Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Vertigo1
  • 1 Post By cemerson

Thread: dimming mirrors: something you can't believe

Neutral

Status
    A big, ugly and polluted south-Europe city

dimming mirrors: something you can't believe

Skoda Superb has the auto-dimming mirror also on passenger side. I cannot believe the S3 not.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Skoda Superb also has electric seat memory function - A3/S3 does not.

Don't diss the Skoda Superb. It is our other car and is great (I was going to say superb but...)
    '14 plate 2 litre 184 quattro stronic s-line with DTUK box fitted. Extras: comfort pack, progressive steering, adaptive cruise, leather/alcantara seats + lumbar support, Audi sound system, interior lighting, SD card satnav, auto release (aka hill hold), TPM. Daytona Grey.

Neutral

Status
    It is a big deal for the money but I am surprized the S3, that is Premium brand and model, has not a simple feature the Skoda has.

6th Gear

Status
    Dimming mirrors are expensive, and the passenger mirror isn't in your vision as much as the driver one is, so guess they thought it wasn't worth it. I'd probably agree.

The lack of memory buttons on the electric seats stopped me speccing them though (they have memory function, but it's saved to the key... not much use in my case!)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    It's because they know people, well Audi drivers will pay more for simple things.

The previous A3 8P had dimming door mirrors on both driver and passenger side. A step backwards I think.

The Skoda Superb is more akin to the A4 with the Octavia being comparable to the A3/S3. I think you can choose memory seats on the A4.

I had a test drive in the 'new' Skoda Octavia before I chose my A3. It was a DSG version but it did not have the steering wheel paddles as standard which was rather strange for me as I use them all the time. Quality of the interior was good but not in the same league as the A3.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    The previous A3 8P had dimming door mirrors on both driver and passenger side. A step backwards I think
    I actually prefer the current set-up of auto dimming rear view and standard wing mirror as it gives me an earlier warning in my peripheral vision, and helps me better judge the distance of approaching cars at night, but each to there own I suppose
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Neutral

Status
    Let me say that the lack of dimming mirror on the passenger side is justifiable only by economy. If I am passing a car on the motorway, the headlights of cars in the other lanes blind me through the passenger side mirror.

Lack of electric seats on the S3 could be justifiable with weight saving...and again, what do you think if there would be an electric seat for the driver and not for the passenger??

IMO obviously...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    The Skoda Superb is more akin to the A4 with the Octavia being comparable to the A3/S3.
    Spec. level maybe, but the Skoda really is a Tardis on the inside. I find the A4 a very small car indeed (I've been driven in a few A4s test drove the A4 coupe [i.e. A5] and they have even less room behind my seat than the A3 does....)
    '14 plate 2 litre 184 quattro stronic s-line with DTUK box fitted. Extras: comfort pack, progressive steering, adaptive cruise, leather/alcantara seats + lumbar support, Audi sound system, interior lighting, SD card satnav, auto release (aka hill hold), TPM. Daytona Grey.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danilotto View Post
    Lack of electric seats on the S3 could be justifiable with weight saving...and again, what do you think if there would be an electric seat for the driver and not for the passenger??
    I think that would be fine... I'd probably prefer it TBH. The only reason to get electric seats is for the memory, and to return to the same position again and again if other people use the car. Otherwise they are just slow.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Skodas are ugly cars in my humble opinion... and is a minor miss

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jasso86 View Post
    Actually, the Superb is really good looking IMHO. And cheap (yet still well made) by comparison....

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jasso86 View Post
    Could not agreee more, had a Skoda Rapid as a hire car for a couple of weeks and it is was pretty rapid 1.4TFSI engine with DSG gearbox was great but handled like a bag of sugar and was the ugliest car I have ever driven IMHO!!!!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Neutral

Status
    I ride usually a Superb "avant" because my best friend has it. Wonderful car for the price. He bought it in Czech Republic because his wife is from Prague. Price there are much lower than where we live. So what to say: I would buy it absolutely if I need a family car.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by arad85 View Post
    Actually, the Superb is really good looking IMHO. And cheap (yet still well made) by comparison....
    Superb looks good in estate form, but is bloody ugly in saloon form.

1st Gear

Status
    Agreed! Don't diss Skoda - MUCH better than you think. We have a couple of Superb Estates as pool cars at work - I'm always very happy to take one out. Rather have one of those any day of the week compared to a BMW 1 series - we've got a 320d that sits in the car park most of the time as it's always the last car anyone wants to book out. LOL!
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

Neutral

Status
    We are talking about looks.. and each one can have their opinion.

For me is a brand i'd never consider buying, having Vw and audi in the VAG group... (is not sold in Mexico anyways)

I would even look to ford or mazda... but thas just ME.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danilotto View Post
    Skoda Superb has the auto-dimming mirror also on passenger side. I cannot believe the S3 not.

Skoda Superb also has electric seat memory function - A3/S3 does not.
    The Skoda Superb is a Skoda. The Audi is not
    h5djr, Belfin and jasso86 like this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    nuff said hahaha

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    Please keep thinking like that - when it comes around to replacing the Skoda with another Superb next year, it's attitudes like yours that keeps prices down for us savvy buyers...

1st Gear

Status
    Skoda: The thinking man's VW.

3rd Gear

Status
    Skoda: The thinking Cab driver's VW?
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

1st Gear

Status
    I friend of mine has a BMW with heated/dimming mirrors on both sides. They were stolen at Heathrow airport and cost £700 to replace!!!

whist it would be nice if they dimmed on both sides, perhaps this will save some money in the long run if the worst should happen

I joked he could probably buy the same ones off ebay for a fraction of the cost !
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

Neutral

Status
    I've specced a saloon with the £150 folding mirrors, is the dip function only when you go into reverse?

6th Gear

Status
    Yes...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Neutral

Status
    Cheers, just as I thought. Could I enable the passenger side with vagcom?

1st Gear

Status
    It's the passenger mirror which dips when you go into reverse anyway!
    On order [ARRIVED 23 JULY]: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

Neutral

Status
    Haha, so it is, just ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    Please keep thinking like that - when it comes around to replacing the Skoda with another Superb next year, it's attitudes like yours that keeps prices down for us savvy buyers...
    And your resale values down too :D
    Belfin likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    And your resale values down too :D
    Yes, but not as much as an Audi (maybe bigger loss percentage wise, but lower in absolute terms as well as less initial outlay). Win all round from my viewpoint

BTW, when I bought my A3, the other car I was looking at was another Skoda Superb Elegance. With discount, and after 3 years, I reckon it would have cost around £10-£11k on less than £23k initial outlay. I'm expecting to lose more than that on my A3 in a similar timeframe.

You may ask why I didn't just get another Superb - simply because I figured it would be incredibly sad to have two identical cars sat outside....