New to audi

Dannyj84

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just in the process of ordering my first audi. I have always had a mini in the past, but looking for something a little more practical and the countryman/paceman are awful!!! So far this is what I have.

audi a3 sportback 1.4tfsi with COD, s line.
misano red
cloth/leather seats
B&O sound
comfort pack
tech pack with high phone prep
roof rails.

is there anything I am missing that is a must have extra,

I'm 30, use the car for a 15 mile round trip to work and then just normal use.

Thanks

is there anything I am missing that is a must have extra

well..... going by what you will read on here, there's no right or wrong to toys and gadgets - they are nice to have - but why don't you see how much cash is in your pocket and YOU make that decision, simples! Enjoy your own purchase, not someone elses ideal.

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Enjoy the forum. :) x

There always seems to be something hidden in the extras that you don't order though and then realise you really could do with it :)

With hindsight, the only option I feel I should have taken was the Adaptive Cruise Control, rather than the standard one. It's another £350 on top of the Comfort package, but I would give it serious consideration for the crash avoidance facilities that come with it.

The folding door mirrors are good and if you find yourself on long journeys you might consider the electric lumbar support.

The comfort pack I've chosen has the adaptive cruise control :)

I don't think I've ever adjusted the lumbar support on my current car. My only long drives are if we go camping in Cornwall 6+ hours euurrgghh

:)

Welcome! You've got a good basic spec there, especially with the Tech Pack and B&O :)

Other options are really down to personal preference and requirements. For example many will say ACC is indespensible but if you rarely do longer journeys (as I do) then the money is probably better spent elsewhere. Likewise B&O is only worth it if you listen to music a lot and so on.

Speaking personally, the Tech Pack and B&O are the only two things that I'd consider totally indispensable but you've got those already :)

You may not have adjusted the lumbar support but it's already there, supporting your lumbar. :) Without the option, there is no lumbar support. The number of times I drove down the M1 with a rolled up sweatshirt stuck down the back of me in my Civic Type-R, it was one of the must-have options on the A3.

Are you sure you have spec'ed the ACC? You have to order it separately on top of the Comfort package, which only includes standard CC, according to the current price list.

You may not have adjusted the lumbar support but it's already there, supporting your lumbar. :) Without the option, there is no lumbar support. The number of times I drove down the M1 with a rolled up sweatshirt stuck down the back of me in my Civic Type-R, it was one of the must-have options on the A3.

Think it probably depends on each individual as to whether it's needed or not and a test drive is probably vital in determining this.

I had the lumbar on my first A3 but didn't spec it on any others and haven't missed it really. This includes spending 8-9 hours in the car in a day whilst driving to or from the Nurburgring and I've climbed out at the end without any back issues or feeling at all uncomfortable.

Thanks, yeah we both listen to a lot of music so are happy to pay for a decent sound system. Have ben ummin and arrin over the tech pack. As I can live without sat nav, but everyone seems to say its a must have, what makes it so great? I stream all my music over spotify so I'm hoping the quality is enough to make the most of the B&O system :)

Dan

Are you sure you have spec'ed the ACC? You have to order it separately on top of the Comfort package, which only includes standard CC, according to the current price list.

The comfort pack I have says....

Comfort pack including adaptive cruise control,acoustic parking system-rear, light and rain sensor pack, auto dimming rear view mirror

Personally I can't live without integrated nav. I've had Audi OEM nav in my cars for eight years now and couldn't go back to using a phone or Tomtom - I like having it "just there" whenever I need it. There's then the choice between the standard SD nav and the Tech Pack.

I think the basic Tech Pack (without Connect) is a bit steep for what it is. I have it on mine (Connect wasn't available when I ordered) and you are basically paying for the bigger, higher-res screen. Personally I think it's worth every penny but that's a very subjective choice and many won't agree.

The Tech Pack high adds all the online Connect stuff which I think adds a lot to the value of the Tech Pack for only a few hundred more. I've ordered this on my next car.

I think the non-Connect Tech Pack is left in no-mans land a little now. Compared to the SD nav at £500, they're asking you to fork out £1000 extra for basically a better screen (and a DVD player if that's of any interest). If you're doing that they you may as well shell out another £300 to get all the Connect stuff too. I can see the non-Connect Tech Pack disappearing in a year or so personally.

BTW, one thing you do get when speccing both the Tech Pack and B&O is the ability to play 5.1 DTS DVDs in full surround. Probably fairly pointless but it's awesome fun for showing it off :)

The comfort pack I have says....

Comfort pack including adaptive cruise control,acoustic parking system-rear, light and rain sensor pack, auto dimming rear view mirror

Yeah Audi are a bit weird with this. The brochure just lists a standard Comfort Pack to which you can then add ACC as a further option, yet if you go via the online configurator, then it lets you select "variations" of comfort pack, where you can say whether you want standard cruise or ACC. Your spec obviously follows this latter system.

Yeah I have got the tech pack with phone prep high.....do you know if you need an extra sim, to put directly into the car to get the benefit of the online connectivity? I don't think I will be watching DVDs in the car haha. So if I went without the tech pack all I would lose would be the sat nav, 10gb hdd and larger screen? I think I would also lose the touch pad for mmi control.

Danny

You do need a separate SIM for the car if you want to use the online functionality but these can be had for not much each month.

I've never used the build in HDD at all and the touchpad is a bit of a gimmick to be honest - it's far easier to just dictate to it using the voice control.

I never watch DVDs in the car either but give me a shout if you want a copy of the THX/DTS demo DVD I have and which I've done copies of for a few others on here :)