Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mjcourtney

Thread: Any experience with Xenon Plus Adaptive Headlights?

Neutral

Status

Any experience with Xenon Plus Adaptive Headlights?

I keep going over the spec of the S3 Saloon I've ordered to make sure I don't later regret not speccing something. The car isn't expected until December so I've got a bit of time yet to change stuff.

I've been looking at the Xenon Adaptive Headlights again and just can't find enough info to show they really are worthwhile.

Has anyone got them and honestly say they would always have them on a new car? Are they really that noticable?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I too considered this for a long time. I didn't want to fork out £900 for LED headlights so was looking at the adaptive Xenon's. But after watching every S3 review video and looking at the pictures I had to go for the LED lights, they just look so good on the Audi. If you can afford them then I'd get the LED's.

However, I can't give a balanced opinion from a usage perspective as I don't have them on my S3 saloon.

6th Gear

Status
    I like them. I have them on my Sport (so the only option above halogens - LEDs weren't out when I ordered, but don't think I'd have bothered with them anyway) and they work well. They go around corners as you steer, and I added the variable range headlight control to them as well which is also pretty good in most situations.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    I have standard Xenons on my A3. I have adaptive Xenons on my Skoda Superb. Whilst the adaptive system is great when cornering at night, it can be a bit disconcerting as it realigns itself as you straighten the wheel. I've not yet missed the adaptive oin the A3, but then I've only had it since March, and the nights are still getting longer...
    '14 plate 2 litre 184 quattro stronic s-line with DTUK box fitted. Extras: comfort pack, progressive steering, adaptive cruise, leather/alcantara seats + lumbar support, Audi sound system, interior lighting, SD card satnav, auto release (aka hill hold), TPM. Daytona Grey.

2nd Gear

Status
    We both have adaptive headlights. They work quite well on our twisty rural roads. Though if I lived in a city and rarely did any rural driving I'm not sure they would be much use.

Neutral

Status
    Looks like they're ok then but not really a big improvement over the standards bi-xenons.
    Not sure if they're worth the extra money.

5th Gear

Status
    The original swiveling headlights

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

2nd Gear

Status

Any experience with Xenon Plus Adaptive Headlights?

My 8V was my first car with Xenons so there is an obvious step up from Halogens. That said, I did go for the adaptive Xenons and I do like them. They turn enough to help light up corners and also have an asymmetric beam pattern with a longer reach on the nearside. I do notice and miss them when driving a car without them. As posted above they turn on steering angle not yaw so it is possible to look as though you are having an oversteer moment when still perfectly in control.

There is an MMI setting for driving on the continent so no need for a visit to the dealer and no need for beam adjustment stickers. Not sure whether the normal Xenons have to be changed by the dealer or not - if not then the beam pattern must be lower.

Would I spec again? Yes.

Would I spec them over folding mirrors - yes.
    Would I spec them over Audi Sound System? No, Audi Sound System would get my money if I had to choose between them.

John.
    Last edited by JohnnyM100; 16th June 2014 at 16:18. Reason: typo
    Enjoying my 8V

5th Gear

Status
    I had adaptive headlights on my RS4 and they were great for driving at night along country rounds.

However for my S3, I've specced LED lights.
    Due soon... 2014 (MY15) Audi S3 Sportback, S-Tronic, Sepang Blue, lots of options!

VCDS in Aberdeen

2nd Gear

Status
    I've got them on my TT but only because they were part of the Xenon package. Probably wouldn't have bothered if choice was there. But for my A3 I've gone for the LED headlights. I think the jury's out as to whether they are optically better but they certainly look the dogs on the car! Nothing beats their wow factor but at quite a cost!
    Collection 4 August: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

3rd Gear

Status
    I personally thought the adaptive lights on A3 courtesy car I had were not great.

Because of the swivelling motion I actually found they actually had a narrower band than standard Audi Xenons (which are brighter) in their straight a head position. If you have a recent BMW with their version of adaptive lights you would be very let down by the Audi version and maybe that clouded my opinion (have a 320d daily driver with adaptive lights).

If it was between adaptive or LED's I'd go for the latter. If not considering adaptive then would just stick with the standard Xenons as think they are superb.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

5th Gear

Status
    I have standard xenon's on my A3. A courtesy A3 I had a few weeks ago had Adaptive Xenon's (discovered this whilst turning Into the drive and noticing the weird swivel of the lights).

I only had a chance to drive in the evenings a few times with the courtesy car, but I could notice the overall difference.

Did it make me regret not ordering if on mine? No, as said above, the standard xenon's give a better spread of flat light. Save the money and put it towards something else
    veeeight and Pulp84 like this.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    I just noticed that the LEDs also have adaptive lighting, motorway lighting, etc built in, add the fact that the front indicators look a bit better too, I'll have to have a rethink.

Neutral

Status
    I've got the standard xenons on mine that come on the S Line and I think they perform and look superb. Would thoroughly recommend them to anyone

2nd Gear

Status
    I really like my LED lights, would buy again for sure.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

Neutral

Status
    I'm going to stick with the standard xenon and save the cash, might add something else instead as I haven't got a build week yet.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinbanshee View Post
    I'm going to stick with the standard xenon and save the cash, might add something else instead as I haven't got a build week yet.
    Sounds wise mate!! The standard xenons are superb