Car washing tips

andywil13

Reaction score
Due to having a new born baby and the past 6 months being pretty hectic, my plan of "wash the new car every 2 weeks" has gone out the window lately and it got its first wash in ages yesterday evening.

I'm not massively into detailing, just like to give a proper wash and wax to keep it looking good.

What is recommended for cleaning the chrome tail pipes and for getting the tar spots off the body work which are mainly on the bottom of the front doors.

I use an auto glym wheel cleaner which really speeds up cleaning the wheels, but still find getting the tiny brake dust spots off the front wheels, does it just require more elbow grease or something like tcut to shift it.

Cheers

Reactions: Grunter43
try some auto smart tardis for removing tar, if your struggling with brake dust spots try some car pro iron x, smells awful but its does a great job, also you can use iron x all over your car, you'l be surprised on what iron contaminants are on your car. the best part of iron x is watching it work as it turns purple.

Tardis will strip off the wax/sealant from the paint so best not to use it for general cleaning unless you're going to apply more wax/sealant afterwards.

its used to remove tar, so your going to have to remove/strip wax to remove tar.

I am also not into serious detailing ,but am happy to use Bilt hamber wheel cleaner, car wash and hydro wax.
Bucket with drain guard,separate sponge/mitt for upper lower body and a separate one for the wheels.
works for me.I also use autoglym polish to remove any marks prior to using the hydrowax.

I use just about everything from autobrite. Only thing I've used from them and didn't like was the engine lacquer.
Banana gloss, cherry glaze then project 32 is an amazing combo that doesn't take too long

Iron x is the best for the wheels, just make sure you leave it to work, if also recommend NEVER touch your car with t-cut, it's the devil

I've found the best thing for easily cleaning off tar on the body and brake dust spots on wheels is a clay bar.
Make sure you only use it immediately after cleaning or when the areas are clean and free from dust. Don't forget to apply wax afterwards (note wax not polish)

... my plan of "wash the new car every 2 weeks" has gone out the window lately and it got its first wash in ages yesterday.

Got a Nilfisk Centennial pressure washer for my birthday last year. Think it was under £100. Tidy little unit and the cone spray attachment is great for removing loose dirt/grit. It only takes a couple of minutes to set up and pack away. I always give both cars a quick blast before washing with a mit. But then I usually wash both cars every weekend and they usually have mud on them. (warning - don't get any closer than 6 inches/15cm).

I was put off buying a pressure washer after using my dads Kew industrial pressure washer used on the farm. That thing could easily strip paint off a car if you got too close. I remember resting it on my welly boot and pulling the trigger. Then got a wet foot as it blasted a hole in my boot. So no need to buy a really powerful pressure washer for a car.

If you get one - just remember to run out the water if you are storing it in the garage during the winter.

Got a Nilfisk Centennial pressure washer for my birthday last year. Think it was under £100. Tidy little unit and the cone spray attachment is great for removing loose dirt/grit. It only takes a couple of minutes to set up and pack away. I always give both cars a quick blast before washing with a mit. But then I usually wash both cars every weekend and they usually have mud on them. (warning - don't get any closer than 6 inches/15cm).

I was put off buying a pressure washer after using my dads Kew industrial pressure washer used on the farm. That thing could easily strip paint off a car if you got too close. I remember resting it on my welly boot and pulling the trigger. Then got a wet foot as it blasted a hole in my boot. So no need to buy a really powerful pressure washer for a car.

If you get one - just remember to run out the water if you are storing it in the garage during the winter.

I got the exact same jet wash yesterday and was very impressed, is the cone spray the non adjustable head? As it comes with 2. The wheel brush wasn't up to much.

I got the exact same jet wash yesterday and was very impressed, is the cone spray the non adjustable head? As it comes with 2. The wheel brush wasn't up to much.
Yep. The cone is created by a small jet nozzle that rotates very fast - hence the vibration.

Don't think I got a brush with my kit - but would only use it on the alloys or glass - not the paint work.

Edit: just had a look in the garage and found the brush, deck and foaming attachments. Have never used them. Looks like we have exactly the same kit.

Think this is it - http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/nilfisk---centennial-pressure-washer-021534

"tornado pressure regulating nozzle" lol... what a name ... it is very good for cleaning the loose muck of a car.

Last edited:
Apply Autosol metal polish with fine grade wire wool, buff off with a MF cloth and the exhaust tips come up a treat.

I have to say, I'd be very reticent about using metal polish and wire wool, you're going to be cutting into the chrome and at some point you will go through it and it will start to rust. If you're just trying to remove soot, you'll find WD40 is quite effective.

+1 for WD40 on the tailpipes

Would not use brasso or wire wool or anything really abrasive as long term will corrode the relatively thin chrome finish

Yep. The cone is created by a small jet nozzle that rotates very fast - hence the vibration.

Don't think I got a brush with my kit - but would only use it on the alloys or glass - not the paint work.

Edit: just had a look in the garage and found the brush, deck and foaming attachments. Have never used them. Looks like we have exactly the same kit.

Think this is it - http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/nilfisk---centennial-pressure-washer-021534

"tornado pressure regulating nozzle" lol... what a name ... it is very good for cleaning the loose muck of a car.

Yer that's it, everything apart from the brush and patio cleaner fits onto the jet wash itself for storage, very handy. Don't think I used the tornado one much yesterday, just the adjustable hose at the least powerful setting for rinsing. Yer I'd only ever use brush on wheels, didn't think about using it on glass. Was ok for surface of wheels but obviously can't get into the spokes so won't bother using it again I don't think.

To clean up the exhaust tips, I recommend using Autosol or Auto Finesse Mercury Metal polish using grade 00 or 000 wire wool.

Reactions: squiretolley
A good wheel sealant on the wheels will save time in the long run & avoid harsh wheel cleaners too!

After you get a good coat of wax on, dry off using autoglym aquawax. It does a great job for the 'inbetween' washes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grant
Mods - can we get this thread moved to detailing section?

Some good tips that are not specific to the 8V.

Watching that video, my main thought is "Dude, it's a ****ing exhaust pipe." :)

Reactions: Artimus and Daz Auto
Mods - can we get this thread moved to detailing section?

Some good tips that are not specific to the 8V.

But I only really read the 8V section :(

Reactions: steverobertsbbc
Oi!

See sig... :)

Reactions: glospete and veeeight
A good wheel sealant on the wheels will save time in the long run & avoid harsh wheel cleaners too!

After you get a good coat of wax on, dry off using autoglym aquawax. It does a great job for the 'inbetween' washes.

Another vote for aqua wax. So easy to apply and buff up to an excellent finish.

I use zymol. The wax for every few months, and the shampoo for regular washes. It's incredible stuff

Did yours come with anything to hold the cable at all?

***. What is this, the Nilfisk advice forum ? :p

Reactions: Pulp84
Did yours come with anything to hold the cable at all?
No. Under the hose reel where the water bottle is supposed to attach - just loop the cable over that.

Edit: it shows it on the last image on the homebase website link above.

Reactions: The Challinor
Some of these detailers are really obsessive, check out Larry from AMMO and Drive Clean on YouTube!

I'm obsessive, when I do customer cars it can take 2/3 full days to get it exactly right

Day 1 actual washing claying etc etc

Day 2 machine polishing

Day 3 maybe more machine polishing and then 2 layers of autofinesse wax usually illusion followed by desire, looks absolutely amazing

Don't think anyone's mentioned prewashing with snowfoam. Need a foam lance for your pressure washer but well worth the investment. Pressure washing to remove heavy dirt just blasts grit into your paintwork. Snowfoam lifts it gently, making it come away much more easily. I save the high pressure stuff for wheel arches etc.

Some of us haven't got the time (or the patience!) for the full detailing tips, but like to keep our cars reasonably clean without visiting the local Eastern European "hand car wash" to often, so would welcome if anyone has a good quick full "routine" they would recommend?
My office car park is next to a quarry road, so even my best efforts are covered in dust after one day :sob:

E.G. Rinse with hose, wash using xxxx car shampoo using xxxx sponge, top first then sides, spray on xxxx wheel cleaner,then use separate sponge for wheels, rinse whole car then dry using xxxx synthetic leather or xxx drying cloth. Occasionally use xxxx spray on quick wax etc. Cheers :sm4:

My tips and advice

1. Put your pressure wash lance on a nice fan setting so there's no pressure there to give it a little rinse
2. Bug and grime remover I use autofinesse citrus power on mine and customers
3. Let that dwell and use a mitt to remove the leftovers of the flies if any
4. Dilute the snowfoam liquid with a little citrus power and spray on the car, let it dwell ad using detsiling brushes clean the grills and other areas!
5. Clean wheels with a ph neutral wheel cleaner and use various brushes
6. Iron x the wheels and the bodywork
7. Rinse
8.tar remover ie tardis or oblitarate
9. Wipe and rinse
10. I like to snowfoam once more
11. 2 bucket method with grit guards and a ph neutral shampoo
12. Using a nice drying towel dry the car
13. Blow any excess water out with air blower
14. Clay the car
15. Snowfoam again
16. Using my das6 pro and various pads depending on paint hardness I use megs 105 followed by 205 (this is on a 2 stage polishing)
17. Wax the car using autofinesse illusion
18. 2nd layer of wax using autofinesse desire
19. Seal the wheels and dress tires
20. Clean all metal work ie exhaust
21 gtechniq on the glass and lights

That's just the bodywork side of washing then I move onto interior

Usually for the 2/3 day enhancement detail it's 250 with returning customers getting a discount to 200
And we are usually fairly booked up