conti Sport Contact tyres all cars with 18" wheels seem to come with.
    A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system and now SD Sat-Nav!

Quote Originally Posted by Redgrouse View Post
    I have this exact vehicle with Continental tyres. I have the comfort pack (with acoustic glass) and B&O and can't say I'm bothered by tyre noise.
    I never play the radio or other music when I'm driving so I think I would tend to notice the tyre noise more than most and I am quite happy with the noise (or lack of) from the Dunlop's on my 17" wheels.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Neutral

Status
    Here's my experience...

Test drove A3 S-Line 1.4 TSI on 18" Contis - noisy on rough surfaces
    Test drove Golf SE 1.4 TSI on 16" Continentals - noisier than above on rough surfaces
    Hired Golf SE 2.0 TDI on 16" on Hankook Ventus Prime....quiet
    My A3 1.4 TSI Sport on SE suspension and 17" Pirelli Centurato - Noisy on rough surfaces
    My A3 1.4 TSI Sport on SE suspension and 16" Dunlop Sport Maxx - Slightly less noisy on rough surfaces

I've heard that Uniroyal Rainsport 3 are very good for comfort and low noise, but I don't have enough of a problem with the noise to justify changing tyres.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgrouse View Post
    Whew! Looks like a good combination - even though we can't choose the tyres we get. Is the acoustic glass just part of the comfort pack as I don't recall seeing it on my order?
    Collection 4 August: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

Neutral

Status
    Whew! Looks like a good combination - even though we can't choose the tyres we get. Is the acoustic glass just part of the comfort pack as I don't recall seeing it on my order?
    Yes it's part of the comfort pack.
    A3 SB 1.4.tfsi S-line COD 150ps Glacier White, LED lights, comfort pack, heated seats, B&O and Tech pack with Audi connect. Previous: A4 2.0 Tdi S-Line convertible Phantom Black 2008-2014; A3 SB 2.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Phantom Black 2005-2008; TT 1.8 T Quattro Phantom Black 2002-2005.

Neutral

Status
    I regularly travel the A19 between York and Teesside. There are small parts of the road which have the original 1970's red concrete surface between modern tarmac sections. The sound difference between the road surfaces is very significant and fortunately the concrete is slowly and gradually being replaced as the sound is horrendous.

5th Gear

Status
    Part of Comfort Pack and PU8 Option.

More info:
    Acoustic windscreen, or not?

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    Part of Comfort Pack and PU8 Option.

More info:
    Acoustic windscreen, or not?
    Thanks - I have PU8 so presumably acoustic windscreen.