Badger5EM Tuning

Thread: Aircon

1st Gear

Status

Aircon

Now we've had some warmer days, how effective is everyone finding the aircon in their A3's? I'm not finding mine overly cold, it is working, cool air comes out, but for a brand new car I'd expect colder. Takes an age to cool car down even with blowers on max.

Can aircon have a problem where it works with part efficiency?
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Don't have mine yet so can't say, but from previous experience in other cars, I've never found bog standard aircon to be that great... Climate control on the other hand has worked brilliantly in every car I've ever had with it.... wouldn't be surprised if the story is pretty similar for the A3... I'm sure some other folk who actually have their car will share their experiences soon

Stronic

Status
    I have no problems with my climate control, and have it usually set at 22 deg, and have only had to lower it to 21 a couple of times. All in all, I find it's very effective.
    A3 Sport saloon 1.4 COD, Monsoon Grey + several nice options!

I have the Electronic Climate Control on my A3 and have no problem with it at all. I usually leave it set at 20 degrees and it keeps the car nice and cool. If the car has been parked in the sun for some time it is always a good idea to open all the windows and let the hot air escape before driving off. Have a look at your Owner's Manual and make sure you have all the settings in the right place.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    Not found it a problem but do acknowledge that the initial cooling does not seem as heavy duty as previous cars. Perhaps it's a smaller aircon unit to be more energy efficient?

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

Neutral

Status
    Climate Control in my A3 SB S-Line works really well (always have it on eco setting). I keep it on Auto with the AC button on and just let it do its thing really (except when have the pano roof open). Have also set the auto air recirculation via the MMI.

On a side note, I do love the way you can make the air-flow more focused just by gently pulling out the central part of each vent. Very air-plane like.
    Collected: Audi A3 8V Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Ice Silver, Alu Roof Rails, Audi Side Assist, B&O Audio, Comfort Pack (w/ACC, Parking System Plus & Park Assist), Sports Suspension, Elec Folding Mirrors, Ext Interior Mono-Pur, Fine Nappa Seats, Heated Front Seats, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, Non-Smoking Package, Pano Glass Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Reversing Camera, Technology Package, Load-Through System, Tyre Pressure Monitor. 4 Year Warranty

Reverse Gear

Status
    No problems here either, ice cold from 20 degrees down.
    Audi A3 Sportback S-Line, Daytona Grey, Full LED Headlights, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, TPMS, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks gents. I will get it booked In. Even when set to 16oc I'm not finding it very effective. I do have climate control and eco mode off.
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

6th Gear

Status
    Just a tip I picked with my ford that might apply. Do not constantly keep adjusting the settings, just set it to auto and between 19c to 22c and let it do its work. If you fiddle with the CC all the time it can't find a correct balance.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Neutral

Status
    You do have your A/C red button lit don't you?

Just checking.

5th Gear

Status
    Assuming you haven't got a leak and lost all your refrigerant .........

As a rule of thumb if the air coming out the vents is between 8-12c cooler than the cabin temp when it is on max (lo) and have the fans set to auto, there is no problem and the system is working efficiently.

(Source: Air Con Query )

Or -
    With the outside ambient temp around 20'C, in the shade
    Max Cold, Fan Low, air leaving the evaporator should be around 5'C at idle

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG