Aircon

andywil13

Reaction score
Now we've had some warmer days, how effective is everyone finding the aircon in their A3's? I'm not finding mine overly cold, it is working, cool air comes out, but for a brand new car I'd expect colder. Takes an age to cool car down even with blowers on max.

Can aircon have a problem where it works with part efficiency?

Don't have mine yet so can't say, but from previous experience in other cars, I've never found bog standard aircon to be that great... Climate control on the other hand has worked brilliantly in every car I've ever had with it.... wouldn't be surprised if the story is pretty similar for the A3... I'm sure some other folk who actually have their car will share their experiences soon :)

I have no problems with my climate control, and have it usually set at 22 deg, and have only had to lower it to 21 a couple of times. All in all, I find it's very effective.

I have the Electronic Climate Control on my A3 and have no problem with it at all. I usually leave it set at 20 degrees and it keeps the car nice and cool. If the car has been parked in the sun for some time it is always a good idea to open all the windows and let the hot air escape before driving off. Have a look at your Owner's Manual and make sure you have all the settings in the right place.

Not found it a problem but do acknowledge that the initial cooling does not seem as heavy duty as previous cars. Perhaps it's a smaller aircon unit to be more energy efficient?

John.

Climate Control in my A3 SB S-Line works really well (always have it on eco setting). I keep it on Auto with the AC button on and just let it do its thing really (except when have the pano roof open). Have also set the auto air recirculation via the MMI.

On a side note, I do love the way you can make the air-flow more focused just by gently pulling out the central part of each vent. Very air-plane like.

Thanks gents. I will get it booked In. Even when set to 16oc I'm not finding it very effective. I do have climate control and eco mode off.

Just a tip I picked with my ford that might apply. Do not constantly keep adjusting the settings, just set it to auto and between 19c to 22c and let it do its work. If you fiddle with the CC all the time it can't find a correct balance.

You do have your A/C red button lit don't you?

Just checking.

Assuming you haven't got a leak and lost all your refrigerant .........

As a rule of thumb if the air coming out the vents is between 8-12c cooler than the cabin temp when it is on max (lo) and have the fans set to auto, there is no problem and the system is working efficiently.

(Source: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/219580-air-con-query.html#post2187568 )

Or -
With the outside ambient temp around 20'C, in the shade
Max Cold, Fan Low, air leaving the evaporator should be around 5'C at idle