Supagard sucker

Mostly Grouchy

Reaction score
Ok, so I let myself be sold Supagard with my new A3 because I hadn't done my research on this forum before going and placing my order, but I got a reasonable overall price so I wasn't too upset about it. I was expecting for £399 that it would be applied for me, though, rather than a tacky black holdall of cleaning products being slung in the boot when I collected my new pride and joy last Friday! Is this normal or has the p!ss been taken even more than the price alone suggests? Should I go back and ask them to put it on, or am I better off doing without and putting it down to experience, maybe flogging the kit on eBay? Advice please...

The kit is to maintain the sealant/ car. It will already be applied to the vehicle.

OK, thanks. How do I know it has been applied, is there any way of tell or do I just have to trust them? I priced up the contents of the kit on the Supagard website and, regardless of whether it is worth the money or not, the contents come to £79.

Having washed my car 3 times in a row the penny dropped and eventually Audi admitted it hadn't been done!
£400 for nothing and difficult to prove.

Part of what you paid will be the labour for applying it, which does take some time. Its not a bad product, but whether it's worth £400 would certainly be up for debate.

The other one the dealers sell is Autoglym Lifeshine, possibly better product, but again, over priced in comparison to other solutions.

That said, I have LifeShine. Didn't know I was getting it, dealer just revealed it when I collected the car so a nice thing to have included in the price.

Sent photos of car with no beading when wet to head Audi UK they referred back to the dealer who admitted it but only verbally. Said not just me! Also no scotchguardy smell in car when I picked it up. Blue sticker in window though!

Having washed my car 3 times in a row the penny dropped and eventually Audi admitted it hadn't been done!
£400 for nothing and difficult to prove.

In what way did the penny drop and you realised that it hadn't been done...?

You should have received a small booklet, new vehicle guarantee, from the dealer, showing you and your car's details, and which treatments were applied.

The guarantee number in the top right hand corner can be confirmed with Supagard themselves at - info@supagard.co.uk

Supagard used to also provide a guarantee against stains on the treated upholstery. Don't know of that is still the case but if so, that would contribute to the cost.

I have never bought it but GF's car had it.

John.

If that's the case then the dealers have been very naughty indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised of this doesn't happen quite a bit!

I'd never pay a dealer to touch my paintwork again (and I certainly wouldn't accept a free wash).

Push for some compensation, you've definitely earned it (free service as a minimum).

No paperwork of any kind in the kit or received with the car, plus the salesman's "Oh, I forgot you'd ordered Supagard!" at pick up time are making me increasingly suspicious. I will call Supagard direct tomorrow to find out what they think I should have received and then go back to the dealer to ask some pointed questions. Can anyone offer any photos of what water drops might look like with and without the treatment? I'll let you know how I get on...

Those Supergard kits are pretty cheap to the dealer from Supergard themselves, the markup is massive much like the markup on GAP it's where the dealers claw back money in the deals they do.

ygy3u7y3.jpg
a3eny6e8.jpg
ybe8anyv.jpg
2yje5ava.jpg
he6anazu.jpg

Last edited:
Been meaning to post the above for a while now.

When I ordered my car was offered the Lifeshine kit for £299. I declined as have picked up enough skill over the years with detailing to keep car immaculate myself. When I picked up my car I got this given to me for free by salesman.

The pictures posted are only half of the Lifeshine kit. This retails I understand for approx £69. The other part is the really nice branded Autoglym bag with all the "top up" treatments etc.

Basically this is a massive con. Very simple instructions to install - spray product 1 in to the seats and wipe with the sponge. Apply bottle 2 with a microfibre and then buff with the white cotton material. Bottle 3 is the glass guard. Drip on the windscreen and then buff with microfibre.

That's it. Easy as that - £299 is a joke for this and I know some people have paid upwards of £500. I doubt any of these products will last more than a month and as you can see there is only enough for one treatment.

Total pants......

Reactions: nervus and warren_S5
Been meaning to post the above for a while now.

When I ordered my car was offered the Lifeshine kit for £299. I declined as have picked up enough skill over the years with detailing to keep car immaculate myself. When I picked up my car I got this given to me for free by salesman.

The pictures posted are only half of the Lifeshine kit. This retails I understand for approx £69. The other part is the really nice branded Autoglym bag with all the "top up" treatments etc.

Basically this is a massive con. Very simple instructions to install - spray product 1 in to the seats and wipe with the sponge. Apply bottle 2 with a microfibre and then buff with the white cotton material. Bottle 3 is the glass guard. Drip on the windscreen and then buff with microfibre.

That's it. Easy as that - £299 is a joke for this and I know some people have paid upwards of £500. I doubt any of these products will last more than a month and as you can see there is only enough for one treatment.

Total pants......

Lol, that probably explains why my dealer didn't even bother trying to sell it to me and just whacked it on for free.

But you're right, friends have been quoted £400 to £500 for this by other dealers... Ridiculous.

Reactions: Pulp84
I was given a lifeshine kit when I purchased my VW Golf MK6 a couple of years ago for free, the bag is actually quite nice but wouldnt have paid for it way overpriced!

I've spoken to the dealer and mentioned the lack of water beading, sticker and guarantee. He assures me that the Supagard was applied, but as they haven't supplied me with the paperwork they are going to re-apply it for me next week. Clearly some failure in their processes, somewhere along the line...

My priority was to get a refund then pay a detailer. But they gave the refund and detailed the car.

My priority was to get a refund then pay a detailer. But they gave the refund and detailed the car.

In another Universe where I have the time and energy to fight every fight I probably would try for this, but I did agree to buy it in the first place and it would no doubt be a pain to have to get irrefutable proof if it were to turn out it wasn't done in the first place, so this will do for me. Sometimes life is too short...

Thank you to everyone for your information and advice, though, or I wouldn't have got this far!

Reactions: nervus
I bought both parts of the Lifeshine kit on eBay and applied it myself when I got the car. V easy to do and cost me under £100 instead of the £399 the dealer wanted. The paintwork beaded beautifully until I 'topped up' the treatment with the Autoglym wax/polish that came in the Audi Lifeshine holdall. Now, after 2 washes - no beading... :-( Probably should have left well alone. Call me old fashioned but I think a lot of these 'paint protection systems' are a bit gimmicky. Maybe u just can't beat a good quality wax and a lot of elbow grease!!

Would agree with you. I just can't see how it can give anything other than a few months protection.

I've heard very good things about the G-technic system......think it is big £££ though.

I bought both parts of the Lifeshine kit on eBay and applied it myself when I got the car. V easy to do and cost me under £100 instead of the £399 the dealer wanted. The paintwork beaded beautifully until I 'topped up' the treatment with the Autoglym wax/polish that came in the Audi Lifeshine holdall. Now, after 2 washes - no beading... :-( Probably should have left well alone. Call me old fashioned but I think a lot of these 'paint protection systems' are a bit gimmicky. Maybe u just can't beat a good quality wax and a lot of elbow grease!!

I have LifeShine and use aqua wax every few weeks. The key to using aqua wax is to use as little as possible. I've been using it for 18 months with excellent beading and gloss each time.

Reactions: S3quatt
I've already said to the dealer I doubt I'll be going for Lifeshine but if he was to offer it for free, should I take it? I was intending to take it to a detailer at some point when it's delivered but I'm not sure how soon I could do it so don't really want wholly unprotected paintwork.....

General consensus seems to be to leave fresh paint/clearcoat for ~30 days to finish curing and hardening before sealing/waxing it. For a new build car then that time has already passed getting from factory to dealer to you.

Can't comment on life shine as I don't have it but some others on here would be able to help.

John.

Reactions: benhock101
Pal of mine runs a very successful car valeting business, he even has contracts with Porsche dealers and a few celebs. His view on supagard = don't even go there! Let's just say he's had more than a few jobs to sort out what's been or not been done by having that treatment. The rep did his best to persuade me though :Flush: I suppose they pick up a few more quid in commission for it ...

I used the nanolex system, a lot easier than g-tech stuff. Approx 18 months protection but that means it had to be maintained properly. This was applied beginning of March and just washed weeklyImage

This is the beading after the weekends rain

Rich

To be fair to my dealer, the line "Look, it has the Queen's symbol on it, and if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for you!" did make me laugh :lmfao:

Might see if I can just blag the aftercare kit for free without the actual treatment

Only my opinion, but I would steer well clear of any dealer-flogged paint protection. Prices are ridiculous for what you get and any sealant/wax etc is only ever as good as the preparation that went into the paintwork before it's applied.

When I got my last car, I read up on detailing forums about how to look after your paintwork and concluded it's really not rocket science. There's a multidude of products out there with very little to choose between them. You pays your money and takes your choice. But the vast majority will allow you to achieve at least as good results as you will get form Supagard etc applied by a lacky in a dealership's back yard.

Use snow foam, wash with two bucket method with a decent shampoo and lambswool mit, dry thoroughly, then apply sealant/wax and buff. Add in a yearly or 6 monthly clay bar treatment and you are sorted. 90% of what a pro detailer will achieve for 10% of the cost (assuming you don't attach any value to your time - I do normally, but not when it comes to the odd splurge on cleaning my car - decorating/gardening etc - that's a different story!)

I did the above with my GTR and after 5 years the paintwork still popped beautifully - doesn't stops the stone chips but people will overlook that on a 5 year old car if it looks right overall.

So, my view is DIY.

Reactions: benhock101
I wouldn't take this type of product from a dealer if it were free.
In fact if they were to offer me £400 cash back I'd still decline to have them do it.

Take your money to a local detailer.

I wouldn't take this type of product from a dealer if it were free.
In fact if they were to offer me £400 cash back I'd still decline to have them do it.

Take your money to a local detailer.

My Autoglym kit as I posted earlier in the thread is still unused for that very reason.....I'm sure I'll find someone to take it off me for a few squids :blush: