S3 Options Advice

Langer

Reaction score
I am just about to order an S3 and wanted to get opinions on whether I should consider additional or alternative options.

As things stand I am ordering the following:

S3 Sportback S Tronic
Monsoon Grey
Super sports seats
Comfort pack with ACC
B&O
Folding door mirrors
Extended mono pour
Hold assist
Technology pack
Through load
Interior lighting

I also have a few questions that I would appreciate if someone could let me know the answer to:

1) Does ordering the B&O sound system mean loosing the spare wheel due to the subwoofer?

2) Does having through load result in losing a rear seat?

3) I am a non smoker, is it better to leave or opt for the non smoker option?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Spare wheel is still here with B&O, the sub screws inside it.

Nice spec! Pre-sense and ACC are worthwhile considerations for the cost.

See below answer to your question after going out and checking my own car!

1) Does ordering the B&O sound system mean loosing the spare wheel due to the subwoofer?

No, the subwoofer sits inside the spare wheel.

Nope you still get two main ones and a smaller centre one. The centre one also pulls down to reveal an armrest with cup holders and a storage cubby. You also obviously have access to the boot here through a hatch.

Go non smoker and get a 12V charger in the front with a nice little plug for when not in use. You can always buy the ash tray separately.

1) space saving wheel + sub woofer

2) don't have it, don't think you lose a rear seat though

3) I have the non smokin pack and requested that the dealer also send me the iconic audi ashtray.

I am just about to order an S3 and wanted to get opinions on whether I should consider additional or alternative options.

As things stand I am ordering the following:

S3 Sportback S Tronic
Monsoon Grey
Super sports seats
Comfort pack with ACC
B&O
Folding door mirrors
Extended mono pour
Hold assist
Technology pack
Through load
Interior lighting

I also have a few questions that I would appreciate if someone could let me know the answer to:

Thanks in advance for your help!
LED headlights? Black styling pack and
Black rails would look smart?

Perfect spec in my book. Only thing I would add is high beam assist as for the cash it's a great option.....

Last edited:
Reactions: glospete
I think the inlays in black 3D design are a nice touch and a free option, think they look a lot better than the silver IMO.

a3ugyreg.jpg

pemamaqe.jpg

rupytava.jpg

2u9evyhe.jpg

Last edited:
Ah yeh LED headlights, black styling pack and 3D black inlays are all great options too!

Spec and options are different now to when I got mine but it was an early car. Those black interior trim parts look great! I'd also suggest Black optics pack for the exterior!

Colour? Personal choice really. No S3 looks bad, but some colours suit the car better than others IMO. Monsoon Grey is one such colour, well in Sportback guise I think, not so much in 3 door or saloon, IMO of course.

Super Sports Seats - massive, massive yes!

B&O? I didn't bother and don't feel I am missing out. The Audi sound system is excellent, very akin to the BOSE of old.

Through load I have on my car as I do a lot of fishing - so very handing to poke the rods through when I don't want to fold the seats. It's just a hatch in the centre seat that folds down.

Folding mirrors - yep, got those and very handy when parking in the ever shrinking parking spaces you find everywhere these days. Set mine to fold when the ignition is switched off.

Hold assist? Assume you're getting a manual car? Not an option I would bother with personally.

Comfort pack/ACC - wouldn't bother with that either. ACC on UK roads? Been there, done that. About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike unless of course you do all your driving on motorways at 3am that is.

I don't smoke and ticked the no smoking option. You end up getting two 12v sockets that look like fag lighters. It's pants really. I have disconnected the light surrounding them and am looking at a way of filling the hole with something that doesn't look like a stupid fag lighter. Cheapens the interior of the car IMO.

Options you should look at... black styling pack and privacy glass. Absolutely makes the car look like an S3, if you know what I mean. Trust me, tick those boxes!!

ACC on UK roads? Been there, done that. About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike unless of course you do all your driving on motorways at 3am that is.

Why do you say that? I (and others on here) use ACC all the time when driving. Why would the roads make a difference?

Reactions: The Challinor and veeeight
Everytime I use my Cruise on my 8P I get fed up when a driver in front backs off for no reason etc and contstantly think "if only it was adaptive..."

Reactions: The Challinor
+1 for ACC. I have been looking at A5s. I have dismissed any without ACC as now I have it, I think it is an essential feature (I use mine mainly on A/B roads although I got caught in my first tailback on a motorway the other day and it was even better there).

I've got S Tronic, don't care much for it. Too slow on downshift and jerky at times.
Tried a manual box? Sure it's not as fast (I was duped by that way of thinking), but at least you control the gear change.
I've come to the opinion that a hot hatch should probably be a manual box.

B&O is great if you are into music (no point if you are a radio listener I doubt), comfort pack should have been standard and is probably the only "must have".
The rest is down to personal preference and available funds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6audi6 and warren_S5
Why do you say that? I (and others on here) use ACC all the time when driving. Why would the roads make a difference?

Because that's my experience of cars with ACC, given the driving I do and the roads I do it on. Others may (and will) certainly have a different view... just try using it on the M25 jct 27 to 19 at 7.30am on a weekday morning (my daily commute for many years)... like a blunt pencil... ACC, pointless.

Last edited:
Maybe he thinks it's Audi Cruise Control, as opposed to Adaptive Cruise Control.

I've got S Tronic, don't care much for it. Too slow on downshift and jerky at times.
Tried a manual box? Sure it's not as fast (I was duped by that way of thinking), but at least you control the gear change.
I've come to the opinion that a hot hatch should probably be a manual box.

B&O is great if you are into music (no point if you are a radio listener I doubt), comfort pack should have been standard and is probably the only "must have".
The rest is down to personal preference and available funds.

Agree wholeheartedly with the above (glad I wasn't the only one that duped myself with the performance issue either!).

The saving on a manual compared to S-Tronic can pay for a whole host of extras. B&O (or at least ***) is a must as is the comfort pack and interior light pack.

As Silure Mark says colour is down to preference but Monsoon really suits the S3 Sportback. I have no regrets. However I would also spec privacy glass if getting Monsoon. Not so sure the black styling pack goes with Monsoon as much as other colours though. It's preference but I would stick with the standard chrome finish if getting Monsoon. Accentuates the lines of the car nicely around the window lines - especially with privacy glass.

Last edited:
Because that's my experience of cars with ACC, given the driving I do and the roads I do it on. Others may (and will) certainly have a different view... just try using it on the M25 jct 27 to 19 at 7.30am on a weekday morning (my daily commute for many years)... like a blunt pencil... ACC, pointless.

Is that because the road is empty? ACC / CC in my opinion is useful at any point, even when not in traffic.

Agree wholeheartedly with the above (glad I wasn't the only one that duped myself with the performance issue either!).

The saving on a manual compared to S-Tronic can pay for a whole host of extras. B&O (or at least ***) is a must as is the comfort pack and interior light pack.

As Silure Mark says colour is down to preference but Monsoon really suits the S3 Sportback. I have no regrets. However I would also spec privacy glass if getting Monsoon. Not so sure the black styling pack goes with Monsoon as much as other colours though. It's preference but I would stick with the standard chrome finish if getting Monsoon. Accentuates the lines of the car nicely around the window lines - especially with privacy glass.

What is the performance issue?

The fact that, on paper, the S-tronic is quicker to accelerate in most circumstances. Don't doubt that it probably is. Wasn't the main reason I decided to try S-tronic but it certainly helped sway me a little.

I've covered it before but after day to day use S-tronic just isn't for me. I'd rather go back to manual while it exists as an option. Happily respect those who wouldn't but I'd advise anyone just to be 100% sure. The difference pays for a heck of a lot of options.

The fact that, on paper, the S-tronic is quicker to accelerate in most circumstances. Don't doubt that it probably is. Wasn't the main reason I decided to try S-tronic but it certainly helped sway me a little.

I've covered it before but after day to day use S-tronic just isn't for me. I'd rather go back to manual while it exists as an option. Happily respect those who wouldn't but I'd advise anyone just to be 100% sure. The difference pays for a heck of a lot of options.

So the performance issue is that people are just buying S-Tronic as they are faster then. I've got 8P S3 manual now and have 8V S3 S-Tronic on order now. Just feel like it's the right gearbox choice for me.

So the performance issue is that people are just buying S-Tronic as they are faster then. I've got 8P S3 manual now and have 8V S3 S-Tronic on order now. Just feel like it's the right gearbox choice for me.

Nope. I was exactly the same as you. Two manual 8Ps to an S tronic 8V. The performance swayed me a little but other reasons had a bigger infleunce - wanted something that gave me even more of a 'complete change of car' feel. Also do a lot more enforced town driving than I would like.

Balanced various things off against the manual (performance having a bearing) and went for S tronic. I got it wrong (for me). Doesn't mean others have. Its all down to preference. All I would say is, given the price difference, have a good hard think.

Last edited:
Nope. I was exactly the same as you. Two manual 8Ps to an S tronic 8V. The performance swayed me a little but other reasons had a bigger infleunce - wanted something that gave me even more of a 'complete change of car' feel. Also do a lot more enforced town driving than I would like.

Balanced various things off against the manual (performance having a bearing) and went for S tronic. I got it wrong (for me). Doesn't mean others have. Its all down to preference. All I would say is, given the price difference, have a good hard think.

The price difference is worth it performance wise if you want a) pub bragging rights about 0-60 and b) launch control.
The downshift delay is so inconsistent, I'd rather take the extra however many tenths of a second to change gear myself and maintain control.
It's great for driving around town in traffic, just not brilliant when you want to have fun.
As I said - hot hatches should be manual IMO!

All that said my next car is an auto (albeit not s tronic), but also not even close to being a hot hatch, nor is it available as a manual.

The price difference is worth it performance wise if you want a) pub bragging rights about 0-60 and b) launch control.
The downshift delay is so inconsistent, I'd rather take the extra however many tenths of a second to change gear myself and maintain control.
It's great for driving around town in traffic, just not brilliant when you want to have fun.
As I said - hot hatches should be manual IMO!

All that said my next car is an auto (albeit not s tronic), but also not even close to being a hot hatch, nor is it available as a manual.

What you gone for next? Strictly speaking S-Tronic is not a auto

Just really fancy a change, after driving most of the S / RS range (all S-Tronic) just fell in love with it haha

Guess only time will tell after I've loved with it for a while, rock on Nov !

Just been reading a review of the RS6 in CAR magazine and it says the RS6 does have an S-Tronic box. Is that not correct?

^ ZF 8HP. Probably one of the best auto transmissions available worldwide today.

Good spec, personal preferences but roofbars add in my view.
I believe body coloured mirrors are option now and for lower profile I would have specified.