A3 E-Tron pre-release review

garylaw

Reaction score
Audi A3 E-tron

Hi

First post, thought I'd share a my experiences having just been given a sneak preview and drive of the Audi A3 E-tron, which is out later this year. Audi invited a few dozen prospective buyers to the midlands for a drive and q&a with the pre-production models of the new car. I think these cars, which are pre-production spec, will then be taken on a tour round the UK's dealers.

It's a plug-in hybrid, so for short / medium runs you'll be on electric only, provided you remembered to charge it first. It's not a huge battery, but big enough for 90% of car journeys.

If your journey's over 30 miles the there's a TFSI petrol to keep the car going. It's not a range extender, it's a proper engine, so it's perfectly possible to run the car petrol only for hours and hours.

There are two clutches so the car can run with both power trains at the same time, or either one. It's even possible to have the petrol engine charge the battery -- which makes sense if you have a long motorway run ahead of a stop/start cross-city jaunt.

So, the engine specs and performance numbers are published elsewhere ... this is just what I thought:

Great driving experience... I've driven a Prius and an Insight hybrid and it's absolutely fantastic compared to them... better also than my current day car, an unmapped A3 2L TDI. Probably not as great as top end pure electric cars like the Tesla, but half the price. Absolutely knocks dead cheapo pure electrics like the volt and leaf.

Wonderful smooth gearbox/clutch -- no idea what's going on under the hood were it not for the fancy graphics on the dash

Combined petrol and electric performance is very nippy. Electric only acceleration is good enough for 99% of city driving situations I reckon, you 'll never want to floor it unless on open/main roads. If you do floor it and the petrol engine was off you'll wait a moment for that to kick in -- bit like turbo lag. The overall combined power is I think over 300 BHP , so Audi have limited it to just over 200 BHP. -- 220 I think? It's very quick 0-60 for an everyday car.

So, two unexpected pieces of news on the day, one good one bad:

Bad news is it comes in a single option spec sports version only. It's a high spec -- LED lights, MMI with SIM, parking senors front and back etc -- but absolutely no options except colour! I want leather seats and a panoramic sunroof, neither are available.

Good news is the price -- with a government subsidy it's a shade under thirty grand. If you do a lot of company mileage -- an I do -- as an upgrade it might even pay for itself. Clearly Audi have priced to make inroads into i3 / prius / leaf territory. It's great for the money over three years if you do the right amount of miles.

Most interesting thing about the event was the other attendees -- I was about the only Audi driver on my session. Most of the prospective owner/drivers trooped up in existing hybrid or pure electric cars from other marques. The only thing I didn't see was a beemer i3!

I think it will be a hit. It's a normal car with lots of electric car pluses.

Reactions: cemerson, Pulp84 and mjcourtney
No options at all except colour? So glad I didn't wait for this then, being able to choose bits on your new car is half the fun.

Also don't think it's that suitable for a private buyer, for me I'd need a range of 45 miles to get to work and back including a short stint on the motorway sui just don't think it's quite there yet.

Did they mention anything about the battery? Is it leased or owned out right? Do they have a separate warranty / life time for it our are you stuck with an insane bill off it goes just after 3 years?

I was really interested in this.... Until you mentioned the lack of options. If I'm spending £30k on a car I'd want it to have my choice of equipment. Definitely sounds like they've gone after the business lease market, as typically you couldn't choose options on those anyway.

The one piece of information that Audi don't seem to to telling us at the moment is the mpg figure when the e-tron is running on the petrol engine alone.

If I wanted to do a 400 mile journey, obviously the first few miles could be done using electric power and/or combined electric and petrol but I assume after a while I would be running on the 1.4TFSI alone. With the extra weight of the batteries and electric motors what sort of performance and mpg would with the e-tron give.

great review!

It will no doubt be a cracking car but not having the option to select your options and the fact its just shy of £30k I think I would rather pay an extra couple of grand for a S3! IMHO

Reactions: h5djr
great review!

It will no doubt be a cracking car but not having the option to select your options and the fact its just shy of £30k I think I would rather pay an extra couple of grand for a S3! IMHO

I agree. I like to have my car with the options I want and not being able to choose those options would certainly stop me considering one. My current 184ps quattro cost around 30k and I know which one I would prefer.

An interesting point. If everyone starts buying hybrid type cars no doubt the government will end the £5000 subsidy and if it starts loosing a lot of money on fuel duty, how will it make up the shortfall. Change extra duty on electricity? - interesting :)

Reactions: Pulp84
I agree. I like to have my car with the options I want and not being able to choose those options would certainly stop me considering one. My current 184ps quattro cost around 30k and I know which one I would prefer.

An interesting point. If everyone starts buying hybrid type cars no doubt the government will end the £5000 subsidy and if it starts loosing a lot of money on fuel duty, how will it make up the shortfall. Change extra duty on electricity? - interesting :)

Don't worry they will find a way to shaft us for money! Don't know about you but pot holes and bad roads seem to becoming more frequent where I travel, probably because most town cars are mostly tax free now so they have lost their income for these kind of repairs.

Rise in Petrol tax for the remainder of petrol cars will make it a "rich" person only type of fuel eventually, Electricity duty will rise etc they will have to make it up somehow!

> Did they mention anything about the battery? Is it leased or owned out right?

It's owned with the car , eight year warranty. It should be good for ten given the tech, regardless of mileage, at which point it will definitely need replacing.

Reactions: Shermo
Hmm, lack of options puts me off too. How strange!