Setting preferred navigation routes...

screenbubble

Reaction score
Hello all.

Went for a drive today using the nav system, which decided there was traffic up ahead and diverted me (twice).
This is all well and good, however it took me down many ridiculously twisty and narrow country roads.
Twice I had to stop and back track as the car would barely squeeze through.

Is there any way to set my preference to stick to the main/larger roads?

(The settings seem to be Short/Fast/Eco with no explanation what each does)

Thanks for any opinions...

When you set your destination route. Before you proceed you can scroll down and choose preferred router and then get an option of 3. Scroll through the navigation wheel and you can see your navigation route on 3 different colour routes. It won't be instant to choose from but will take a couple of seconds to load up. Once you choose your preferred route then you can click on the wheel and off you go. Hope that helps.

Isn't that defeating the point of the traffic redirect somewhat though? I've generally found it to be quite a good feature

Yes fair point. I want it to redirect me, however would prefer to avoid redirects through twisty narrow farm roads. (face to face with tractors and those brambles scratching my paint :crying: )

That's with all sat navigation. I've only used tomtom and it will pick the quickest route. It will take you through what ever route to get to your destination. If you want the main roads you might as well choose via *town and etc...

MQsA2Pk.jpg

Its a shame 'vignette road' isn't fancy for 'country lane' :D

Yes, it's a Connect feature, it uses the online traffic info

^ Also on Tech Pack, no Connect.
(That's what the screenshot came off)

Where it says "TMC" in the lower LH corner, what does it say on Tech Pack with Connect?

Doesn't that change according to if you have the mmi set to receive traffic alerts?

Yeh, TP is traffic priority so it'll be for people who have that option set.

It's a service that's broadcast over the classic FM frequency, free.

Strictly speaking, it's only "free" in the sense that you, as the end user, have nothing further to pay to use this service, as it's already been paid for by buying the Sat Nav from Audi, who have already paid the "royalty/licence".

In Ireland, I believe the TMC channel is carried by RTE Radio.

Anyway, here's what the bottom LH corner looks like when you have both TMC and TP selected:

LsdErcG.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: illingworth22
Strictly speaking, it's only "free" in the sense that you, as the end user, have nothing further to pay to use this service, as it's already been paid for by buying the Sat Nav from Audi, who have already paid the "royalty/licence".

In Ireland, I believe the TMC channel is carried by RTE Radio.

Anyway, here's what the bottom LH corner looks like when you have both TMC and TP selected:

LsdErcG.jpg

So do I have to listen to RTE to get the TMC to show up.. or will it automatically pick up the info? Also I have no options to switch it on.... if that's what you have to do!

I wondered if Audi Ireland had not paid the license for the TMC and this was the reason for not having it showing up.

First part of question only - no you don't have to listen to RTE - they are simply the "carrier" of the TMC data! In the UK it is Classic FM. I'm not sure about Audi Ireland but I think that in Germany it is not free and has to be subscribed to. But