What did you part-x?

Jez-dtm

Reaction score
Just wondering what sort of cars people have traded in for there new a3/s3? I'll start! 2006 Audi a4 DTM quattro, I love it but it was time for a change!

Traded in S3 SB (8P) 63 plate, 1000 miles. Just had to have the new 8V. Took a hit but hey YOLO. Will keep this one for at least 5 years. Fantastic car!
This
DSC 0085
for that
View attachment 36508

Last edited:
1999 T reg Fiat Bravo. Automatic with gear changes that could give you whiplash and a cassette player with an old Warren G tape stuck in it so listened to a lot of Regulate ft. Nate Dog. Auto reverse still worked so I could listen to the remix on the other side if I fancied a change though:)

Twas a great little car and never let me down. Was worth so little by the time I'd run it in to the ground though, I had it scrapped and got the princely sum of £142 for the poor old girl and a refund of £12.50 from the DVLA. Cashback!

Reactions: RAPS3 and MA3RC
2010 BMW X5 30d. I miss the power and space but we needed a smaller car.

Not really a part exchange...I sold the X5 privately a few weeks before the A3 arrived.

....not think the S3 more agile, poised and practical? Up to date?

No.
Practical maybe, which was one of the reasons for the change, but the S5 with dynamic steering and the diff specced was a far better prospect to drive. I didn't even think the S5 was necessarily brilliant to drive either........
Cabin of the S5 much nicer place than the S3.
All round a better car, which it should be.

Reactions: RedDejavu and DAYTONA 500
Still waiting delivery, but traded in my GTI manual. Bluefin Stage 1 gave it the performance it should have had from the factory.
But after almost 5yrs the less than perfect seating position and a bad back, made it time to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 2012 Limited Edition Ford Fiesta S1600

For this :icon_thumright: :

Last edited:
ehuzu2av.jpg

2.0 TDI 170. Loved the car but was time for a change.

For this.

ypare8ad.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex_Wil
I'll be swapping my 2010 (60 plate) A5 3.0Tdi Sportback for the S3 Sportback on 18 Aug all being well.

P1010494

My Mk3 Focus Titanium X remapped 1.6 Ecoboost that I traded in for my A3 parked next to the Mk4 Mondeo that I traded in for the Focus in 2011. Came across my Mondeo in a supermarket car park and thought it quite neat to park up next to it...

S5 a better car.
Live and learn, should have had a longer test drive.

You're kidding? I had an S5 loaner last year for a week. Like driving a big boat with wheels. Wasn't impressed at all with it, interior aside.

We traded our 320D touring for the S3. Have a second car, which was a Cayman S and is now a Boxster GTS. Plan to swap the S3 to an RS3 next year at some point.

Reactions: MA3RC
^ Not at all, but the "ugly piece of plastic" was perhaps a little contentious.

^ Not at all, but the "ugly piece of plastic" was perhaps a little contentious.

Perhaps I should have prefaced it with IMO. I thought a Forum was where people expressed opinions - and yes sometimes those opinions are different to our own. That doesn't make me right or the other person right - they are opinions. I've not seen you or others holding back when you do or don't like something. You like the ZF gearbox but Pulp84 doesn't. Neither is right, just opinions. I didn't know what that piece of plastic was, hence my question, and my opinion that it is ugly is just that - my opinion. I've read the thread and can see why people become upset when people use words such as chav. That is derogatory. Saying a piece of pastil is ugly is hardly the same. In your own words "Then again, this is the apparently snootier 8V forum". On the TT Forum posts are MUCH stronger in their "opinions" and people accept it as the usual forum banter. I will obviously have to be more careful in future on the 8V Forum :no:.

That's fine, and everything you say is valid.

However, prefacing everything with IMO or adding IMHO doesn't necessarily nor automatically excuse derogatory/rude/unacceptable behavior. The last person that used IMO and IMHO as a way of disguising undercurrents of unacceptable behavior was banned after a spate of unpleasantness, including bullying dressed up as banter.

I (and others) would not like to see a return to those days, and maybe comparing standards to other forums perhaps isn't a good benchmark, lets try and keep it relatively civil on here :)

Let's promote tolerance for the choices (colour, wind deflectors, lowering springs, advanced key, DSG etc.) other people make, and maybe not use pejorative (eg: ugly) language as a precursor to their choices ! :)

Reactions: Louay and h5djr
Mercedes A200 CDI auto Mk II version......my kids used to call it an old man's car.....but there again, I am an old man, so perhaps they were right! :iagree: .......now they think my A3 saloon is cool! :cool:

Gents, all is good in the hood!

I appreciate we all have our views (I'm not a big fan of deflectors either and prefer to take the morning Audi shower when I open the window to soon, but my view is its a slippery slope when we start expressing in a forthright manner. Inevitably in an anonymous environment things can often get out of hand quickly and whilst we run the risk of running the forum 'too safe', I'd rather their was an air of civility rather than pages of 'your mums .....'!

I'm all for a bit of good natured banter and **** take, but at ASN we'd like to be more family friendly as it means we get better engagement from Audi UK / sponsors etc.

As you were x

Reactions: T-800, Louay, illingworth22 and 2 others
You're kidding? I had an S5 loaner last year for a week. Like driving a big boat with wheels. Wasn't impressed at all with it, interior aside.

We traded our 320D touring for the S3. Have a second car, which was a Cayman S and is now a Boxster GTS. Plan to swap the S3 to an RS3 next year at some point.

No, with dynamic steering and rear diff the S5 is a better car to drive than the S3. I can't compare to a S5 without these.
I'm basing that on ownership of both cars.
As I said, I didn't particularly rate the S5 and how it handled, but the fact that I think it's better than the S3, tells you my thoughts on the S3.
Here's hoping the RS6 ticks more boxes for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: geefunk1978, warren_S5, veeeight and 1 other person
Didn't P/X Sold my 58 plate 8P S3 3dr to WBAC.com for £1500 more than was offered by Audi dealer.

No, with dynamic steering and rear diff the S5 is a better car to drive than the S3. I can't compare to a S5 without these.
I'm basing that on ownership of both cars.
As I said, I didn't particularly rate the S5 and how it handled, but the fact that I think it's better than the S3, tells you my thoughts on the S3.
Here's hoping the RS6 ticks more boxes for me!

I agree with you. Most people who judge the S5 do so on poverty spec. With extras it's a better car than S3 but still not anywhere near perfect.

Sold my A1 Black Edition 1.4 TFSI (185 P.S) for my S3 SB.

Both Amalfi White.......rare colour but have found it very durable and always gets a nice reaction. People don't realise its not metallic!

y4urera4.jpg

asu2esej.jpg

No.
Practical maybe, which was one of the reasons for the change, but the S5 with dynamic steering and the diff specced was a far better prospect to drive. I didn't even think the S5 was necessarily brilliant to drive either........
Cabin of the S5 much nicer place than the S3.
All round a better car, which it should be.

The sports differential? Gets good reviews.

The S5 is a much heavier car though. Some people like the feel of big cars. Some prefer the feel of small cars.

My wife traded in her 2007 Mk5 Golf Match for her A3 Sportback 1.6 TDI SE S-tronic.

My 2011 Mitsubishi Evo X FQ330 SST for my S3 sportback. Handling on the S3 not quite as good as the Evo, but at least on the S3 there is no turbo lag and the SST gearbox is def better. Loved the Evo, but overall prefer the S3 as more practical, plus every Fiesta on the road with a dustbin exhaust doesn't want a race!

If I could work out how to post pictures I'd post some up.