Would you go from MINI JCW to S3 sedan

Messi_alli

Reaction score
new member here and hopefully soon to be owner. I currently have a 2013 jcw mini fully specd 6fwd. Car is an absolute blast to drive. Drove the s3 SB recently and loved the refined interior and the four doors. The performance was not bad. My jcw feels faster on acceleration but I really didn't have an extended test drive of the s3. Reason for possible switch is hoping to start a family soon and well my wife does not drive manual either. We do have her car to use but sometimes I wish I could have both a sweet car and a car that's convenient. Will I regret selling my JCW and going with S3 sedan in s tronic? Less concerned about the auto vs manual debate but more interested in what similar owners who had this dilemma did. I have read every single review of the s3 here and online. BTW, I went from a steptronic 335i BMW coupe to the Mini JCW bc I felt the 335i was just too boring. Btw, not a single regret going from 335i to JCW.

I personally would yes and again if it's gotta be a 4 door I prefer the saloon option to the sport back, but I've always gone for 3 doors. A S3 would destroy a Mini JCW so in terms of performance it's on a different league.

I had a JCW R56 until 3 years ago and then moved over to Audi as was sick and tired of it to be truthful.

It was fun with the bangs and pops and all that stuff but it really was very impractical and uncomfortable and the ergonomics were frankly a joke.

I would confindently say after owning both that my S3 destroys my old JCW in every way. Yes, the MINI probably felt faster but I knew when I owned mine that the over boost function flattered its performance. They do go round bends very well but I don't think the S3 would be embarrassed by a JCW.

Very different cars though so difficult to compare. One thing I don't miss is the shocking paint and plastic quality that BMW group products have suffered from in recent years.....

I did ! And so far am very happy ! I needed a bigger car for a growing family..(or that was the excuse I gave to the Mrs :) )

ok loving these responses. Makes me feel better about my impending choice. I mean don't get me wrong, the r56 jCW is one hoot to drive esp in point and shoot situations. Just wondering if I would miss that with S3. Searched youtube for a drag race between the two cars but didn't see any.

The S3 will be faster, but won't *feel* faster, or *feel* exciting.

The NVH and refinement insulates you from a lot.

It won't have the same "go-kart" sensations.

Reactions: Artimus
ok loving these responses. Makes me feel better about my impending choice. I mean don't get me wrong, the r56 jCW is one hoot to drive esp in point and shoot situations. Just wondering if I would miss that with S3. Searched youtube for a drag race between the two cars but didn't see any.

Mate,

The S3 is a totally different beast. On a drag race then 0-60 is relevant and between those 2 cars there is a world of difference !

keep the responses coming. especially interested in the guys who have made the same switch from mini jcw to s tronic s3 sedan.

That, as usual from Mr V8, is spot on ! (from my experience)

Reactions: veeeight

I have had a few "hot hatches" over the years with recent highlights being Mk5 GTI, MINI JCW & Cooper S and 1 Series 130i and all had different sensations to drive. The 130i was last of an era really in some respects with its naturally aspirated 6 pot and rev it's tits off nature but it didn't handle great (known fault of the first gen 1 series). Was it as good as my S3? - no chance!

In a drag the S3 would win against a JCW hands down especially in s-tronic guise. The traction off the line is incredible and with LC it's fairly brutal. My JCW would have to be teased off the line with excellent clutch control or it bogged down, which in hindsight is how my launches went a lot of the time......the S3 may not feel that rapid but trust me it is.

I had this exact same convo with a mate today at work after reading this thread who has a JCW. He reckoned in the "twisty bits" he would be quicker. After putting mine through some bends I just don't think he would - in fact I have a hunch he wouldn't see which way I had gone and I reckon I'd have just as much fun.

Final thing to consider is the R56 MINI is now 8 year old technology......the S3 is bang up to date.

I have had a few "hot hatches" over the years with recent highlights being Mk5 GTI, MINI JCW & Cooper S and 1 Series 130i and all had different sensations to drive. The 130i was last of an era really in some respects with its naturally aspirated 6 pot and rev it's tits off nature but it didn't handle great (known fault of the first gen 1 series). Was it as good as my S3? - no chance!

In a drag the S3 would win against a JCW hands down especially in s-tronic guise. The traction off the line is incredible and with LC it's fairly brutal. My JCW would have to be teased off the line with excellent clutch control or it bogged down, which in hindsight is how my launches went a lot of the time......the S3 may not feel that rapid but trust me it is.

I had this exact same convo with a mate today at work after reading this thread who has a JCW. He reckoned in the "twisty bits" he would be quicker. After putting mine through some bends I just don't think he would - in fact I have a hunch he wouldn't see which way I had gone and I reckon I'd have just as much fun.

Final thing to consider is the R56 MINI is now 8 year old technology......the S3 is bang up to date.
really appreciate the detailed response. I do consider that the technology isn't up to date and the s3's engine etc is cutting edge with the direct/indirect injection and counter balancing tech in the engine. I guess you would understand how the JCW feels having owned one. It really is a great car and if money permitted would definitely be a staple in my garage. Its just so dam impractical. I just want to make sure when I am cruising along in 2nd gear in my S3 and I punch it, that the car brings the same smile to my face that the JCW feels like. Unlike some folks, I also enjoy how the jcw engine and exhaust sounds at full tilt.

The bangs and pops are fun in the JCW and to be fair I haven't owned a car before or since it that has an exhaust charachter like it.

The S3 in my opinion does make a nice noise regardless off how much its synthesised. Its loud from outside too. Drive it anywhere where there are walls either side with a few beans and it does make some mightly loud crack noises on upshift.....immense fun!

You won't regret the swap.... :)

Reactions: RYuill

+2 on this..

Audis are so heavy it's hard to feel exciting in them... or have fun (within the legal limits) IMO.

Yes they are fastish, but the driver is so far removed from the sensation, it doesn't feel like it.

but they will be far comfier, more room, probably easier to live with.

my mate has recently got a brand new S3, and he's trying to get rid of it already, says it's the most boring car he's ever had, hates it with a passion normally reserved for a peado in court... but to be fair, he came from a modified seat Cupra.

S3 every day of the week. Not a fan of the mini, too small for me, BMW dealers, little girlie image and so on ... S3 would easily dust a JCW, I know, I've done it to one...

Reactions: The Challinor
The bangs and pops are fun in the JCW and to be fair I haven't owned a car before or since it that has an exhaust charachter like it.

The S3 in my opinion does make a nice noise regardless off how much its synthesised. Its loud from outside too. Drive it anywhere where there are walls either side with a few beans and it does make some mightly loud crack noises on upshift.....immense fun!

You won't regret the swap.... :)

The S-Tronic exhaughst blurbs are epic, that's the one I've ordered. Great engine, great noise !

We dont get good test drives here so I couldnt really test the s3 out that much. I did enjoy the exhaust and i did tell the salesman that my JCW felt faster on acceleration. I mean the gearing in the JCW will make that initial throttle response feel very responsive.

We dont get good test drives here so I couldnt really test the s3 out that much. I did enjoy the exhaust and i did tell the salesman that my JCW felt faster on acceleration. I mean the gearing in the JCW will make that initial throttle response feel very responsive.

How come test drive was short, where are you?

From what your saying it really sounds like you prefer the mini....

Btw guys.. would you even consider a bmw 328i as a comparable to the s3?

You've had some really positive feedback on moving from JCW to S3, but I get the feeling you heart is still with JCW - you need to go with your gut feeling on this. Difficult I know when you're doing it for practical reasons, but what's the rush, unless you've a little one already on the way. Why not enjoy the mini for a while longer?

Reactions: The Challinor
You've had some really positive feedback on moving from JCW to S3, but I get the feeling you heart is still with JCW - you need to go with your gut feeling on this. Difficult I know when you're doing it for practical reasons, but what's the rush, unless you've a little one already on the way. Why not enjoy the mini for a while longer?

I concur

Good point. I do have sometime to consider and will take everything into consideration. I do have to sell my JCW though and that will be a big part of my decision. Keep the JCW to S3 stories coming though :sm4:

I'm going to step in here and say something that may not resonate that well with Mini aficionados.

I like them (the classic shape), but for me when I first drove a Cooper S I was expecting a revelation based on the magazine reviews. It was good, but the way the Journo types were banging on about them I expected more. It felt underpowered for a start, and whilst it had more driver feel than the majority of VAG cars I just didn't warm to it. The switchgear was plasticky, the boot was a joke, and it just felt (like most new cars TBH) a bit overblown but without achieving much more interior space than the original. Now they have all the 'questionable' variants it's made my love of Mini wane even further as it's just become a bit clichéd.

The S3 is a better all rounder (quality / usability / convenience / kerbside appeal / winter skills / outright pace), BUT (and its a big stinking sumptuous round butt!) it won't feel more 'fun'. Personally I didn't find the Mini to be electric but it's got much more go-kart feel to it than the unflappable S3. Very different methods of execution.

Very much depends on your needs, but for me the S3 won't always set your pants in fire but once you've lived with one for a while try finding a better car to change to for similar money and you'll really struggle. They get under your skin over time!

Reactions: 6audi6
Not a S3, but it will give you an idea of the driving involvement between the 2 cars

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP's original question the answer has to be the S3 on the basis of the potential need for a family car.

However, in defence of the Mini, my wife has just taken delivery of a brand new Mini (ONE not a JCW) and the brand new models are 4 inches longer and two inches wider and the interior has been completly remodelled so while it is still a 2+2 it is a big 2+2 and interior build quality puts it above BMW standards IMHO and is very close to Audi quality interiors

All depends on what you want in the car. If you need more space and more luxary whilegoing ****** quickly then the S3 is a no brainer. It will perform the almost same in the wet as in the dry (not many cars can say that). If you want something fun and that will put a smile on your face then it would be the mini. My S3 is a nice car but even at licence losing speeds it is not fun. It's refined and impressive at what it does but not fun :(

Guess it also comes down to what you consider as fun in a car right? we dont have a track where i live so I wont be tracking or drag racing. It will really be limited to spirited back road and highway driving. I am more and more sold on the S3 thanks to this thread as well.

In many ways the JCW and the S3 are miles apart. So it's a choice for you to make, but I understand you asking for input. The Mini is more go cart like with more of the seat of the pants feel and being a small car it does feel hugely fast. I recently drove the new Mini S and was impressed compared to the previous model.
The S3 is a more refined drive but rapid although I found its not the most rewarding drive, some on here are selling, thinking of selling their S3's because it's not involving enough. As well as the Golf R it's probably the best compromise on the market.

You need to get an extended test (perhaps on a BMW 135i too) before making your mind up.

To the OP's original question the answer has to be the S3 on the basis of the potential need for a family car.

However, in defence of the Mini, my wife has just taken delivery of a brand new Mini (ONE not a JCW) and the brand new models are 4 inches longer and two inches wider and the interior has been completly remodelled so while it is still a 2+2 it is a big 2+2 and interior build quality puts it above BMW standards IMHO and is very close to Audi quality interiors

I'd agree with that assessment of the new MINI. It's amazing how a couple of inches give the impression of much more cabin space and they have fixed some of the awful ergonomic issues of the R56 version. I quite liked it but thought the infotainment graphics were trying to be a bit too cute. Driving wise I don't think it was seat of your pants (was a Cooper S I drove in the most awful mustard yellow colour) - my S3 definitely drove better.

Many of the car mag reviews of the new MINI note the interior quality is much improved but still not on par with the A1. It's the plastics that let it down still. Still better than current BMW products under the 5 series.

Think its a liveable 2+2 but ultimately you can not compare it space wise to the A3 saloon.

btw... I even have a dilemma between sedan vs sportback. I prefer the sportback.. wifey prefers sedan. we don't have the sedan here as yet but I do think the sport back from the side is nicer.. sedan wins from front and to me its a toss up which rear you like more

btw... I even have a dilemma between sedan vs sportback. I prefer the sportback.. wifey prefers sedan. we don't have the sedan here as yet but I do think the sport back from the side is nicer.. sedan wins from front and to me its a toss up which rear you like more

I took an S3 SB on the M25 for a test drive with my local dealer, managed 125 in no time... felt quick and luxury. However, the saloon looks much more executive due to the fact that the majority of executive cars are saloons. You will have no regrets going for the saloon, that's what I eventually went for and I feel like a millionaire businessman every time I'm driving around. Saying that, I also feel like a 17 year old with a Lamborghini when switching to Dynamic mode ;) The additional boot space is really good to have as well.

But it's like you said... it's what you like more. Go with your gut.

yup waiting on the local dealer to quote me on sedan. Once its not too much more than the SB, I will go with it. The sedan will fit my work profile much more. Thanks for the feedback though.

I'd personally would have had the sedan but when I looked at an order in the UK early January I was being quoted build dates 6 months later.

The sedan is better looking than the SB in my book but whatever you choose you will love it......

Last edited:
Sedan all day long. Gets 19s as standard, and with the right set up will look as menacing as the older day RS4's.

Reactions: Messi_alli
yup waiting on the local dealer to quote me on sedan. Once its not too much more than the SB, I will go with it. The sedan will fit my work profile much more. Thanks for the feedback though.

Check drive the deal for a discount as well. Hopefully they can better it.