Best practice with S-Tronic

glospete

Reaction score
Please don't shoot me down as I have tried to search for this topic but there are just so many threads about S-Tronic and I can't find any that really answer my question which is .....

I don't have my A3 yet but wanted your advice on best practice with the S-Tronic box. I have Hold Assist optioned as well as ACC. I am not looking for pseudo LC starts but a procedure which will give minimum wear on the gearbox/clutches.

One initial question - does the HA use the park brake or just the ordinary brakes?

So with HA switched on do I simply brake to a halt, leaving the car in Drive? Is that the same as a firm manual push on the brakes so that the clutch is released? Then when the lights change do I simply press the accelerator and go? Is it that simple or are there any other tips for best practice/minimum wear?

If I'm using ACC and the car brakes to a halt (behind another car at lights for example) does the HA come on or not by itself and if not is the clutch in full release mode or what. If it is holding itself on the brakes is there anything I should do help the life of the clutches?

I'm sure I'll get used it it but thought it would be useful to know the correct procedure in advance.

HA just holds the footbrake on I'm pretty sure. It's certainly not the handbrake as when you put that on with hold assist already active you can hear the handbrake coming on.

Reactions: glospete
So with HA switched on do I simply brake to a halt, leaving the car in Drive? Is that the same as a firm manual push on the brakes so that the clutch is released? Then when the lights change do I simply press the accelerator and go? Is it that simple or are there any other tips for best practice/minimum wear?
It's that simple.

If I'm using ACC and the car brakes to a halt (behind another car at lights for example) does the HA come on or not by itself and if not is the clutch in full release mode or what.
It's all automatic. The car will come to a stop and HH will be applied. If the car in front moves, so will you unless you have been stationary when auto start/stop will kick in. At this point, the automatic resume disengages and when the car in front moves away, the car will start automatically, but be held on HH until you press the accelerator when ACC resumes.

It really is that good a system. I use it a lot travelling to/from work on A roads. The system copes perfectly with my drive - maxing at the speed limit I have set and modulating actual speed depending on the car in front. The ONLY time I turn it off on my drive is at roundabouts/junctions. You really don't want the car deciding when to go there....

Let me put it this way, ACC/HH is so good, if my next car is available with it, but the owner has not spec'd it, I will pass on the car.

Reactions: phil1824 and glospete