AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thesmileyone

Thread: Almost got killed: brakes and air condition not working when on cruise control

Reverse Gear

Status

Exclamation Almost got killed: brakes and air condition not working when on cruise control

Hi everyone,

I have a strange, and dangerous problem with my Audi A3 Sportback, 8V, 1.4 TFSI (March 2013) and I was unable to find any other similar problem on the forum or the internet.

Very often, when I activate a cruise control (faster then 130 Km/h), after some period of time, like 1-2 minutes, brakes just stop working as brake pedal starts to be hard/stiff as a rock. At the same time, air condition stops working (air is not cold anymore - just blows the air from the outside). Not sure what is a connection between these two problems...

These are the ways how to bring the brakes and air condition back to normal when this happens:
    - If I deaccelerate below ~130 Km/h by decreasing the cruise control speed, brake pedal and air condition are back to normal.
    - If I hit the brake pedal like a maniac, after ~2 seconds, brakes starts to be soft again, brakes start to work and air condition starts to blow cold air
    - If I deactivate the cruise control with the cancel button, brakes starts to be soft again, brakes start to work and air condition starts to blow cold air

I don't need to say that I'm not using the cruise control anymore, as this is a very dangerous problem... I almost crushed with a truck on the highway when this happened for the first time as truck entered my lane and I couldnt brake. I was not expecting this kind of problem with a car, especially with an Audi.

Did anyone hear of a similar problem? My car was checked by the official Audi service, but no error codes where found, and they don't know why is this happening yet.

Thanks,
    Damir

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Have they kept the car in the meantime?
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

Reverse Gear

Status
    Nope... We agreed that we'll go and test it together on the highway in 10 days when some guy from the service comes back to work. They need to reproduce the issue first, and then ask the factory about the problem...

6th Gear

Status
    10 days? So they've given you back a dangerous car and said to keep using it for 10 days? Unbelievable!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    It's probably my mistake as I haven't insisted for them to keep it... The car behaves ok when it's not on cruise control... but, you're right, that doesn't mean that it won't stop working without cruise control as well

5th Gear

Status
    Yer not sure if I'd have wanted to drive the car away in that state, sounds really bad.

4th Gear

Status
    Sadly things like this only get worse, I do hope that's not the case with your car. Please be careful.
    Steeve

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    Sadly things like this only get worse, I do hope that's not the case with your car. Please be careful.
    Yeah, I don't have much luck with electronic devices anyway (computer freezes, mobile phone has bugs, my car also...) I hope that they will be able to find the problem... if not, my only chance is to ask for a new car but they will say big NO to that proposal.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dpalinic View Post
    Yeah, I don't have much luck with electronic devices anyway (computer freezes, mobile phone has bugs, my car also...) I hope that they will be able to find the problem... if not, my only chance is to ask for a new car but they will say big NO to that proposal.
    Pretty sure EU law would let you reject the car after giving them a certain number of tries to fix it... or is that just in the UK? I heard the EU were doing something similar.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    This government is introducing a new UK Consumer Rights Act (currently a Bill, making its way through Parliament) will:

Let people who place an order for their car online have a 14 day cooling off period
    Get a refund within 14 days of cancellation
    Allow owners to reject a car within 30 days should it suffer a fault
    Allow owners to reject a car within 6 months after ONE attempt at a failed repair

The Act will be law later this year, once it has passed through Parliament (both Houses), and Royal Ascent.

The Consumer Rights Bill | Improving Consumer Law

Consumer Rights Bill 2013-14 to 2014-15 — UK Parliament

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Reverse Gear

Status
    Whatever this is you have to get them to reproduce it, and hopefully when it is reproduced nothing else bad will happen.

The air con thing sounds like something weird is happening over the canbus or something, and that is NOT good.

1st Gear

Status
    So can you reproduce that issue over again? So every time you set it at 130 km or over does the same thing happen.

If its at those speeds, we would never be able to test that here in Australia, as 110km/hr is normally the fastest speed you can do here apart from some stretch of roads in the desert.
    On order S3 Sedan - S-Tronic, Sepang Blue, Performance Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Folding mirrors, Privacy glass and Tinted windows.

Status
    I am surprised at them giving you the car back but I suppose as long as you stay south of 130 kmh (81mph) you are safe...ish.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm surprised they haven't offered to test it on a track, are they expecting you to reproduce this fault on the public highways?

6th Gear

Status
    From what the OP is describing it does sound similar to a stopped engine, although usually the steering goes very stiff as well. EPAS systems might be different though..
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

5th Gear

Status
    The cruise control on the 8V actually takes over the brake control as well as the throttle. This is to help maintain speed whilst going down a hill as it lightly applies the brakes.

It sounds like this capture / release of the brake control isn't being handled correctly by the Cruise Control system. When it's operating normally you'll find that the brakes are very sensitive when going downhill on CC, as they have already been pre-applied to reduce speed. If anything this makes braking too easy, as the force required to brake is a lot less than you're expecting.

The fact that you're also experiencing issues with other systems (Air Con) does suggest this is an electrical / CANBUS fault.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Longy View Post
    So can you reproduce that issue over again? So every time you set it at 130 km or over does the same thing happen.

If its at those speeds, we would never be able to test that here in Australia, as 110km/hr is normally the fastest speed you can do here apart from some stretch of roads in the desert.
    Yes, usually I can reproduce the issue without a problem, but sometimes it just work as expected. For example, I went to a highway few days ago to test this, and for 60 kilometers everything worked just fine. When i was driving back, after few hours, I could reproduce it every single time. Really strange...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bobinder View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't offered to test it on a track, are they expecting you to reproduce this fault on the public highways?
    Unfortunatelly, there is no track near my city... The highway is the only way to reproduce it without taking a car somewhere where the track is (I don't even know where the good one is near Split, Croatia), but we need to be very very careful while doing that.

1st Gear

Status
    Allow owners to reject a car within 6 months after ONE attempt at a failed repair
    I can see that getting abused!
    veeeight likes this.
    2008 A3 1.8t FSI Sportback S-Line - Avus Silver - Full spec.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    From what the OP is describing it does sound similar to a stopped engine, although usually the steering goes very stiff as well. EPAS systems might be different though..
    All other things besides brakes and air condition are working as usual... Steering wheel stiffnes is normal when that happen, although while driving at that speed, I guess that there will be no difference in the stiffnes between a car having and not havnig a hydraulic steering wheel so I'm not sure if I can test that easily. Any suggestion how to inspect that?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    The cruise control on the 8V actually takes over the brake control as well as the throttle. This is to help maintain speed whilst going down a hill as it lightly applies the brakes.

It sounds like this capture / release of the brake control isn't being handled correctly by the Cruise Control system. When it's operating normally you'll find that the brakes are very sensitive when going downhill on CC, as they have already been pre-applied to reduce speed. If anything this makes braking too easy, as the force required to brake is a lot less than you're expecting.

The fact that you're also experiencing issues with other systems (Air Con) does suggest this is an electrical / CANBUS fault.
    I have noticed that when car is going uphill, this fault is much easier to reproduce... Not sure if that is connected with what you explained above, but it could be. If the CANBUS is a problem, is that a very hard/complicated thing for a dealer to replace?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dpalinic View Post
    All other things besides brakes and air condition are working as usual... Steering wheel stiffnes is normal when that happen, although while driving at that speed, I guess that there will be no difference in the stiffnes between a car having and not havnig a hydraulic steering wheel so I'm not sure if I can test that easily. Any suggestion how to inspect that?
    As I understand it the 8v has electrically assisted steering and doesn't possess any hydraulic assistance.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    As I understand it the 8v has electrically assisted steering and doesn't possess any hydraulic assistance.
    True
    Steeve