S3 - Take delivery or not take delivery that is the question !

RAPS3

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
I've been informed by my dealer that my S3 is being built next week (a week earlier than planned) and will therefore be landing in the dealership soon.

From reading and also querying with the dealer it could be sat in the dealership within 4 weeks.

I was expecting the car around mid to end of August - so initially it was a no brainer to leave it until a 1st Sept collection and a 64 Reg.

The question I now need to ask myself is if it arrives beginning of August do I arrange collection or wait until 1st Sept.

I originally ordered an S3 in December 2013 ! - but due to me changing the spec 3 times and in the end ordering exclusive paint its been a very lonnnnnnng wait.................

Ultimatley I'll decide either way- but I'm testing public opinion, what would you do???

The whole new registration plate thing has no meaning to me these days. Quite why some people get so hung up about it I have no idea. If was me, I'd take delivery as soon as.

Reactions: glospete
Take delivery as soon as it arrives and enjoy it. :) x

You're in a similar situation to me.

I just worry that when we come to trade it in in the future, our August 2014 car (14 plate) although only 4 weeks older than a September 2014 (64 plate) will be valued as 6 months older.

This is my reason for waiting until 1st September.

Reactions: DarkBunny and monkeyhanger
You're in a similar situation to me.

I just worry that when we come to trade it in in the future, our August 2014 car (14 plate) although only 4 weeks older than a September 2014 (64 plate) will be valued as 6 months older.

This is my reason for waiting until 1st September.

But the date will show it isn't surely?

Glasses Guide wouldn't value it 6 months older, so taking a car a month before wouldn't make much difference, if it was to arrive couple of weeks before 1st September then yes I would wait.

Usually it's dealers who register stock on 1st March or 1st September purely for tactical reasons as they get kick backs from the manufacturer etc.

If it was me would just take delivery and start having fun, life is short so enjoy!

If its your money and you are only planning to keep it for 12-18 months before trading in then consider waiting.

Otherwise, just get it asap and enjoy.

John.

I'm not getting hugely hung up on it - purely interested in what others would do.

I have another 2 cars plus work vehicles to use so in not car less - purely down to actually when it arrives at the dealers I think.

I'll be transferring a p-plate onto it anyway so no '64' plate vanity haha
My only thoughts were potential loss at resale value for potentially waiting another 2-3 weeks.

I'll be keeping it 2 years I would think before I change it - maybe less depending on how we get along ;)

On previous cars - no matter what glasses or GAP has said in the private market there's been a difference of around £500-£1k on similar specced cars with 6month registration differences e.g an 07 versus a 57 plate etc.

I am inherently impatient though so I've no doubt I'll take delivery the day I get a phone call to say it's arrived.

Glass's guide works on Model Years. Yours will be a MY15 regardless of whether it's a 14/64 plate, so you certainly won't be losing out on 6 months value at the end of it. Take it now!

PilotAudi used to swear blind that by waiting for a say, 64 plate, this would reap rewards come re-sale time, say by £2k

However, another member on here, by getting an already registered car from the dealer that was sitting in the yard - was able to negotiate a further £3k off what he had already negotiated, just to take it off their hands !

Horses for courses.

Equally I was offered £2k over and above the glass's guide part-ex guide for my car by a dealership last week - regardless of whether I bought another one! They are desperate for 2nd hand stock as they know they'll sell them. All a good indication that a month or so difference in age / plate will make little difference if you think you'll be trading up in the next 3 years.

If you are bothered about the reg plate (regardless of whether you do or don't think it'll add value), wait. If you aren't, or would only wait due to increased value (which isn't the case as many here have said), take it. If you take it, you could try and negotiate additional discount - they'll want you to take it ASAP!

They're not bothered whether I take it and have left it to me.
I'm not getting any more discount I think I did ok.
Just a waiting game now to see when it actually arrives. Hopefully early August :)

This is my build week so I'm expecting end of July, early August for delivery, I want it straight away! Cherished plate and a long wait have persuaded me!

Get it and drive it.
Makes little to no difference to value.
Better off having it in your care, custody and control and keeping it in good condition than leaving it in an Audi compound.

If it were mine I'd wait till 1st September. That's when you were expecting it anyway.

We need a voting thingy!

I had the same dilemma with my A1 few years back. It arrived eight weeks earlier than planned at the dealer and initially they were happy to store it until 1st March.

About four weeks later got a call to say if I was prepared to take it the coming weekend they would give me a further £1500 off the car. The salesman needed to hit his January target so was prepared to do a deal.

Might be worth saying you want to keep waiting till September and then ask the question if there is a further discount for taking early?

Sod waiting. Get it ASAP,.drive it, enjoy it...and get a PP!

Cue forum meltdown :)

Reactions: JohnM100 and veeeight
I was in a similar position with my car. It was built and on its way 8 ish weeks early. Annoying as I wanted to add to my configuration... I was never told the car had been "locked" for build so to speak. Audi happily let me refuse the car and re built it to my spec as it was a fault on their behalf. Worth giving your dealer a call. Likewise It was also the difference of my car being a 63 plate or 14 and I wanted a 14. At the end of the day it's your money. You call the shots!

Make out to the dealer that you don't care... you can rest assured that the month before the new plate will be a quiet one in terms of sales, so they'll be keen to get you to take it early.

As others have said, the new reg is probably worth up to £500 in difference of residual value come trade in time in 3 years, so if you are offered a discount to that value or more, you're quids in PLUS you don't have to wait for your new car! I would be inclined to push for three years free servicing.

I was in the same position too. Family illness persuaded me that time can be short, so get it and enjoy! (IMHO!)

So, you made a decision then?

As I said above - I think my decision will all depend on when it lands. My current thoughts are if it lands mid August I'll probably wait - but any sooner than that and I'll go and collect it. :racer:

I could always leave it at the dealer and go and do a new car detail on it for 2 weeks :wub:

Just collect it. Most people go with the mileage rather than the age of the car when it comes to the 2nd hand market.

I cant wait myself - its been a looooong time coming and I've changed my mind on colour and spec that many times - I've drove myself nuts.

haha - I was waiting for my Amorak, S3, S1 or Octavia to appear on my drive :moa:....

Daniel messaged me the other day the day after you asked if he'd been in touch to say that it was being built next week and would be here in a "few" weeks.

haha - I was waiting for my Amorak, S3, S1 or Octavia to appear on my drive :moa:....

Daniel messaged me the other day the day after you asked if he'd been in touch to say that it was being built next week and would be here in a "few" weeks.

Well I do have a spare amarok at the mo if you're interested :)

I can't wait to see your car tbh Paul :)

I was in the same position too. Family illness persuaded me that time can be short, so get it and enjoy! (IMHO!)

Agree, last September I thought my time was up, lucky I got a get out of jail free card on this occasion so now I live every day like it's my last. On the grounds of that I say f**k money and reg plates and enjoy ;-)

Reactions: J6YAK, ajvS3, Martinbanshee and 1 other person
Have to agree with all that. Major surgery early Jan. Priorities now revised.

Reactions: warren_S5 and Martinbanshee
So just got an email this afternoon from Audi to say the cars on the production line today.
So Happy birthday my S3

Dealer expects to have the car ready for collection into the 2nd week of August which would mean a collection into the 3rd week so I'm going to wait until 1st September :)

Probably ;)

Reactions: ABYSS
I'd personally wait till September 1st, it would annoy me if I got my car just before the new reg changes!

Well - I've just had an email -the S3 has landed on UK soil :eyebrows:

Excited muchly :rock:

Should land at the dealer the backend of next week - so I'm going to wait it out until 1st September.

Its going to kill me - apart from the whole 'new reg' debate - I also have my garage in bits too as i'm doing a bit of a mancave refit and have the cabinets to finish and floor to lay over the next few weeks.

Pictures are due in next week once it arrives at the dealer - I'll post them up once I get them :)

Reactions: ABYSS
Pick it up and go and drive it. Who cares about the registration year these days, it's the model year that makes the difference.

Reactions: RAPS3
It's gonna take me about 3 weeks or so to finish this Dan - so it'll be in the way ;)

It's all booked in now for a 10:00 collection on 1st September :)

Garage will be all Spick and span with the new floor layed and all cabinets finished and stocked with cleaning goodies :)

Reactions: veeeight