Bird poo

steviedr

Reaction score
After a great day cleaning yesterday, the car was in the works car park today.
24C today and I came out to see a massive bird poo on the bonnet.
Came home, removed the poo with the jet wash, gave the area a wash with my lambs wool mit, then dried. To my horror the sheen has gone. No scratches but it's lost the buffed look (when you look at a certain angle). So I used autoglym products to remove the wax, then clayed the area, then waxed and buffed and it's still there. You can feel the difference in the paint ever so slightly. Can bird poo at most 7 hrs old really damage the paint or do I just need to get an electric buffer.
Hopefully you can see attached to see the bird poo mark (centre of picture, the white sections are cloud reflections, you can see dull bird poo in middle, pic 3 is just to show it can't be seen from other angles). As I say it's not been scratched just left the original footprint.
I do have scratch remover, but don't want to use it yet. Might call into Audi to see what they say. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405965306985297ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405965320473272ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405965332690401
Not happy! Any suggestions guys?

Last edited:
If you're using Autoglym then lots of Super Resin Polish and elbow grease should do it, maybe a clay bar? 7 hours shouldn't do huge amounts of damage. Probably just didn't help with the hot sun

Reactions: steviedr
Thanks, yeah I was thinking the hot sun added to the issue
I actually used the clay, I didn't use the super resin polish, went straight to wax, so I'll maybe give and give that a shot.
I think a slight case of panic maybe got the better if me :)

Last edited:
Defo go straight in with the polish, wax won't do anything. The polish will break down the contamination. Once its gone, eax over the area to protect it :o.k:

After some serous polishing I've got 90% out.
Can only now see it by hunting at different angles, still there though, maybe need an electric buffer.
Happier than a few hours ago, but disappointed it ate through the wax, only clayed/waxed less 3 months ago.

I've never seen so many cars covered in bird s**t as as I have done lately. Had mine professionally detailed this weekend, came out this morning to find huge bird shat on the windscreen (Ill take that over paintwork). The birds sit on the end of our house then fly off and **** themselves. All the stuff Lidl & Aldi sell and I've never seen a laser guided pigeon gun....

Reactions: jimmydougle, illingworth22, MA3RC and 4 others
After some serous polishing I've got 90% out.
Can only now see it by hunting at different angles, still there though, maybe need an electric buffer.
Happier than a few hours ago, but disappointed it ate through the wax, only clayed/waxed less 3 months ago.

You could also try some heavier polish such as Meguiars Ultimate Compound, a lot cheaper than a DA polishing machine if you don't already own one

Classic issue this if no decent sealant or wax used. Autoglym IMHO just isn't up to the job and I'm not surprised it has etched.

Would suggest using Meguars scratch X to get this out with a nice bit of elbow grease before resorting to a DA polisher. Perfect for bird doo blemishes.

Once sorted invest in a high quality sealant on the finish and then would suggest getting a couple of coats of decent wax on. Something like Collinite 476S wax for example - after doing this you will get a good layer of protection on and it will greatly assist with preventing etching.

Hope that helps. :salute:

Reactions: steviedr and warren_S5
This is what happened. Car was spotless this morning and we had a decent day, +24C.
Can't have been on that long but was long enough to mark as the first link describes.
I invested in Autoglym products as I thought they would be decent.
I used the high definition body cleanser to remove other waxes, then the detailing kit and was surprised how dirty the clay was.
Then used the cleanser again and then the high definition wax. Must have spent 7 hrs all in including the initial clean.
Car looked gorgeous afterward.
Since then it's just been a wash as dry.
I do have Farecla 7164 G3 Professional Scratch Remover Liquid, I don't know if it would help?

Autoglym are good products. They're often overlooked because they're sold in halfords. The general consensus on detailing world is that super resin polish is pound for pound the best polish on the market.

The mad thing is I used the super resin polish tonight on a small paint chip (now filled that had a slight dull patch from compound) an it has come up a treat with not much effort.
The big bird poo is almost gone but it took me 1/2 stone in sweat and it's still winking at me. To top it all, I didn't park in my usual space and had a funny feeling about bird crap but laughed it off.
Temp is the issue, previous poos came off very easy and left no trace. First time I've ever had this issue.

That's me back to normality, completely gone now.
So for next time if it doesn't remove easily I'll use the high def cleanser, then the farecla 7164 G3 scratch remover, the polish and then the high def wax.
I'll look into the other sealants/waxes mentioned.
Thanks for your pointers guys, if there are any suggestions on sealants, they would be welcome.

Last edited:
+1 for a good sealant.

Been using Dodo Juice's red mist for a while now and those strafing runs from the pigeons just wipe right off, after a soak under a damp microfibre, and you would never know they were there afterwards.

My offices are just a short distance from the sea, so don't talk to me about bird ****! Every other day I have to clean it off. We even have a cleaning kit in our reception at work for visitors cars that get bombed by the seagulls. I keep a little cleaning kit in the car and whilst I have considered a cover for the car, the **** taking I'd get about it stopped me going that one step further. I daren't bring our Prosche into work for fear of the hood getting soiled by the ******* birds. You have to remove it pretty quickly or it'll stain the paint work, especially when it is so warm right now. It's not so bad when it's cooler or in winter, but in my experience, sooner rather than later is the best policy. One colleague of mine left his 5 series at work whilst he was working in Dubai and when he came back in four days time it was caked in bird ****. He ended up having to get the roof and bonnet re-sprayed! The company paid for it mind. If you don't clean it off quickly, that's what can happen. I just use a soft sponge and water, with a few drops of turtle wax shampoo in it. Then a couple of drops of resin polish to buff it back up. Strangely, there are certain colour cars the seagulls prefer to bomb. Silver being one. I have no idea why, but at any one time there could be 100 plus cars in our car park and it'll be the silver ones that get hit, whilst other colour cars next to them escape unscathed. My car rarely gets much more than a light splat, whilst some people I work with have had the full carpet bomb treatment!

A bird crapped on my BMW roof and bonnet a few years back and it was only on for a couple of hours and it looked like the clear coat had been eaten away.... I swore that if I ever spotted Bird Poo on my car again I would rub it off immediately, even if it meant using my hands and spit!

Just noticed part of my detailing kit (clay) comes with the autoglym rapid detailer.
I had been using this solely to keep the clay moist and haven't used I since (3 months)
I take it this is the type of sealant you guys are talking about?
So after detailing and before next wax (2 months) use the detailer after each wash to protect the wax?
New to this, previous car got the non brush car wash treatment, but I want to keep this beauty tip top!

Siluremark, and there's me complaining about one poop, your workplace car park sounds like a nightmare. Nice touch with the cleaning kit in reception!

Meguiars Ultimate Compound did it in the end!
I thought u had removed it but came across it again at the weekend. After using above its all but gone

After reading here about Autoglym bird dropping wipes, I went to
Auto Zone to buy some. The guy at the counter said there is no such
thing. He wanted to sell me something else and I explained to him
I just wanted the wipes. Anyway I went on Amazon.com and ordered
some. These are really great. Thanks for the info. Not available in U.S.
I am glad I read this thread. :yes:

Reactions: veeeight
I had my car detailed at a cost of £200. Results were fantastic until a whole flock of seagulls decided to repaint the phantom black paint to ibis white! My mates were crying and so was I, but not in laughs...

I've just bought this for the wife to take to work

Reactions: Blackwhite
Said this on a similar thread. Best and safest way remove bird poo is....take a clean MF, dampen it and put it in the microwave for 46-60 seconds. Once is piping hot lay it over the bird poo for 20-30 sec. The bird poo will have softened and simply wipe off.
To stop bird poo leaving lime marking on your paintwork ensure you have several layers of wax on the car as protection.

Reactions: S32B
Said this on a similar thread. Best and safest way remove bird poo is....take a clean MF, dampen it and put it in the microwave for 46-60 seconds. Once is piping hot lay it over the bird poo for 20-30 sec. The bird poo will have softened and simply wipe off.
Saw this in your other thread/post and tried it out...works a treat ;)

Reactions: Scottyg
I was eavesdropping on 2 blokes in the pub the other day. At one point in the conversation the first said "What would you do if a bird crapped on your car?" The other replied "Well...I'd have to finish with her".

Reactions: Scottyg and Twizzler
Just to add my input same thing happened to my M235 i had, showed it to a local detailer and he sold me car pro mineral/waterspot remover. Problem fixed.