S3 throttle pedal?

SilureMark

Reaction score
Anyone else think the throttle pedal in their S3 is a little too sensitive? I only have to rest the weight of my foot on it to sink the pedal almost to the floor. I'm having to adapt my driving style to compensate for it - otherwise I am getting a lot of fatigue in my right calf as I constantly have to adjust my right foot to hold constant speeds. I may well take it into the dealer for a lookise, as it really shouldn't be like that? I am sure I have read on this forum some else with an S3 having the same issue? Cheers ...

Are you in 'S' mode a lot,or are you talking about 'D'. In D I would actually say the opposite, because at constant speeds the a-tronic gear box trying to be as efficient as possible, I'd say throttle response in occasion is a little dull, although much better in 'S'. Certainly don't get fatigue on the motorway, although I do use ACC a lot to be fair

I've not noticed it being that light, feels quite similar to my 8P in fact.

No issues for me. Actually prefer it to the floor hinged version from 8P.

I think he is saying that the pedal resistance is too light...

Correct.

It's very light compared to wife's boxster gts, which is probably why I am experiencing this as I have been using her car a fair bit of late; I only have to rest my foot on it and it's half way to the floor. Found that by sitting a little further back has helped a lot. The high driving position of the s3 doesn't help. New car foibles I suppose, I'm getting used to it... thanks for the replies.

I am not finding mine too light, but I am finding the angle uncomfortable (its a manual).
Like you, my right shin starts to ache.

I have messed about with the seat settings a lot, but no use.

I then noticed that some shoes are a lot worse than others. Some trainers are particularly bad (6 stripe Dsquared to be precise!). They are very rigid and the soles don't have much flex in them.

So I'm like a woman now....... Needing to decide what shoes to wear if it's going to be a long drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanecullen89, SilureMark and Pulp84
I'm the same - driving shoes are a must!

Slightly off topic - has anyone else's throttle pedal scratched really bad?

Only done 580 miles in mine and it looks a bit sorry for itself!

Honestly what are you lot like! I wear my work shoes the majority of the time driving it, and their not exactly driving shoes and they're fine, its not a lotus elise! ;) I'd recommend ACC, the perfect remedy for sore shin/knee/ankle and shoe dilemmas :nyah:

Although I will admit, I do miss my Scirocco's floor hinged pedal, I'm not a massive fan of the hanging pedal, and I do think it was easier on my ankle...

I am not finding mine too light, but I am finding the angle uncomfortable (its a manual).
Like you, my right shin starts to ache.

I have messed about with the seat settings a lot, but no use.

I then noticed that some shoes are a lot worse than others. Some trainers are particularly bad (6 stripe Dsquared to be precise!). They are very rigid and the soles don't have much flex in them.

So I'm like a woman now....... Needing to decide what shoes to wear if it's going to be a long drive.

I've actually found exactly the same as you. I messed around for ages the other day, trying to find the perfect driving position and failed. The seating angle, as it's increased to get a better driving position, becomes uncomfortable for me. The way the adjusts are made on the seats IMO is very poor. I can jump in the wife's GTS and get comfortable in seconds, but not so in my S3. I still maintain the throttle pedal is far too easily depressed. I sat in a work colleagues mk2 S3 this morning and the throttle pedal in that is so much better than mine; he tried mine and immediately saw my point.

So, I can get my legs and feet where I want them, but then I find I get fatigue in my right calf as I can't balance my right foot on the pedal. I was finding I was constantly accelerating when I didn't want to and having to lift off or brake to compensate. Really annoying. However, lower the seat (not that it goes very low!) and change footwear - hey presto the problem almost goes away. Annoying, but fixable I suppose. Also, this is one of those things that does sit in the mind - the more you think about it, the more conscious of things you get. So, good or bad, I have adjusted everything as close to perfect as I can get it, made a note of all adjustments (so when the missis ****** around with it I can get change everything back) stopped driving in my meindl boots and will just get used to it. Must say, it's a surprise to me that the car is such a pain in this regard.

I've not got a problem with the throttle pedal weight (it's light but so is the brake - typically Audi), but I share the concerns about the driving position. I just don't think they got it right in this car. I'm constantly fiddling with the seat adjusters to try to get comfortable and have come to the conclusion that the it's more the relative pedal box and steering wheel positioning that#s not good enough. Basically, I think there is too little reach and rake adjustment on steering column. When I get the seat right in relation to the pedals, so that my legs don't feel cramped up, I feel like I'm reaching for the wheel a bit and that it's a bit too high. Quite irritating and will be even more so when my better half starts to drive it more, with no memory function. Grrrr.

Jumped in my GTR for a last drive the other day and it instantly felt right - just way better. This also emphasised how a brake pedal should feel - the s3 pedal is too light and with too much travel.

Reactions: SilureMark and Soulboy
I've not got a problem with the throttle pedal weight (it's light but so is the brake - typically Audi), but I share the concerns about the driving position. I just don't think they got it right in this car. I'm constantly fiddling with the seat adjusters to try to get comfortable and have come to the conclusion that the it's more the relative pedal box and steering wheel positioning that#s not good enough. Basically, I think there is too little reach and rake adjustment on steering column. When I get the seat right in relation to the pedals, so that my legs don't feel cramped up, I feel like I'm reaching for the wheel a bit and that it's a bit too high. Quite irritating and will be even more so when my better half starts to drive it more, with no memory function. Grrrr.

Jumped in my GTR for a last drive the other day and it instantly felt right - just way better. This also emphasised how a brake pedal should feel - the s3 pedal is too light and with too much travel.

Completely concur with every word! The amount of adjustment in the steering column is utterly pathetic and when I can get into a reasonably good driving position, it's marred by the steering wheel being a bit too far away. I'm sure they designed the ergonomics of the car around a orangutan! Like you, I get into our other car (boxster GTS) and everything is perfect. In the S3 it's a compromise and a poor one at that. There's nothing I can do about it, so I will live with it, but if someone asked me would I recommend the S3 to them, I would warn them that they may find it difficult to find a good driving position. I've now got it as good as I can hope for, but it's not the greatest and after 3 weeks and 1,300 miles I am still ******* around adjusting things in the hope I'll finally get comfortable.

Im 6ft tall, slim. Ive not had any issues whatsoever int he S3. Fits me fine.

I didn't think the throttle was too light until i was sat in traffic with handbrake on and I accidentally tapped the throttle and started moving forward (S-Stronic).

Im 6ft tall, slim. Ive not had any issues whatsoever int he S3. Fits me fine.

I didn't think the throttle was too light until i was sat in traffic with handbrake on and I accidentally tapped the throttle and started moving forward (S-Stronic).

Have you got long arms and short legs? I must be the other way around :sm4:

Maybe I have. I've heard a lot of people saying they cant get sat right. But its fine for me.

Could this be the Audi test driver?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 430
Steeve! Thats me on Skegness beach. Where did you get that from!

I didn't want to read this. After almost 5yrs in a manual GTI, where I simply could never get a comfortable position and aggravating old back injuries, I decided to go for the S3 with S-tronic. I immediately found the driving position comfortable and didn't notice the throttle wasn't floor mounted. Although the GTI was the only car I have had that had a floor mounted throttle.

Have you got long arms and short legs? I must be the other way around :sm4:

I'm the other way round (usually have trouble with steering wheels feeling too far away) but I don't find it a problem in the S3.

We're all different, so no surprise there's a mix of opinions. I had a mk5 golf gti - hugely comfortable car, never had a problem with that one. I would say this S3 is the worst car I have ever owned in respect of the driving position. I'd tell anyone thinking of buying one to try to get a long test drive. I drove two S3's and both times it wasn't really for that long and I had just climbed out of my (then) cayman s, so it was bound to feel very different. I'm 5'11, 12.08 stone, stocky build (I play a lot of rugby) - so near enough Mr Average (with a six pack lol) I would say... with seat adjusted to support my legs, the steering wheel is just a little but too far away to be comfortable. As you adjust the front squab the ****** whole seat tilts upward, which doesn't help. I constantly have to lean forward as I steer and the throttle pedal is far too easy to push down with just the weight of my foot, so I am constantly having to adjust my footing to avoid speeding... it's not good at all. The dealer is going to take a look at the pedal tomorrow for me and I am going to try to find a compromise seating position and stick with it - that way I will eventually settle in. If not, then I'll get rid of and trade it for something else. Shame if it comes to that, but thus far the S3 for me has been a little disappointing in some respects. The previous S3 I had did not have any of these issues. I think Audi have cut too many corners in certain areas. We shall see. I also notice the boot is smaller on the new car! I had my old load liner and when I tried to fit found it was too big! Only by a few inches, but WTF... :ermm:

When I bought my 8P DSG four years ago I had lots of problems that related to the throttle (pitching, hesitation, jerking, slamming, false neutrals). Took me a while to sort everything out because I needed to learn how to manipulate the throttle correctly. Driving shoes helped. A couple of weeks ago I got to see the new Piloti driving shoes. They should be available soon.